Bose Triport or Senns PX200
Jun 11, 2004 at 10:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

outdoors

New Head-Fier
Between the Bose Triport at about $150 or the Senns PX200 at about $59 ? What do y'all think ? I have tried the Triport and thought it sounded good. Does the Senns for only $59 sound as good or better ? Going to plug them in to an iPOD. Thanks everyone !!

Jun 11, 2004 at 10:52 PM Post #3 of 14
No.

Don't make the mistake I did and buy these. They may be comfortable, but DON'T buy the Bose TriPorts - they are not worth the 150 dollars you are going to be paying. The sound quality is awful, and virtually no sound-staging present.

Those Sennheisers will probably sound better.

If you want to spend the same ammount on headphones, but want a GOOD pair, get the Grados SR-125.

Jun 11, 2004 at 10:54 PM Post #4 of 14
well, i think the reaction of everyone here would be that the triport is comfortable, but overpriced and you can get something sound much much better sounding with the same amount.

as for the px200, it is a durable and portable headphone if you want to use it muffle outside noises. 60USD is $20 more than what i would pay for a new pair of px200 though.

Jun 12, 2004 at 12:02 AM Post #5 of 14
You can find a set of ER4P on our for sale/thread sections from time to time ~$160

Jun 12, 2004 at 12:24 AM Post #6 of 14
I can assure you that the PX200s sound *WAY* better than the Bose Triports. Even if they were cheaper and not 3x the price, I'd still recommend the PX200s over the Triports.

Friends don't let friends buy Bose.

Jun 12, 2004 at 1:37 AM Post #7 of 14
The Triport blocks a good deal of outside sound, but it's not a really good listening instrument. It's a great step up from stock earbuds and $10 headphones, but its handling of some complex musical passages literally made me grimace. Their price is far out of proportion to their value.

The PX200 is fairly nice for the price (you can do better than $59, though - just click through to a Head-Fi sponsor). It has a musical sound and while it doesn't make me grin with delight, it never makes me grimace. How much outside sound it blocks depends heavily on the wearer. For me it blocks almost none.

For the price of the Triports you could also consider the Sennheiser PXC-250. Essentially it is the PX200 with active noise reduction. I feel it's a better, more musical headphone than the PX200, and the ANR is a nice feature. However some people find the ANR effect uncomfortable and don't like it.

Jun 12, 2004 at 2:11 AM Post #8 of 14
Skip em both and get the legendary Koss KSC-35s. Woot, and check my sig to see how I feel about Bose.
-Mag

Jun 12, 2004 at 2:27 AM Post #9 of 14
the ksc35 have a fuller sound and better high frequencies, but it very open so it fully allow noises to come in and out. also it is cheaply built so you have to be careful with it. it is pretty good sounding alright.

Jun 12, 2004 at 8:13 AM Post #10 of 14
Point of advice that seems all too true lately: Buying anything but Bose will always get you something better than Bose. I go with Grado's, but they don't seem to be right for your situation. I heard those Triports for around 15 seconds, and they sounded as good as my old Aiwa XP222's, a 30$ set of 'phones.

~He's through with bars, now he's eating cars, Cadillacs, Pontiacs, and Subaru~

Jun 13, 2004 at 11:40 PM Post #12 of 14
I had the Bose Triports for 10 minutes before they broke...I was very disapointed. I got the Grado SR60s instead for my iPod Mini and they are great, fantastic I would say. The SR60s even sound good at low volumes...the bass in particular.

Jun 14, 2004 at 12:39 AM Post #13 of 14
I never thought I would actually choose a Bose Triport over something, but the Triport is better than the PX200 which is plainly awful. The triport isn't good either, and I would recommend the Sennheiser HD497 as your best bet for cheap headphones. It sounds similar to the Grado SR225, but with more bass, and less bright treble. The 497's are open, but I've found that you can't really get a decent closed headphone under $200 anyways (that has good bass at least).

EDIT: Compared to the Grado SR60's the HD497 has a wider "headstage" (soundstage) and it's treble is less bright, but more detailed. It's bass also sounds louder due to it having a more balanced frequency response. The 497 is still grainy in the highs, like any lower end Grado (including the SR225), but it's detail and balance can't really be beat by anything under $100.

Jun 14, 2004 at 12:51 AM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by violeta88
...I've found that you can't really get a decent closed headphone under $200 anyways (that has good bass at least).

Well, I agree with that for the most part. The trouble with most closed headphones under $200 is that they deliver either weak or bloated/muddy bass response.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back