Bose QC35 Wireless Noise-Cancelling Headphones
Sep 24, 2018 at 4:38 PM Post #1,111 of 1,152
I have just purchased iBasso DX120 DAP after using the DX90 for 3 years. The DX120 comes with both SE and Balanced output. The output from the Balanced Output is higher the SE Output. The SE Output of the DX120 is lower than that of the DAP I am replacing (DX90). Also I wish to use Balanced Headphones!

The sensitivity of the QC35 is pretty low, you should have no issues driving them with a DAP in SE.

I would recommend using the money you would’ve spent on such a conversion into balanced cans.

Sep 24, 2018 at 5:03 PM Post #1,112 of 1,152
The sensitivity of the QC35 is pretty low, you should have no issues driving them with a DAP in SE.

I would recommend using the money you would’ve spent on such a conversion into balanced cans.
I am inclined to agree with you, but I cannot find much information ie. Makes/Models and suppliers of Balanced Headphones. Most Blogs talk about conversions. If you know Makes/Models I would be grateful.

Sep 24, 2018 at 5:13 PM Post #1,113 of 1,152
I am inclined to agree with you, but I cannot find much information ie. Makes/Models and suppliers of Balanced Headphones. Most Blogs talk about conversions. If you know Makes/Models I would be grateful.
Just buy any pair that has separate plugs for left and right channel, then get the cable separately or make your own. But it's pretty pointless.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2018 at 3:39 PM Post #1,114 of 1,152
Just buy any pair that has separate plugs for left and right channel, then get the cable separately or make your own. But it's pretty pointless.Why do you say it is pointless? If I am going to listen at lower volume level through my Balanced Output as opposed to my SE Output. The difference in output is quite considerable on the DX120. Plus, I want Balanced Headphones, and can afford to purchase them if necessary. I just thought having my existing Headphones converted was possibly easier. Obviously not.

Sep 25, 2018 at 3:44 PM Post #1,115 of 1,152
Just buy any pair that has separate plugs for left and right channel, then get the cable separately or make your own. But it's pretty pointless.
If I am going to listen at lower volume level through my Balanced Output as opposed to my SE Output. The difference in output is quite considerable on the DX120. Plus, I want Balanced Headphones, and can afford to purchase them if necessary. I just thought having my existing Headphones converted was possibly easier. Obviously not.

Nov 29, 2018 at 1:24 PM Post #1,118 of 1,152
The Sony's also can't output sound from two sources.
Agreed. That is a major drawback. I have no idea why Sony, who opted to pack so much other tech in the headphones, left this out. Boggles the mind.

I will say, however, the app to EQ is solid, so you can tailor the sound to your liking. Overall, the XM3, in the opinion of many (myself included and I have both headphones), sound better than the Bose. Also, the ANC, objectively via measurements and my real-world use, is better than Bose.

Nov 30, 2018 at 11:17 AM Post #1,120 of 1,152
I wonder if Bose is working on its reply to the XM3.
Let's hope. I think the next step for Bose would be to improve on the sound. The noise cancellation is arguably the best. But other manufacturer's are starting to catch up to them. In order to get more of the audiophile's on board Bose needs to focus on making the next QCXX more musically enjoyable. They are not bad sounding headphones but the only time I use them is when I travel or mowing the lawn and not from serious listening.

Nov 30, 2018 at 12:00 PM Post #1,122 of 1,152
Has Sony? Reviews of XM3 say that its noise-cancelling is better than Bose's.
I had the XM2’s and it was darn close. I haven’t heard the XM3’s yet.

Nov 30, 2018 at 12:00 PM Post #1,123 of 1,152
Has Sony? Reviews of XM3 say that its noise-cancelling is better than Bose's.
The Sony headphones do have better noise cancellation. It’s quite noticeable and has been measured. Not that the QC35 iis are bad but Sony did beat out Bose this round in that category.

I also think making the QC series more audiophile friendly is a terrible idea. Audiophiles would never use Bluetooth headphones anyways and they like a flat sound profile, something that most people would call boring. A mainstream audio company would shoot themselves in the foot if they released a pair of mass market headphones for a group of consumers representing less than 1% of the entire market while also being outside of their traditionally target market.

What Bose really needs to do is make a better app, continue with the same level of comfort, and give the user more customization options (like adjusting the EQ and more ANC levels than 3) while increasing ANC and migrating to USB-C. I hope they come out with a competitor to the Sony XM3s. I really like Bose but Sony came out with the better product this year. Comfort and staying paired to two devices at once aside, the Sony headphones are all around the better option.

Nov 30, 2018 at 12:04 PM Post #1,124 of 1,152
The Sony headphones do have better noise cancellation. It’s quite noticeable and has been measured. Not that the QC35 iis are bad but Sony did beat out Bose this round in that category.

I also think making the QC series more audiophile friendly is a terrible idea. Audiophiles would never use Bluetooth headphones anyways and they like a flat sound profile, something that most people would call boring. A mainstream audio company would shoot themselves in the foot if they released a pair of mass market headphones for a group of consumers representing less than 1% of the entire market while also being outside of their traditionally target market.

What Bose really needs to do is make a better app, continue with the same level of comfort, and give the user more customization options (like adjusting the EQ and more ANC levels than 3) while increasing ANC and migrating to USB-C. I hope they come out with a competitor to the Sony XM3s. I really like Bose but Sony came out with the better product this year. Comfort and staying paired to two devices at once aside, the Sony headphones are all around the better option.
The Sony app is very good and user friendly. It’s a lot better than the Bose app. I also agree that more customization options is one area Bose can help themselves in.

Nov 30, 2018 at 5:11 PM Post #1,125 of 1,152

It's like you read my mind. I noticed you listed the app first, as customization is becoming a major selling point for the mainstream consumer. Just look at all the EQ profiles people post accessible via the Jaybird app. Some are flat out garbage, but people have fun messing with the EQ and sharing it. Social media...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back