Bose IE2 vs Logitech ue 500vi
Feb 19, 2012 at 7:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

ikonz

New Head-Fier
I cant really decide which headphones to get. 

Can someone help out?

I know Bose is an established company and they make quality products but I am not sure how good their headphones are. Also, I have had Logitech products (mouse, keyboard, speakers, camera) and none have been disappointing, however, I do know that Logitech recently did buy out Ultimate Ears so I don't know if this brand is that great.

I would get the Bose but if the Logitech sound/work just as well for $30 less than I rather get those. 

Also, is there a different model of earphones that compare with these two?

Feb 19, 2012 at 8:05 PM Post #2 of 16

Quote:
I cant really decide which headphones to get. 

Can someone help out?

I know Bose is an established company and they make quality products but I am not sure how good their headphones are. Also, I have had Logitech products (mouse, keyboard, speakers, camera) and none have been disappointing, however, I do know that Logitech recently did buy out Ultimate Ears so I don't know if this brand is that great.

I would get the Bose but if the Logitech sound/work just as well for $30 less than I rather get those. 

Also, is there a different model of earphones that compare with these two?

You seem quite intent on these two. What kind of sound sig are you looking for? Extra bass? Vocal focus? Sparkly treble?

Feb 19, 2012 at 8:54 PM Post #3 of 16
That's a good question...I always play music from my phone or my laptop and I usually listen to electronic dance music so it really varies from vocals to things like dubstep. I also occasionally use them to watch movies (rarely) and sometimes I listen to alternative music. 

I don't think I'm looking for a set of headphones for a specific type of audio but rather something more "all in one" if that makes sense.

Feb 19, 2012 at 9:45 PM Post #4 of 16
http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-221-iems-compared-monoprice-mep-933-8320-added-02-12-12 very good thread about most of your options for in ear monitors.

If you're willing to pay for 100$ for an IE2, might as well go for the top of the line Ultimate ears TF10 for 140$ on amazon. The TF10 is far superior to the IE2 in every way except maybe comfort (get some sony hybrids/flip mod and problem solved).

BOSE makes okay headphones but they're really overpriced so don't get them unless you're looking for noise cancelling.

Feb 19, 2012 at 10:49 PM Post #6 of 16

Quote:
I've read the review. From the review I think the Etymotic HF5 are good and they are $99 on amazon. What about those?

Etymotics may not work too well for Electronic music...  Or Dub-step.  Great for vocals though...

Feb 19, 2012 at 10:50 PM Post #7 of 16
I haven't heard the Logitech ones (only the Superfi4s, which were horrendous), so I can't really comment on them.  

However - the IE2s are an open design.  You'll be able to hear things going on around you while you listen to them.  I can even have conversations with them in and hear the speaker quite clearly.  They're exceedingly comfortable, and disappear in your ears quite readily.  They were my exercise pair for the longest time and held up very well (until I gave them to my wife).  Their sound signature - 95% of my time with them was with podcasts, but I remember their strong suit being their sound stage, which could be quite extended at times (which I like, as a fan of the K701s).  

I remember them being warm and veiled, with subdued highs.  I listen primarily to classical music, and remember the timbre being off, the emphasis being towards bass, and the veil completely killing the genre for me.  It's not that quality quick & clean type of bass either..it's more prone to bleeding and engulfs frequencies near it.  That's a killer when you're trying to follow distinct lines near the same register.  

In spite of that - their SS is actually quite pleasing for pop music.  They're not aimed at audiophiles and honestly, until you've heard better or found your preferred signature you're most likely not going to notice the difference.  

Feb 19, 2012 at 11:10 PM Post #9 of 16

Quote:
Etymotics may not work too well for Electronic music...  Or Dub-step.  Great for vocals though...

+1 about the HF3.  

They do have more bass quantity than the ER4's though, but unless you're planning to EQ them (they respond very well to it) you're probably better skipping them.  They would work well for the alternative you listen to sometimes though, if you're after the clean, analytical, detailed approach.  Almost opposite of the IE2s..and once you EQ the bass they do it very cleanly.  

But completely different sound sigs. 

Feb 19, 2012 at 11:40 PM Post #10 of 16
No one's really mentioning some lower level IEMs like the Brainwavz M2 or Fischer Audio Eterna. They might work as well, considering their relative price and sound sig.

Feb 19, 2012 at 11:42 PM Post #11 of 16
ThinkSound TS02 and Brainwavz M4 come to mind here for me as well...  Just sayin'

Feb 19, 2012 at 11:47 PM Post #12 of 16

Quote:
How come they are not good for electronic music? Also I'm mainly going to be using them for working out so I also need something that has comfort which Bose seems to be good at.

Have you looked at the Sony W262 series of MP3 players?  They're basically just headphones with a built in MP3 player..no wires at all, water/sweat resistant, cheap at $60 (and sold by Best Buy etc), ..they're perfect for being stuck outside jogging in the rain.  People even get in the shower with them..  

Anyway, those are what replaced my wired exercise phones (Bose IE2), until..

I recently got into bluetooth (Jaybird JF3 are amazing at $100) - but of course require you to have a phone or bluetooth player with you, and the JF3 in particular can be picky about placement when outside* (hint - get use to your phone on your R arm),,.but my god they're comfortable and dislodge proof!  Also they're sweatproof and have a lifetime warranty against sweat.  

Not having wires when exercising has been amazing.

*That's outside.  You can totally leave your phone in a room and walk around (maybe 30 feet) without problems.  I'll generally leave it charged and be on the opposite side of the room (25') on the elliptical without issue.       

Feb 20, 2012 at 8:31 PM Post #15 of 16

Quote:
I would prefer headphones with a straight plug rather than an L-shaped one since my phone will be in my pocket.

Don't really see why a L shaped plug would hurt if you have the headphone jack facing upwards. And L shaped jacks are more durable so I'd def go for a L shaped jack if possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back