Bose Quietcomfort2
Oct 13, 2005 at 10:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

Fanatic

New Head-Fier
I'm a total newbie when it comes to headphones. I have read the thread of suggested high end cans, and several other threads including the HF-1 special until my eyes are bleeding. The choices are simply overwhelming. So, with that out on the table, my wife purchased a pair of Bose Quetcomfort2 for me so that when our 1.5 yr old daughter is sleeping, I can still watch TV, listen to the radio or CD's, and play on my computer(gaming). She got the noise cancellation ones just in case
biggrin.gif
Onto my question....is there a better set of headphones for the money that will do the same as the Bose QC2's?

Thanks in advance for the advice
biggrin.gif

Oct 13, 2005 at 10:23 PM Post #2 of 36
Hi Fanatic,

Welcome to Head-fi, sorry about your wallet. [size=xx-small]And quietly go refund your QC2. [/size] I started with a pair of QC2 as well, but there are many headphones out there would achieve isolation without noise cancellation, also has better overall sound quality at that particular price range.

Search and you shall find! [size=xx-small]Bose bashing thread alert![/size] Good luck, and wish your headphone journey is as rewarding as mine!

Overlunge

Oct 13, 2005 at 10:37 PM Post #4 of 36
I recommand you try some Westone UM2.

Oct 13, 2005 at 10:41 PM Post #5 of 36
The QC2s are REALLY good at reducing the noise from airplanes, etc while still letting you hear your surroundings. They're not terribly hifi when it comes to music reproduction, etc. If you want SERIOUS isolation, any of a number of earbuds, from the EX71s for $30 up to the UE10s for $999 are very good. If you don't mind over the ear closed headphones, the AT A900 (see audiocubes above) or the Beyer DT770s are two good examples under $200. There are lots of other choices in almost any price range that will outperform the QC2s in all areas except constant noise reduction while allowing you to hear what's going on around you.

And sorry about your wallet, should you decide to stay...

Oct 13, 2005 at 10:55 PM Post #8 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fanatic
IEM?

IEM: In Ear Monitors, Canalphones. Etymotic ER6(i), ER4(S/P/B), Shure E2, E3, E4, E5, Ultimate Ears UE3, UE5, and various customised models, Westone, Sensaphonic, and... what did I miss?

Overlunge

Oct 13, 2005 at 10:57 PM Post #9 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by overlunge
IEM: In Ear Monitors, Canalphones. Etymotic ER6(i), ER4(S/P/B), Shure E2, E3, E4, E5, Ultimate Ears UE3, UE5, and various customised models, Westone, Sensaphonic, and... what did I miss?

Overlunge

FutureSonics EM3 and FS1

Oct 13, 2005 at 11:08 PM Post #10 of 36
You have a good wife (I wish I had a significant other that would buy me headphones
biggrin.gif
)

However, if it's possible to return them for a refund without your wife being too upset, then I think you should.

I'm not usually a BOSE Basher, but there ARE better head and ear phones available in that price range that will sound much better and isolate better.

I have a set of Shure E3C's with Foam tips and they are fantastic. You can have them set at a very nice volume and people next to you can't hear any of your music. Great for when your baby is asleep!

The sound quality is great too.

Like others have said already, Welcome to Head-Fi, sorry about your wallet (and your wife's purse
biggrin.gif
)

Oct 13, 2005 at 11:19 PM Post #11 of 36
Thanks to everyone that has provided me with so many suggestions. In looking at some of these IEM's, am I understanding correctly that they don't necessarily do any noise cancellation, but isolate the noise instead?

BTW, I really don't want to use an amplifier with em....

Oct 13, 2005 at 11:33 PM Post #12 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fanatic
Thanks to everyone that has provided me with so many suggestions. In looking at some of these IEM's, am I understanding correctly that they don't necessarily do any noise cancellation, but isolate the noise instead?

i'm pretty sure isolation and noise cancellation are one and the same. because the tips are perfectly sealing your ear canal there is very little chance of other noise getting in, thus isolating the music while cancelling external sounds.

Oct 13, 2005 at 11:36 PM Post #13 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by defjux
i'm pretty sure isolation and noise cancellation are one and the same. because the tips are perfectly sealing your ear canal there is very little chance of other noise getting in, thus isolating the music while cancelling external sounds.

I thought noise cancellation was an active part to the headphones. They produce opposite sound waves to the exterior noise that cancels out the noise. Isolation keeps the sound from reaching your eardrum. Am I wrong?

Oct 13, 2005 at 11:54 PM Post #15 of 36
Take your time to search the forums here. Carefully consider what you want.

Open Style Headphones - Normally have an open or semi open back on the driver housing. Tend to provide a little more open or airy sound to the music. People around you might hear a very limited bit of noise while you are listening but not normally enough to disturb anyone unless you’re in a library or the other person is sitting right next to you. These types of cans also will allow you to hear a little more while listening. Things like the baby crying, the wife calling for you, phone ringing, all that good stuff.

Closed Phones - These can be full size like your QC2 or smaller for portable use like the Senn PX200 and AKG 26P. The IEM's would also fall into this category but they are inserted into your ear canal. IEM's are considered to be very good at blocking or isolating any incoming noise, They also will make it very difficult to hear anything going on around you. They are largely used by people when traveling on Planes, Bus's, Trains etc or when you want to listen while in the library or other quiet place and not disturb others. The Sound quality with some of these is pretty stunning and a lot of people use them as their primary set while at home or on the move.

Many of us own some of each type to use in different environments. All have their strengths and weakness’. The bottom line is do the research and choose what you think will work best for you.

Welcome to our addiction
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back