Bose Companion 2 MkIII or Creativeworks T20/T40
Mar 8, 2014 at 8:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

69ingchipmunkzz

New Head-Fier
I'm new to this forum, and it is probably a forum for more for audiophiles, but hey!

For my birthday, I'm interested in getting some 2.0 (I don't really have space for a massive sub woofer) computer speakers, after a lot of research, I'm considering the Creative Gigaworks T20's or the Bose Companion 2 MkIII's.
Both have excellent reviews, supposedly great sound for price bracket.
Having heard other Bose products, I'm quite tempted in getting them, however the T20s are supposed to be great as well.
Anyone have any experience with either product or recommend any other products with a similar price bracket- about -£90.
I've looked at Edifier Exclaim E10's, Logitech Z523 (I don't really want to touch Logitech), Swans M10s or Klipsch Pro Media (which I understand are fantastic, but a it too expensive)
I hope this is the right forum for this kind of newbie questions, appreciate any advise. 
Sam 

Aug 11, 2014 at 4:58 PM Post #2 of 6
I suggest by far and wide the Creative Gigaworks T40. The Bose were marked out pretty much instantly, but for my PC I own a pair of T40's. With a good pre-amp, you're looking at amazing value while maintaining aesthetics. Placed sideways (like I have them) on either side of your desk they're strangely immersive despite the relatively cheap price. Definitely recommend them. Although, I'm not an Audiophile, I just go by what I know, which compared to some of the bigger Head-fiers isn't much. But for the price, definitely one of the best sounding 2.0's I know of. 

Aug 19, 2014 at 2:27 PM Post #3 of 6
Check this out for what I think about the T40
http://www.head-fi.org/products/creative-gigaworks-t40-series-ii-2-0-multimedia-speaker-system-with-basxport-technolgy/reviews/11039

The Bose is over-priced for about the same quality and IMO doesn't look as awesome or cool.. Just bland.

Feb 22, 2015 at 11:38 PM Post #5 of 6
Has anyone been able to compare the sound between the Bose Companion 2 Mk I and Mk III? I notice Bose doesn't often change the sound when they put out new iterations and was wondering if that was the case here. I have the Mk I and it sounds soo good but if the Mk III has improved sound I'll get that.

Feb 23, 2015 at 4:14 AM Post #6 of 6
I've had more or less the same problem just a week ago :). Decided to go from 5.1 to 2.0/2.1 and, as it turned out, not having too much place for the sub, I had to opt for 2.0.
Due to limited space I had to choose something with narrow speakers. Went through tons of reviews and finally bought the T40s. Very satisifed with the performance, although out-of-the box the do not sound nice (WHERE IS THE BASS?). Firstly, you have to adjust the bass and preferably the treble as well, I found the tomshardware settings very good (actually, I set the bass "by ear" and it turned out to be the same setting as here: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/two-channel-pc-speaker-gigaworks,2836-4.html and here: http://lgponthemove.blogspot.com/2014/05/confessions-of-audiophile-creative.html , treble setting is a bit more difficult, but the one from the second link is definitely too much, I set it as on tomshardware), then you have to let them burn-in a little (2-3 hours is already quite enough).

I was really impressed with Stone Temple Pilots' "Plush" when I first heard it from Spotify. I used to play bass years ago, so I tend to pay attention to bass line in the songs still. I've heard the song dozens of times on various equipment but found it sounding very good here. I have a decent Quadral Quintas 500 setup + Onkyo TX-NR579 setup in the other room. I downloaded a HD Audio FLAC of the song and compared on both. The result is that T40s sound pretty well. Probably if I would listen to them side-by-side the differences would be more evident, but going from room to room, there is not a huge difference between both. Actually, I'd say that the only problem is in the middle, where sound is more clear on bigger speakers, than in the bass department, as all the reviews state.

Back to your original question: had no chance to compare them, but in each (and I mean EACH) serious review I found Bose scored bad. When compared side by side, T40s were always better. Of course, there are probably better choices (well regarded AV40s for the same price or A2s for twice that much, Klipsch Promedia 2.1 or Soundsticks III, if you dare to use 2.1 setup, maybe something from Edifier, but they have big subs), but you will certainly do not go wrong with choosing the T40s.
A bit of a downside is that if you do not sit in the middle, the soundstage deteriorates quite badly and they do not sound well over 50% volume, but that is not at all a problem for me, as I am using it only sitting at the desk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back