Boost your PCs audio performance.
Jul 27, 2011 at 6:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 188

MaciekN

100+ Head-Fier
  Most poeple interested in getting the best out of their PCs in terms of SQ have probably already stumbled upon "The Art of Building Computer Transports" document. Among other things it recommends turning off most of your operating system (even to the point of killing explorer.exe!) so that nothing disturbs the flow of music.
  Well, it is not very practical to say the least but I've found an interesting alternative, so called Game Booster. It is meant to free as much system resources for a chosen application (foobar in my case) as possible, temporarily stopping all the unncessary processes, so essentially its more or less what was recommended for top music performance. Only difference being that you don't have to cripple your OS and its a one-click thing.
  Honestly, I couldn't tell much difference but I may be not the sharpest ear out there, so I'm curious about your opinions and experiences with this. Enjoy testing and do share.

Jul 27, 2011 at 7:10 PM Post #2 of 188
It's an interesting idea, though I don't know if it really helps that much in practice. Someone actually made an audio player based entirely on this concept, it's called Jplay. Google it if you are curious.

Jul 27, 2011 at 7:31 PM Post #3 of 188
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/542004/fidelizer-2-0-introducing-new-ui-with-multi-core-optimizations

there's such project existing for quite some time already..

Jul 28, 2011 at 12:49 AM Post #4 of 188
It should be noted that Game Booster app corrupts the registry, to an extent of forcing a full system reinstall. You might be better trying Fidelizer 1.6 (not 2.0).

Jul 28, 2011 at 3:22 AM Post #5 of 188
Some people have reported problems with Game Booster and others have reported not being able to replicate those issues. I've used GB with no problems -- no corrupted registry or any other problem. YMMV.

Jul 28, 2011 at 8:49 AM Post #6 of 188

Quote:
It should be noted that Game Booster app corrupts the registry, to an extent of forcing a full system reinstall. You might be better trying Fidelizer 1.6 (not 2.0).

why 1.6 vs. 2.0?  and is this for xp or win7....   Inquiring minds want to know

Jul 28, 2011 at 11:08 AM Post #7 of 188
First, I would like to repeat that I strongly advise against using Game Booster, it is a damaging app, damage which most of the times cannot be reversed or repaired.

About Fidelizer 2.0, there are both usability issues like lack of autorun features and changing home page browser settings, as well as the new version shutting down more services than it should, and doing a rather odd core management. There are reports of 2.0 causing issues on systems that ran 1.6 perfectly with the same configs as well.

Overall, I understand that the audiophile community would greatly benefit from such an app, and I appreciate the effort of the developer, but I feel it's not just "there" yet. I still feel far more confident on tweaking the system by myself, as I know exactly what I'm changing.

Jul 29, 2011 at 2:10 AM Post #9 of 188
There is a rather large userbase that had issues with Game Booster. If an app is prone to cause serious damage to a system, not to mention some of it's settings disrupt how an OS is to be running, it should be avoided at all costs.

Look elsewhere or better, tweak your system yourself, preventing unfortunate and potentially disastrous issues.

Jul 29, 2011 at 2:28 AM Post #11 of 188

Quote:
If you Google Game Booster, you find plenty of comments from people who have been unable to replicate the problems you describe. It works fine for me. YMMV.

That, and BSODs, permanent system changes, registry corruption, etc.

Why take the risk when there are safe ways to do it?

Good thing it works for you.

Jul 29, 2011 at 2:28 AM Post #12 of 188
I also use Fidelizer 2.0, both by itself and in tandem with Game Booster, with no problems. Seems to work fine with Foobar2000, Foobar2000 HD 3.1, and XMPlay, also KMPlayer and Daum PotPlayer for video. YMMV.

Jul 29, 2011 at 2:32 AM Post #14 of 188
So you're using two similar optimization apps together? Right. So wrong. Use whatever you feel like, as long as you don't spread info on such things are being productive while risk free, when in fact they have very much high changes of doing software damage on multiple levels. Did I get to mention that Game Booster actually changes security software settings everytime it runs?

Ivery much prefer to properly lay down the metal sheets that are my apps and system configs, rather than going around with a metal blob full of pointy edges.

Jul 29, 2011 at 2:48 AM Post #15 of 188
They're similar optimization apps, but they're not identical. And I'm not "spreading info" about them being either harmless or harmful, as you so hysterically charge. I'm just reporting my experience with them, which is that they work fine (on two different machines, actually), without any of the problems you talk about. YMMV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back