Bose + Headphones = ?
Mar 8, 2006 at 3:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

mr56k

500+ Head-Fier
While unhooking and hooking stuff up I found something out that struck me as a little odd. I noticed that if I had my Bose Media Mates connected to my Mac Mini and then ran my headphones off of the line out of that my headphones seemed to sound better not to mention alot more bass was present. I actually disconnected my sennheisers for a few seconds and threw on my Grado sr60's and was blown away on how well it sounded. No more tinnyness but awesome sound with great bass. So what is going on here? The media mates connect to eachother via rca and then 1/8th inch goes to my mac. Front of right speaker has 1/8" output.

Thanks

Mar 8, 2006 at 3:20 AM Post #2 of 7
BUmp

Is it using the Bose to power the headphones rather then just the built in sound card or both?

Mar 8, 2006 at 5:42 AM Post #4 of 7
^ Either that or Bose is coloring the line out so that when you listen to them through the bose equipment its coloring the sound of your headphones more. Also, the top end might be rolled off. I know their headphones suffer from this and that might be eliminating the sometimes harsh Grado highs.

Mar 8, 2006 at 7:57 PM Post #6 of 7
Might be a case of both factors being involved. If the Mac's output has a low output impedance and smallish coupling caps, there may be a severe bass dropoff when driving 32 ohm cans like Grados. In such a case 600 ohm (or thereabouts) cans with passable sensitivity are quite handy as a reference. I'd say it wouldn't be the worst of ideas to invest into a small amp (something decent at driving low-impedance cans like a PA2V2 or Portaphile or such maybe).

Mar 8, 2006 at 8:45 PM Post #7 of 7
What amp would do the trick for the least amount of $$$ ? Im pretty low on money so if it wasnt too expensive i might be able to swing it.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back