Bose Tri Port IE a Review
Nov 10, 2006 at 6:59 AM Post #16 of 34
Nice to hear from you again, Myo. It's also nice to see Bose put out a quality headphone for the money. Maybe they have a few "moles" that navigate these forums. I don't see any end in sight to bashing the Bose Triport, however, which IMO is well deserved.

Nov 10, 2006 at 7:15 AM Post #17 of 34
Interesting news...
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 10, 2006 at 8:00 AM Post #18 of 34
I picked up a pair of these today and I'm pretty happy with them so far. They are really comfortable and sound pretty good. It's pretty interesting to be able to listen to Film & The BB's at work without missing all the lowend.

Nov 10, 2006 at 7:38 PM Post #19 of 34
I got a pair from CC a few days ago and have noted that the sound quality has smoothed out (less bassy) while I have been burning them in. They were very bassy when I first tried them out but now they have a nice low end, more than any of my other buds.

One issue is that the silicone ear sleeves are very soft and grabby. They get pulled off from friction from my shirt. In three days, a sleeve has come off twice. Bose does sell replacement pairs for only $5.00 shipped.

Nov 10, 2006 at 9:52 PM Post #20 of 34
time for a bit of an update, I have been purposely refraining from listening to these ear buds for long periods of time while break in period.

These have been burning in non-stop for the last two days.

first
some annoyances, I here popping and clicking on some tracks it might very well be a bad conversion or song rip, at the moment its difficult to tell whether its distorting from clipping or just a bad rip. it happens on some occasions. Could also be result of treble boost eq.

the good stuff,
the ear buds are more than acceptable for casual listening. Sound stage is massive with electronic and digital type music like trance and dance along with very strong bass presence.

the buds seem to love acoustic music. Live music and acoustic guutars are fantasic along with piano tracks. this literally spanks my superfi pro 5's in terms of sound stage, and Im a huge fan of sound stage. I prefer soundstage over flat frequency response when Im casually listening. Of course id like to have both. But at this price and considering the equipment im using is considered lo-fi, Im not expecting anything great anyway.

keeping my expectations ho hum and knowing what equipment is being used, the bose tri ports so far have performed admirably.

switching between treble boost and flat and off eq on the nano listening to any of these seem much more tolerable. They arent as dark as I remember them, and the sound stage is so massive for electronic music its just sick.
the sound stage on these expand beyone the paremeters of my head, which is something i have never experience with any inner earphones, which includes the shure e2c, superfi pro fi, koss something or other (you know they one everyone raves about) and a slew of other budget ear buds.

do I regret the purchase? no, will I be returning these? so far no.

once again, if you are a sound stage fan, give these buds a shot, make sure to run them through its courses and not judge them from 15 minutes of listening before they had back to the store. IMO is a mistake anyone can do. these buds need a bit of tener loving care before they really shine.

now back to details in sound stage. there is a very large horzontal sound stage, and not only that there is depth, in terms of vocalists are slightly farther away than other intruments on the stage.

these however dont sound very good with electric guitars, so those that listen to a lot of hard rock that use electric guitars may not like these buds.

if you listen to a lot of rap, dance, electronica, acoustic and live music, you may be in for a pleasant surprise.

Nov 10, 2006 at 10:01 PM Post #21 of 34
The soundstage that you talk of seems unbelievable. What is it in comparison to? How's it compare to the Grado soundstage?

Nov 10, 2006 at 10:02 PM Post #22 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by hugz
I would never purchase gear that requires EQing.

thats relative in terms of what you find as good or acceptable sound.
Ive usually found most of my headphone equipment would benefit from eqing at some point, but I usually dont because im lazy. the only cans Ive felt required no eq'ing would be the hd650s fully balanced and recabled. they stopped on a dime and started on a dime and were tonally accurate in what they were playing.

however single ended hd650 will darken and muddy the material every so slightly regardless of amp, while the akgs has slightly emphasized treble end. and lets not get started about Grados
smily_headphones1.gif

if one becomes to obsessive about accuracy, than IMO you are not enjoying the music. unless you are actually professional mixing music tracks, most cans are not flat eq anyhow and all of them would require some sort of eqing
smily_headphones1.gif
, and truth be told the professional music industry use much cheaper headphones that are actually more tonally accurate than most expensive "audiophile" cans out there.

however from an objective point of view, 90 percent of cans will rewuire eqing for a more neutral sound, however from a subjective point of view most folks are happy with the way their equipment sounds as is.

