Bose QuietComfort 35
Jun 28, 2016 at 8:57 PM Post #32 of 50
Originally Posted by rrocha View Post

You can download the dmg in https://developer.apple.com/download/more/?name=for%20Xcode
It is called Hardware IO Tools for Xcode 7.3 (current version). Mounting that image will reveal BT Explorer. You open the app (which doesn't feature an UI after run)

Then you should go to Tools->Audio Options and see the option to turn the AAC on. (screenshot below in imgur as I'm a noob and not allowed to attach images yet :p)
http://imgur.com/viyruja

After that, disconnect your headphones and reconnect. AAC should be available from now on. Haven't tried a reboot though, but I'm assuming it's a config that will stay

Jun 29, 2016 at 2:44 AM Post #33 of 50
Originally Posted by rrocha View Post

You can download the dmg in https://developer.apple.com/download/more/?name=for%20Xcode
It is called Hardware IO Tools for Xcode 7.3 (current version). Mounting that image will reveal BT Explorer. You open the app (which doesn't feature an UI after run)

Then you should go to Tools->Audio Options and see the option to turn the AAC on. (screenshot below in imgur as I'm a noob and not allowed to attach images yet :p)
http://imgur.com/viyruja

After that, disconnect your headphones and reconnect. AAC should be available from now on. Haven't tried a reboot though, but I'm assuming it's a config that will stay

I've gone through this and can get them to run connecting via AAC, but the config won't stay, even between connections sometimes.

Jun 29, 2016 at 5:49 PM Post #34 of 50
I used to own the QC25, but sold them about a year ago as I didn't do much traveling and started using CIEM's instead. However I'm considering buying the QC35 (or 25) again as I've started to travel more and more.

While I loved the noise cancellation on the QC25 I remember that there was a low "buzzing/hiss" made by the noise cancellation circuit when it was on. How is this in the QC35? Is there just no "noise" added when they are on? ie. if you are in a already completely silent room - then turning them on shouldn't add more noise - they should just "be quiet". :)

Jul 18, 2016 at 6:49 AM Post #35 of 50
Bought a pair of these QuietComfort 35. Wow, Bose has really improved from years ago. The Bluetooth range is the best I've ever had on a Bluetooth device. The ability to use the Bose smartphone app to switch between my Android LG G5, my PC's Bluetooth and the Creative BT-W2 USB Transceiver plugged into my PS4 is a godsend. The sound is really good. The comfort is unreal. I'm surprised that a Bose product has Prat and can keep up with a bassline. Highly recommended. It sounds better than Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 to me. It has a nice soundstage. Better than my Oppo PM3 in depth and width. I'm impressed. No more wires to get tangled on in. I'm a wireless believer at this point. I'm surprised by how much I don't miss my PM3. Oh, did I mentioned the noise-canceling is unreal? Now I can listen to my music and movies in peace with no distractions and background noise. My only worry is how long the lithium-ion battery will last. I would have also wanted a USB Type-C connector for charging so I don't put too much pressure the USB connector over time.

Hi there I have a PS4 as well. Just wondering if you use it for gaming chat as well and does the game audio becomes mono when using the mic paired with creative BT-W2 ? How's the sound quality?

Aug 7, 2016 at 10:31 PM Post #36 of 50
  I used to own the QC25, but sold them about a year ago as I didn't do much traveling and started using CIEM's instead. However I'm considering buying the QC35 (or 25) again as I've started to travel more and more.

While I loved the noise cancellation on the QC25 I remember that there was a low "buzzing/hiss" made by the noise cancellation circuit when it was on. How is this in the QC35? Is there just no "noise" added when they are on? ie. if you are in a already completely silent room - then turning them on shouldn't add more noise - they should just "be quiet". :)

From my brief demo they felt a lot better in that regard. The old ones used to have sort of a tension to them, if I can put it that way. I was shocked at how well they perfectly quieted a noisy store. I'd never considered getting some of these but both SQ and noise-canceling have improved to the point where I'm intrigued. Jeff

Aug 9, 2016 at 3:54 PM Post #37 of 50

From my brief demo they felt a lot better in that regard. The old ones used to have sort of a tension to them, if I can put it that way. I was shocked at how well they perfectly quieted a noisy store. I'd never considered getting some of these but both SQ and noise-canceling have improved to the point where I'm intrigued. Jeff

I decided to buy the QC25 again after comparing them with the 35. There was very little difference in sound "quality" (not better/worse, almost sure it's the same) and the ANR was exactly the same. The only difference seems to be the bluetooth connectivity that almost everyone has issues with. 
So since sound and noise reduction is the same - I decided on the QC25 again. The cable always works, and when travelling (primary purpose for these) it makes so much more sense with easy replaceable AAA-batteries.

