BOSE Quiet Comfort 3 Sound Quality
Nov 13, 2008 at 1:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

member1982

1000+ Head-Fier
The thing is i know it is over priced for the Sound Quality you get, but its very comfortable and its also SOOOO Small... Which other type of headphones that are similar for less money with Noise Cancelling in the SAME portable format... NONE! or am i missing something...

Also which headphones do match it for SQ. or similar, im not sure how it sounds as well... My friend basicallly wanted it because its small /portable and light weight, noise cancelling isolation is a plus and he is asking me for suggestions.. :p

Update: and no IEMs (too fussy and unconfortable according to my friend), seems like an impossible task, since anything portable = not great at isolation especially on the airplane thats where the Noise Cancelling comes in, BOSE would be good at it i suppose.

Nov 13, 2008 at 2:38 PM Post #2 of 23
Oh good, we haven't had one of these threads in a long time.

popcorn.gif

Nov 13, 2008 at 2:41 PM Post #3 of 23
I dislike Bose as much as anybody else around here, but the guy is asking some legit questions for his friend, and is looking for a recommendation for a certain need which the Quiet Comforts may only be able to fill (I can't say for sure: I haven't heard the QCs, and I don't really care about portable gear).

Please, let's refrain from any flames.

Nov 13, 2008 at 3:04 PM Post #4 of 23
Yeah and if anyone can redirect me away from BOSE would be awesome. But seems like thats the only Portable ones that is also fashionable enough. I watched the cnet prize fight, but the Audio Technica ATH-ANC7 is MASSIVE! in the cnet clip says the SQ was better for something that is also very much cheaper.

Nov 13, 2008 at 4:19 PM Post #5 of 23
This whole Bose bashing thing has been done to death and personally I am sick and tired of it. Yes, the QC3 is comfortable and portable, but its sound is at the same level of a $80 phone at best. Just recommend your friend the ES7 if he must have a portable headphone. For portability a good IEM is still the best choice available, for the price of a QC3 you can get a UM2.

Nov 13, 2008 at 4:37 PM Post #7 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by scytheavatar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For portability a good IEM is still the best choice available, for the price of a QC3 you can get a UM2.

x2. A good iem is much more portable, AND the sound isolation is much better than noice-canceling over-the-ears.

Nov 13, 2008 at 4:42 PM Post #8 of 23
x3. I would go IEM. Isolation is very similar, but there is no hiss like that from the bose, and you can get MUCH better SQ for the same price. Maybe some UM2s. If you want bose-size good phones, I would say have a look at the ultrasone pro line. the lower end is very good SQ and if i remember correctly about the same size as QC3s.

Nov 13, 2008 at 5:56 PM Post #10 of 23
If your friend wants audio quality on par with the boses at a lesser price, I would suggest the sony MDR-NC7. Small, foldable, noise cancelling, etc.

doing much better sound in a portable noise canceling phone is going to be hard. NC circuitry kills your sound quality

I'm going to have to agree everyone else here. IEMs would be a better bet.
NC headphone can reduce outside sound maybe 10-15dB. Most every IEM i've seen reduces sound 20+dB. They are way more portable. And no NC circuitry to screw up your sound.

Nov 13, 2008 at 7:47 PM Post #13 of 23
i would rather get UM2 for that price.

Edit: oh some have mentined it too

Nov 13, 2008 at 8:31 PM Post #14 of 23
I haven't been too comfortable with the feel of IEMs, and have tried a friends QC2s several times before. While I still think they're pricey, their noise canceling abilities are quite good. I have not heard the ANC7 before nor seen one in person, so I can't comment much on the size. I've tried quite a few other noise canceling headphones, albeit only in the $50 range, and none were close to the bose.

Nov 13, 2008 at 10:56 PM Post #15 of 23
I agree...IEMS aren't for everyone and Bose is the only brand that fills that segment of the market

Though, they are completely overpriced

Users who are viewing this thread

Back