Nov 10, 2006 at 10:04 PM Post #23 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure
The soundstage that you talk of seems unbelievable. What is it in comparison to? How's it compare to the Grado soundstage?

grado has no soundstage. only time I heard decent sound stage from grados were on classical violin tracks. than instruments were not locatable and sound like they were outside my head, aside from that grado is very forward and has essentially no stage presence worth speaking of IMO, its more like just sound being pumped left and right of you ears.

Nov 10, 2006 at 10:12 PM Post #24 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by RnB180
grado has no soundstage. only time I heard decent sound stage from grados were on classical violin tracks. than instruments were not locatable and sound like they were outside my head, aside from that grado is very forward and has essentially no stage presence worth speaking of IMO, its more like just sound being pumped left and right of you ears.

Yes, that was what I was getting at. Though Grados have no soundstage, I'd expect them to still have a larger soundstage than IEMs (or whatever these Bose earphones are) because they are full size. So, are you saying that these BOSE earphones have a larger soundstage than Grados (I guess I still have the stereotype that earbuds have a tinny, small, condensed sound)?

Nov 10, 2006 at 10:16 PM Post #25 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure
Yes, that was what I was getting at. Though Grados have no soundstage, I'd expect them to still have a larger soundstage than IEMs (or whatever these Bose earphones are) because they are full size. So, are you saying that these BOSE earphones have a larger soundstage than Grados (I guess I still have the stereotype that earbuds have a tinny, small, condensed sound)?

its been a while since I listened to a grado, but yes these have larger soundstage than grados. another thing, these dont sound tiny at not, not ever close. they sound more like headphones than ear buds. Id call ipod stock buds tiny sounding. I suppose this is due to the massive bass and mid response. however the bose buds seem to have difficulty resolving details and high end presence.

why not just pick a pair up from a place with a liberal return policy and listen to them for yourself, but at least give it a good few days before deciding. Im still up in the air about these, I want to see how they work after a week of use. so far they definately have surpassed my expectations, but then thats not saying much as I didnt expect much from anything Bose.

Nov 10, 2006 at 11:20 PM Post #26 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by RnB180
These have been burning in non-stop for the last two days.

For me the bass didn't really settle down until day 4. After that, the bass picked up after itself and whats left of the boom faded... now its quite grounded and punchy.

Also, these things are capable of SCREAMING. Just before my sr71 ran out of juice, it gave a high pitch shriek loud enough to be heard from the next room -- I thought one of my UPS died. Good thing I wasn't wearing them when it happened or I could've lost an eardrum.
blink.gif
maybe something happenned here because now I notice that the highs are more prominent... less veiled than what I remember them.

Nov 11, 2006 at 4:31 AM Post #27 of 34
Thanks for the review Myo! I'll be picking a pair of these up, as well as a pair of the OE's Monday and will be sure to report my findings
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 12, 2006 at 3:10 PM Post #28 of 34
Hello.

Thanks for the great review.

I just picked up a pair of these yesterday, and I very happy with the sound quality so far, but I am waiting for the break in to remove some of that dark sound.

One negative comment I have is they seem to cut in and out when hooked up to my iPod shuffle, and I have the volume cranked up. Then again, you could look at this as an iPod shuffle problem.

When hooked up to my PC, they do not do this. I think it might have something to do with the fact that they are not isolating, and the volume level needs to be at a higher level then isolating headphones. The iPod shuffle can not handle the sound increase.

I have one question to anyone who has owned a pair of Shure E4C. How do these Bose IE compair to the E4C's?

I want to buy some E4C's for myself, but I live in an area where the only place I can by them is online, so returning them would not be an easy task.

Thanks,
Mike

Nov 12, 2006 at 4:25 PM Post #29 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by gbx2006
One negative comment I have is they seem to cut in and out when hooked up to my iPod shuffle, and I have the volume cranked up. Then again, you could look at this as an iPod shuffle problem.

That's a new one on me. My experience of (two) iPods has never included cut-out on high volumes, so it might be a problem with that specific Shuffle. You might try a simple gain circuit (such as the Boostaroo) to check if your hypothesis is right.

Nov 12, 2006 at 4:55 PM Post #30 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by gbx2006
I have one question to anyone who has owned a pair of Shure E4C. How do these Bose IE compair to the E4C's?

Expect a LOT less bass -- forget that subwoofer sound -- and less soundstage. There's NO iem that can compete with the IE on the bass, and I doubt there's any iem with a bigger soundstage.

If you can handle that, the e4c will probably match and better the IE in most other aspects.

Quote:

I have a shuffle and I don't have this problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back