Bose in-ear...how much are they really worth?
Mar 15, 2008 at 12:30 PM Post #31 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon118 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have, they aren't as bad as everyone makes them out to be. Overpriced? Probably, but bad? No they aren't.

I cannot disagree with you more. I have had them for one week and the bass was strong (that ruined all my music (classical piano), but might be good for some 'fun' listening to bass heavy music), but the middle and highs were non-existent.

But that's not why people are bashing Bose, I think. I think it's because of the expectations from a $99 earphone. You can buy some entry level Shures, Audio-Technica's or UE's for that price and those are much, much, much better. The bashing is probably because people who don't know better say they are good, because they haven't heard anything better.

The best of the Bose IE was the design. I really liked that. Beautiful.

Mar 15, 2008 at 10:09 PM Post #32 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by KUNFUCHOPSTICKS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They cost about $10 to make in China. $90 for the "BOSE" badge.

Quote:

Originally Posted by afternoon025 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well,how much costs it if grado ra1 is made in china?

Well.... Does Bose phones sound better than Grado phones ?

Mar 15, 2008 at 10:16 PM Post #33 of 56
The only reason Bose 'phones are so universally bashed is because they're overpriced by about 200%. For the same financial hit you can get something far, far better.

Mar 16, 2008 at 10:13 AM Post #34 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by pez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't have anything major against Bose, but they go overdramatic on their pricing scheme. I've heard a pair of the OE's, that cost $150, and swear that my $70 Grados sound better. Also, there computer speakers. Terrible for the price. $500 for a pair of computer speakers that can be replicated and bought for ~$100. I think that's why.

I totally agree! Bose recently enter the computer speaker market and it is so over price. My frd recently got the companion 5 and I think they are totally not worth the price. The logitech Z-2300 so MUCH better.

Mar 16, 2008 at 10:30 AM Post #35 of 56
I was trying out the iPod iTouch and Classic at the Apple store here in Palo Alto and because they were demonstrated using Bose Triport and QC2/3, I had to run home and get my K701 to listen to the iPod. I swear, the Bose headphones were so horrible, extremely unbalanced. huge difference with my K701. Actually, the processor on the iPod sounded better than I thought.

Mar 16, 2008 at 11:00 AM Post #36 of 56
...or that could be the reason. people here compare them to their high-end audio but what they should be doing is to compare it to something around $50. You could call them overpriced I guess but I don't know if people would say the same negatives if they were budget phones.

Mar 16, 2008 at 11:12 AM Post #37 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by SBD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...or that could be the reason. people here compare them to their high-end audio but what they should be doing is to compare it to something around $50. You could call them overpriced I guess but I don't know if people would say the same negatives if they were budget phones.

The Grado SR-60 sounds better than the Triport and it's cheaper too.

Mar 16, 2008 at 11:52 AM Post #38 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3x331m /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well.... Does Bose phones sound better than Grado phones ?

of course not,that's why it gets 5 times' price than bose.
i mean if bose ie worths only 10 dollar,the grado ra1 isn't over priced too?
frown.gif

Mar 16, 2008 at 2:12 PM Post #39 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by ch28kid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I totally agree! Bose recently enter the computer speaker market and it is so over price. My frd recently got the companion 5 and I think they are totally not worth the price. The logitech Z-2300 so MUCH better.

We're not really concerned with speakers here but bose's overpriced nature does apply to all of their products.

Mar 16, 2008 at 2:31 PM Post #40 of 56
I continue to be surprised at how emotional Bose detractors can be. The IEMs could use more detail, especially in the bass, but the soundstage is great and they do have an ease about them that is often missing in portable gear. They are a big step above most but not al earbuds. For many people they will be just the ticket, but not if you seek bass impact, detail and isolation. But there are other elements that others may find musical and very enjoyable. And they are comfortable. For others, at the price, I might recommend the Pk series or the Vibes, depending on the music you listen to.

Mar 17, 2008 at 12:01 AM Post #41 of 56
I think the IEs are worth the price because:

1) big bass in a small package.. great for outdoors where other buds sound like thin paper.
2) great soundstage
3) natural voice presentation
4) non-isolating. they are not iem's and superior to most earbuds.
5) zero fatigue. the bose roll-off make them very comfortable and no "ringing in your ears" after listening for a few hours. listen to grados for hours a day and you'll be partially deaf with tinnitus in a few years.
6) bose has good customer service.

People who compare bose to akg, grado, ue, blah,... completely miss the point. btw, I would take the dull triports over the metallic sr-60 any time...

Mar 17, 2008 at 9:34 AM Post #42 of 56
People who compare bose to akg, grado, ue, blah,... completely miss the point. btw, I would take the dull triports over the metallic sr-60 any time...[/QUOTE]

Well said and I agree. I think most are unhappy with Bose because they are not accurate monitors. That said they sound great w all types of music and are non fatiguing which I like when listening to my favorite songs. No need to constantly adjust tone. They have much better imaging than noise isolating headphones IMO because the driver is outside of the ear and natural ambience is added by open air design. Best ear buds I've heard bar none.

Mar 17, 2008 at 1:44 PM Post #43 of 56
Quote:

listen to grados for hours a day and you'll be partially deaf with tinnitus in a few years.

You know this how ???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back