Aug 9, 2016 at 10:09 PM Post #38 of 50

I decided to buy the QC25 again after comparing them with the 35. There was very little difference in sound "quality" (not better/worse, almost sure it's the same) and the ANR was exactly the same. The only difference seems to be the bluetooth connectivity that almost everyone has issues with. 
So since sound and noise reduction is the same - I decided on the QC25 again. The cable always works, and when travelling (primary purpose for these) it makes so much more sense with easy replaceable AAA-batteries.

Lol, most haven't had issues from what I can surmise...mine are from Day 1 and worked flawlessly since. The sound quality has been improved (not night and day), but "cutting the cable" was well worth it for me...the freedom it offers was totally worth it for me. YMMV of course.

Sep 10, 2016 at 10:28 AM Post #42 of 50
I bought the Bose Quietcomfort 35 yesterday as they feel great on my head and I liked the sound when playing music from the iPhone. However today I connected them to my MacBook. The sound was great again, listened to a couple songs. Then I turned on the microphone and tried to take a videoconferencing call and nothing but static and hissing. I thought it might be the software for the videoconferencing but I then simply went into the Macs sound settings and just testing the microphone there resulted in very audible static, hissing and high pitched whining type noises.

My question to anyone that owns these... have you tried using the mic+sound on a Mac? Did I just get a bad one? I already returned them but would be willing to give them one more shot if this isn't normal as they felt so good on my head.

Oct 15, 2016 at 2:01 PM Post #45 of 50
  I've used mine with facetime and skype on a MBPR and iphone with no problems.  Would give it another shot if I were you

Here's the other shot, cross-posted:

In case this helps anyone, I recently did a shoot-out of the QC35s, the new Sony MDR1000Xs, and the B&W P7 wireless which are not noise-cancelling (PSBM4U2s as well).  I tested them in many, many scenarios with all kinds of sounds:

* over head jets you could hit with a rock
* ambulance sirens
* loud cafe sounds (glasses, conversations)
* Monster air purifier
* quiet room

I determined I prefer great sound with occasional background noise versus mediocre sound with lowered low frequency background noise.

The only scenarios I would want noise-cancelling headphones for are:

(1.) A loud noisy office where I don't listen to anything - in that case I'd use the ANC along with white noise played in them.

(2.) Silence in a room with air-conditioning running or loud "whoosh" noises but no variable higher frequency noises like voices or glasses clinking.

In all other scenarios, i.e, where I'm listening to a source like music or a show, I prefer great sound with the occasional intrusion of background noise.  This is because ANC doesn't block voices or variable noises like glasses clinking or engine whine.  Also, the ANC has huge performance-dip right at the frequency of human voices (you can see this graphed on innerfidelity) - I wonder if that's for legal reasons?  But the result is, yes airplane white noise is gone, but voices and screaming babies aren't.  Those are the things I care most about cancelling.  With the P7s, they sound so great and the passive cancelling is good enough that at even moderate levels you don't hear a thing.

The QC35s and the Sonys just don't have this type of immersion.

So after using noise cancelling headphones for 4 years for flights, etc I'm now off them because compared to other wireless options, they just don't sound very good, whereas the P7 wireless sound fantastic.  Watching a TV show on an airplane for example, I hear all kinds of sound effects and noises that I just don't hear with the QC35s or the Sonys and, ultimately, that's much more immersive to me than not hearing the airplane engines at very low volumes.

So for travel, for me, it's the Bowers & Wilkens wireless P7s - they're the headphones I look for excuses to wear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back