Bose QuietComfort 2???
Mar 7, 2006 at 4:02 AM Post #2 of 31
In the price range are top of the line non-custom IEMs, which both isolate better (orders of magnitude better, in fact) and offer VASTLY superior sound quality. For sealed, noise cancelling headphones, however, there aren't many other options. I still refuse to recommend the QC2, as they have very poor objective audio fidelity, but if you have to have closed, circumaural headphones that cancel noise actively they're all you've got.

Look, folks, I'm just saying what we've all been thinking. None of us has yet to find an alternative.

Mar 7, 2006 at 4:08 AM Post #3 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by snyper238
Are these worth buying?

Are there other noise reduction headphones that are just as good?

And have as good of sound quality.

I think they are great for like $60 ....
biggrin.gif

ok..maybe not..cuz my PX100 beat the sh#$@ out them... atleast they filters out plane noise....wait...so do the PCX 200....oh..my...

yeah..if you can get the QC2 for lessthan $100 then its probably ok.

Mar 7, 2006 at 4:09 AM Post #4 of 31
the active noise cancelling works well, however it kills sound quality further than bose has managed to do anyway. as NotJeffBuckley said, if you need good noise cancelling you can get some really nice iems for the same price as the qc2s, or still manage to get better quality than the bose cans with cheaper iems.

there are closed cans that sound better, however many need amps and none are as comfortable as the qc2s (comfort is the only thing that bose cans have going for them). we really need some nice closed cans...

Mar 7, 2006 at 4:33 AM Post #6 of 31
Not knowing your experience with headphones, I would ask if you've ever tried a pair of closed, circumaural heaphones. You would be suprised how much sound they can block out. Think of something similar to construction...uh...earmuffs...with drivers build in. I think that closed headphones can be a good alternative. Also a complaint I have about the QC2's is that they need extra batteries for the noise cancelling and when the batteries start to die the sound quality degrades until the whole headphone dies! But look around here. I'm sure you'll at least get a few ideas...

And welcome to Head-Fi. Sorry about your wallet!

Mar 7, 2006 at 4:59 AM Post #7 of 31
cool thanks for the responses.

what are some better headphones that are closed and eliminate outside noise, the thing is they are for me and my dad and he flys a lot and he had a pair but left them on the plane and loved them because they took so much of the planes noise out so he could sleep

so what are some other pairs that are maybe cheaper but better, also decent looking and comfortable

I have a pair of sony mdr-xd400 adn they are so ugly on your head

ps i am a noob at headphones

Mar 7, 2006 at 8:04 AM Post #9 of 31
If you are absolutely dead set on a pair of closed circumaural headphones, I would have to suggest the Sennhieser HD-280pro. They do not have any active noise concelation, but they do not need it all. They isolate very well and with a little bit of music playing I usaully can not her anyhting around me when i have mine on.

I can also promise you that they will sounds better than the Bose QC2. The last time I listened to a pair of QC2 I was completley unimpressed by their sound, but the HD-280's sound very good for their price (around $100).

Mar 7, 2006 at 8:19 AM Post #10 of 31
Though I do not like bose much at all, I would actually suggest the QC2 to any regular (not audiophile) consumer with such criterea.

I honestly believe that except for Headfi members, everything boils down to:

1: Isolation: True, iems can offer more isolation, but QC2's are often considered more comfy. For airplane use, QC2 cancel the frequencies needed to make the trip enjoyable. Regular consumers think the noise canceling is something equivalent to "coolest thing on earth".

2: Brand name: Few people outside of these forums would recognize Ultimate Ears as a brand. Everyone, though, does know Bose. Though they aren't the best, they get the most "respect" in public (which, in turn, makes the wearer feel special).

3: Sound Quality: Simply put, if one doesn't know any better (like most people), he'll think the QC2's have amazing sound quality (making him, as the consumer, satisfied with his purchase).

This, i believe, is the cold truth:
I don't like bose, but I do notice that the first thing people will say after listening to my MS2's is that: "geeze, these are junk, you spent $300 and they don't sound cancel. you should've got the Bose. (people can't tell the sound quality difference)" If you've done your research, and you know why you bought MS2's over QC2's, then you can respond and keep your self-esteem. However, if you are some "dad" who has no idea why he spent 300 dollars and didn't buy Bose, I bet he'll feel stupid with his purchase. It takes a little effort to recognize good sound, and effort is not what consumers want to expend.

Mar 7, 2006 at 12:05 PM Post #11 of 31
I second the HD280pro recomendation. I use them for live shows, where the SPL can be quite a bit higher than the noise inside an airplane or bus and they do good. As always I have to remind you that they NEED to be burned in for a few says at least, out of the box they sound quite bad but their sound changes drasticly.

Mar 7, 2006 at 3:21 PM Post #12 of 31
OK. I will look into those.

Thanks for the opinions guys i really appreciate them. Anymore would be cool.

I was reading reviews and those headphones say they are lacking in bass. I dont by any means want a lot of bass but i think for movies and songs to sound good they have to have a certain low to them.

Also can i run these without an amp?

Mar 7, 2006 at 3:39 PM Post #13 of 31
The HD280Pro will suck for air travel. They block out absolutely no noise at all under about 100Hz, and the plane's engine noise is its loudest from 30Hz to 100Hz. It'll go right through them like they're not even there. Your only option if you want both good sound quality and good isolation is to get a pair of IEMs. That's it.

If isolation and over-the-ear comfort are your two major concerns, the Bose QC2 are the only game in town.

Mar 7, 2006 at 4:18 PM Post #14 of 31
The best cans for air travel are going to be IEM's. I've used my ole Shure E4C, Westone UM2, and my Beyer DT770 on the plane and I can hear so much noise with the DT770 and the IEM's block out sooo much.

If you are going unamped I'd say you should consider the following:

AT A900 - $200
UE Super.fi 5pro - $200
Westone UM2 - $299

The westone and UE are IEM (In Ear Monitors) and will block more and be more portable but they are not for everyone. Make sure you buy from somewhere with a return/exchange policy in case you are not happy.

*note to mods - please post a "no Bose" sticky for newbs
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back