Bob Dylan
Sep 20, 2009 at 5:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

RagingForces

Head-Fier
The Essential Bob Dylan. What am I hearing? I've never heard it before thats for sure. A child of the 80's, I'm from the age of Motley Crue and Guns and Roses. Sure i've heard bits and pieces of Dylan throughout my days, but I've never actually sat down and purposefully tried to engaged with his music.

The sound is so simple, it hooks so effortlessly. Its pretty clear the music is just the bait into his songwriting but for this Dylan newbie, I am in love!

Sep 21, 2009 at 1:42 AM Post #2 of 23
Make sure that you move to a real album of his, because some are better than any greatest hits collection could be. The sheer volume of his studio albums can be intimidating, and they certainly arent all masterpieces, but Blonde on Blonde, Highway 61 Revisited, Blood on the Tracks, The Times they are A Changin, and Nashville Skyline are pretty much as good as albums get.

Sep 21, 2009 at 1:46 AM Post #3 of 23
No Freewheelin' Bob Dylan love? I prefer that to Blonde on Blonde and Blood on the Tracks at least... and probably some of the others.

Sep 21, 2009 at 3:33 AM Post #4 of 23
All the sages say it: no prettier man ever broke up with Joan Baez.

Sep 21, 2009 at 4:21 AM Post #5 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by revolink24 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No Freewheelin' Bob Dylan love? I prefer that to Blonde on Blonde and Blood on the Tracks at least... and probably some of the others.

I'll give you some Freewheelin' love. That one, Highway 61 Revisted, and his live album from Budokan were my favorites. But it's hard to just exclude everything else because he really has recorded so many albums.

Sep 21, 2009 at 4:25 AM Post #6 of 23
Also, don't forget to try out his albums in MONO. They sound great!

Sep 21, 2009 at 5:28 AM Post #7 of 23
I have every domestic Dylan album, and many imports. Try John Wesley Harding, which is my favorite of them all.

Sep 21, 2009 at 11:43 PM Post #8 of 23
There is so much music on this essential collection that it will take some time to digest it all. I like to actually follow up with each song and learn about them and why they were written.

I don't always understand the meanings easily, as they are written from a different time, but what I am finding is that so many of them have solid meaning in this era as well.

Many of his songs have lyrics that inspire me to think about my surroundings. I enjoy listening to his work very much.

Thank you to all who chimed in with recommendations on my next auditions. It will take some time, but I'll get there too
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 22, 2009 at 2:18 PM Post #10 of 23
Blood On the Tracks is my favorite album of his and favorite album ever

no rush to get through them all, take your time. so many good ones

self titled, freewheelin, Times they are a changing, John Wesley Harding, Bringing it all back home, high way 61, blonde on blonde, nashville skyline, desire, blood on the tracks.

even his 'modern' stuff like Time Out of Mind and Love and Theft are great. still meaning to pick up Modern Times.

christmas stuff should be cool too

Sep 22, 2009 at 2:29 PM Post #11 of 23
I am not a really big Dylan fan, but enjoy Blood On the Tracks and Blonde On Blonde now and then. Sounds great!

Edit. You should also check out some of his lates albums. Nice music!

Sep 22, 2009 at 4:13 PM Post #12 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Priest
John Wesley Harding, which is my favorite of them all.

Are you serious? I can't think of any reason that would be a favorite of all his albums.

Sep 22, 2009 at 4:43 PM Post #13 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by RagingForces /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is so much music on this essential collection that it will take some time to digest it all. I like to actually follow up with each song and learn about them and why they were written.

I don't always understand the meanings easily, as they are written from a different time, but what I am finding is that so many of them have solid meaning in this era as well.

Many of his songs have lyrics that inspire me to think about my surroundings. I enjoy listening to his work very much.

Thank you to all who chimed in with recommendations on my next auditions. It will take some time, but I'll get there too
smily_headphones1.gif

I don't know what is on the disc that you have, but you need to listen to "Visions of Johanna" if you haven't already. Reading your description of dylans lyrics made my mind jump directly to that song.

Sep 22, 2009 at 7:30 PM Post #14 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by bdh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you serious? I can't think of any reason that would be a favorite of all his albums.

the album has strong lyrics and song structures in addition to a distinct type of ballad aesthetic which Dylan does not replicate thoroughly on any of his other albums......

are you asking why that album would stand out or are you saying it is bad/mediocre?
if you don't like it then you don't like it and that's fine. To me and apparently to Priest though it is very very good

Sep 22, 2009 at 9:27 PM Post #15 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Actual /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the album has strong lyrics and song structures in addition to a distinct type of ballad aesthetic which Dylan does not replicate thoroughly on any of his other albums......

are you asking why that album would stand out or are you saying it is bad/mediocre?
if you don't like it then you don't like it and that's fine. To me and apparently to Priest though it is very very good

It's my favorite Dylan, as well. But, alas, I'm not much of a fanatic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back