Bone-conduction-headphones !
Jan 7, 2006 at 10:24 AM Post #2 of 17
First of all, the idea of havnig sound waves pushed through my skull makes me feel queasy. Second of all, the frequency response given for those phones looks god awful.. I know that specs don't mean much.. but 50Hz to 4khz?? Were is the treble!

Jan 7, 2006 at 10:57 AM Post #3 of 17
Actually I've tried doing that with my ol' SHP-895s when my ears got too tired =P Dammit, should have copyrighted the idea from the start!
biggrin.gif

Jan 7, 2006 at 11:24 AM Post #4 of 17
"with 50Hz - 4 kHz frequency range"

Long way to go for sure.

Jan 7, 2006 at 4:38 PM Post #5 of 17
That frequency response probably has something to do with the fact that your skull isn't quite as sensitive as your eardrum.

By far, this was my favorite line in the description: "The bone conduction technology sends vibrations through the skull straight into the brain for perfect, pure sound."

Keep that damn thing away from my brain!
tongue.gif
Anyway, as far as I know, the brain can't detect sound at all. It just processes the electrical signals from the cochlea in the inner ear, which does the actual conversion from sound to nerve impulses.

Jan 7, 2006 at 5:32 PM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by greenhorn
Not if a good quality aftermarket skull is used.

biggrin.gif

These type of 'phones have been available for a while for in-water use (swimmers, etc.) When I was researching DAPs last summer they kept popping up. I just don't remember what the brand name was.

Jan 7, 2006 at 6:24 PM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by greenhorn
Not if a good quality aftermarket skull is used.

That comment gave me a good chuckle, this afternoon.

Jan 7, 2006 at 6:48 PM Post #12 of 17
Isn't the movement of your ear bones responsible for all sound?!? So wouldn't every headphone do this...

Jan 7, 2006 at 7:19 PM Post #13 of 17
I remember seeing the ads for the Bone Fone when it first came out in the late 70's. In fact, I think it was my father who pointed it out to me in one of his catalogs and I remember wondering how could you hear the music if it wasn't placed on your ears. It didn't make sense to me then and it kind of still doesn't make sense.

Jan 7, 2006 at 7:22 PM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by ScubaSteve87
Isn't the movement of your ear bones responsible for all sound?!? So wouldn't every headphone do this...

I think "bone conduction" refers to sound being caught over the skull bones instead of via the eardrum. An ordinary headphone does not couple to the skull overly much.

Good quality aftermarket skull, LOL.

Jan 7, 2006 at 7:33 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by ScubaSteve87

The bone this is talking about is your mastoid process on the temporal bone. The idea is to conduct sound through your skull rather than through your ear canal to vibrate the malleus, incus, and stapes, which are the "ear bones" you are talking about. So the point of this is that it does not utilize your ear canal.

Take a tuning fork and touch the end on your mastoid process (the large bony process behind your ear) to see what I'm talking about.

We use this sort of conduction in the health industry to test for hearing loss. If you can hear better through bone conduction than you can through your ear canal then it is likely that your hearing loss is due to some sort of blockage (conductive hearing loss). However, if you can still hear better through your ear canal then it is likely that your hearing loss is due to damage is sensorineural in nature.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back