1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

bose qc30 vs shure se535

1. nfastsagar
    i already own a bose qc30. using it for a year now.its wireless. so i need a earphone which dont need any charging. recently i am hearing a lot about shure earbuds. for my budget i can afford se535. even though its not wireless, its 150+ aud more expensive then qc30. so does it has any better sound quality then qc30. what makes it more expensive then bose? i am not an expart on sound quality but i really enjoy good quality music. so should i buy it?

2. ProtegeManiac Contributor
    It has three or four (can't remember) really tiny drivers that have to be specifically manufactured as a module along with their crossovers and then put into a tiny shell. One thing you're paying for vs the Bose is the labour to put that thing together, since the R&D for the Bose's active circuit would be comparable to Shure matching the crossover settings and drivers. Also Shure has to R&D the shell design to get them to fit all the hardware without getting impractically big. Aurisonics (acquired by Fender last year) had free data on this since they started out as a custom IEM company and they used an average of all the ear impressions they had, but the first version had a bump that they had to remove for the revisions of the ASG-1.

Cheapo IEMs from China either use drynamic drivers that are easier to assemble and cheaper to put into the shells, but are usually of lower quality; or fewer and/or lower quality smaller drivers.

As for the actual sound, I haven't seen a graph for the Bose, but the Shures have a very wide response range before it takes a nose dive at the low bass region.

One thing though: Shure designed the SE53x for very high efficiency, but the problem is that on many mainstream devices due to their relative lack of concern over the audio circuit this results in electronic noise and hissing being audible. There's a trade off where you can't get loud enough or if you could, you'd end up squeezing all the power with all audible noise from an amp circuit, and one that is so sensitive coupled with very low impedance that you just end up hearing it without cranking it up. Even some DAPs that were designed for higher output to forego a separate amplifier have problems with these.

Also at the end user side of things: those are two very different form factors. The Shure has to be inserted into your ears and get a good seal, otherwise you'll lose bass response and isolation. And even if you could, if you're not used to IEMs, you might end up hating how these things feel when jammed into your ear canals.

Think of it in other terms.

In car terms, the Bose is like buying a Mercedes with 4Motion or an Audi with Quattro. Handles well, kinda heavy, but you just get in and start it up and drive. You don't even have to row through the gears and hte knock sensors on anything but the AMG and (R)S models would make the difference between Premium and Regular gasoline barely appreciable unless you're the type to really demand a responsive engine to get past some slow truck before oncoming traffic becomes a problem. The Shure is kind of like buying an NSX or a GT-R, especially back when Honda/Acura and Nissan weren't putting all those gizmos in there much less a paddle shift transmission (even the NSX has a hybrid power train with AWD now), and if you're the type to want this kind of car to begin with you're going to feel the difference with Premium gasoline; even if you did not want it specifically for carving up canyon roads and overtaking slow trucks on the highways, what you'd notice is how much more often you might have to see your chiropractor just from getting in and out of these things, even after people hailed the NSX as freedom from chiropractors (which comes from people who were driving Lamborghinis at a time when backing up means "sit halfway out the door").

In knife terms, the Bose is like buying a German knife with distributor support. You hone it on a rod, then you send it in for sharpening every few months or if you really bang and bend the edge. The SE535 is like buying a Japanese knife which would be easier to use for very precise work, but if you don't understand the trade offs in making that possible, you'll chip the edge. Chances are even if you don't, you'd have to sharpen it yourself too, so then you have to buy your own stones (and either spend more time grinding it or find a fast cutting 800 or 1000 grit, which can cost $70), and the very shallow sharpening angle (or a single bevel edge where you have to run the entire hollow ground side on the stone) you're going to end up scratching it elsewhere if you don't know what you're doing. If it's a very shiny Shun or Miyabi, good luck, you'll also need a very dense, very high grit polishing stone with the high grit soft stone to make a polishing slurry on the polishing stone, and maybe a leather strop that also has a 10,000micron compound all over it, just to restore the mirror polish on the edge instead of the milky silver polish.

In short, depending on what your source is, and given that you've been using a wireless unit and have not tested it with anything much less the SE535, you should probably just stick with the Bose. Or at least get something other than the SE535 unless other people can confirm that the same devices you're using don't have any hissing on it.