Bookshelf stereo recommendations
Sep 13, 2009 at 6:04 AM Post #16 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by baglunch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looking into the Tivoli, thx greenhorn and Canuk57. They look small, are they well suited to turning up, provide adequate bass? It's not a huge room, but when the stove vent fans are going, or you have something frying, we do tend to crank up the little JVC mini system we're currently using (and replacing).

The Tivoli has a very "big" sound, much "bigger" than it's size would suggest. Not sure though how loud means loud, this is different according to each. To me, the Tivoli goes loud enough. According to my wife, it usually goes much too loud
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 13, 2009 at 6:15 AM Post #17 of 25
Heh, yeah we don't tend to have our current kitchen system too loud unless we are cooking, and then it can't really be heard very well (it was a $120 JVC micro component from maybe 7 years ago). But looking into the Tivoli's some more, I don't think they'll do with the configuration I'm considering. I'm currently thinking I want the speakers up off the countertop and away from spills and little kid toys and fingers, so likely above the cabinets. And since the Tivoli's have the speaker built onto the receiver, it wouldn't really work with how I think I want it set up.

Sep 13, 2009 at 8:56 AM Post #19 of 25
Hm. Are you controlling it with a Slingbox Duet (or some other remote streaming thing), or do you just tend to stand on tiptoes for changing CDs? Our cabinets are much too high for manually adjusting anything on a regular basis. My wife tends to prefer listening to a CD at a time, rather than just the full random assortment of my music, so having both network-ability and easy access to the CD drive would be ideal.

Sep 13, 2009 at 11:59 PM Post #21 of 25
Quote:

DeusEx, why would my kitchen be unsuited to Energy RC-10s? Unless they weight 50lbs each or something, the kitchen cupboards should be able to handle the weight. We'd probably lay them down on their side regardless, perhaps point them up towards the ceiling to let the vaulting reflect the sound back down, and to help the sound clear the crown moulding.

They actually weigh ~27 lb. But what I was saying was, this is going to be a casual background music setup, right? I wouldn't get $600 bookshelves myself, for a kitchen setup...

Sep 14, 2009 at 3:34 AM Post #22 of 25
We realized that we spend more time and listen to music a lot more in the kitchen than anywhere else in the house, so it makes sense to put some more money there (to us). It looks like the Energy RC-10s are a good speaker with adequate thump for pop, but still nice musicality for classical and jazz. I still really like the built-in networkability of the Pioneer, but they sound like they don't have enough low-end to suit our tastes. Unless we also get a sub with whatever's left over in the budget.

May well be the Denon receiver and Energy speakers... and give up networkability for now. I'm still well open to suggestions.

Sep 15, 2009 at 3:15 PM Post #23 of 25
We have a Tivoli Model 1 and a Model 2, but no sub or CD player. The '2' is heavier and outputs a nicer sound than the '1'. They are nice, but they have a very specific directivity. You pretty much need to be in front of the speaker to enjoy it, which is fine as long as your room is set up that way.

Our problem is that our kitchen is a fairly open plan, and either we can use the Tivoli at the table and listen, or at the counter. But it will not cover both areas well, without repositioning the speakers.

Sep 15, 2009 at 3:23 PM Post #24 of 25
Quote:

I still really like the built-in networkability of the Pioneer, but they sound like they don't have enough low-end to suit our tastes.

Don't take my comments the wrong way. The Pioneer does have bass and it goes pretty low, but it just doesn't hit with a lot of impact. Kind of like the K701. If you're still considering the Pioneer unit you might want to look at the measurements of the speakers though and just make sure they will fit on top of your cabinets. As I said before, the speakers are big.

Sep 15, 2009 at 4:25 PM Post #25 of 25
As a resident cheap person i feel i should present the low-budget high-payoff option:

Refurbished Philips MCD708 - you can get one for less than $100 shipped (sometimes - looks like they're going for about $110 + ship right now). Retailed for over $400. Real rosewood speakers with ribbon tweeters. Very crisp sound.

These have a quirk where if they've been unplugged for a year or two, they don't work properly the first time you turn them on. Leave it plugged in for a few hours and it'll be fine. (really, just fine. Mine misbehaved for 2 hours and then worked fine for a month, then i set it aside for six months and it was still fine after six months back in it's box. haven't had a single issue with it since.)

It's what i use in my kitchen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back