1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Bob Dylan - Modern Times

Discussion in 'Music' started by saturnine, Aug 29, 2006.
  1. saturnine Contributor
    I just got this album from a friend who works at a record store (yeah, a few hours early!!!), and all I can say is wow! The music & lyrics are GREAT so far (at track 3 now) and the recording quality is quite decent [​IMG] Please post your opinions!

Peter Hyatt likes this.
  2. Aman
    I got a radio advance copy of it a few weeks ago - very good stuff. His best album in a while!

It's a good Dylan album to play for those who really don't like him. Very bluesy and up-tempo most of the time. Very suitable for the title he gave.

"Thunder on the Mountain" is a masterpiece. What an opener!

3. saturnine Contributor
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman
    "Thunder on the Mountain" is a masterpiece. What an opener!

Agreed! This is one of my favorite uptempo Dylan tracks so far.

Come on guys, this has been out for a day now! Aman & I can't be the only members who have this album [​IMG]

4. EdipisReks
    how does it compare to his classic stuff? i'm mostly interested in a comparison to his early post-electric albums, as i doubt it'll be at all like his pre-electric albums.

5. saturnine Contributor
    Quote:

Originally Posted by EdipisReks
    how does it compare to his classic stuff? i'm mostly interested in a comparison to his early post-electric albums, as i doubt it'll be at all like his pre-electric albums.

IMO, it doesn't compare well to his early albums, but his songwriting is still top notch compared to most artists today and the recording quality is quite good. It's definately worth the $13 [​IMG]

6. XFxGeforced
    you can definetely hear the age in his voice, but it's good

*and that was crazy! I was just typing this, and I heard bob dylan, so I looked up, where my tv is, and there was an ad for modern times on! [​IMG]

7. britishbane
    Just saw an ad with Mr. Dylan for iTunes...does anyone find that surprising considering his statements a few days ago?

8. mbd
    Quote:

Originally Posted by britishbane
    Just saw an ad with Mr. Dylan for iTunes...does anyone find that surprising considering his statements a few days ago?

I thought it was surprising, and when I saw he'd done an ipod at, it was the first thing that hit me.

For those interested in seeing the ad, you can see it at http://www.apple.com/ipod/ads/dylan/

9. greenhorn
    I like it, but it gives me a strong "déjà vu" sort of feeling...

IMO, both "Time Out Of Mind" and "Love & Theft" were better albums. I was expecting something at least of that level.

10. Redo
    I ordered this album yesterday. I'm not a big Dylan fan, but this album has definatly peaked my interest.

11. Mark from HFR
    I was surprised how upbeat and frisky most of it is. "Aint' Talkin'" is a great dark closer, though. Overall, 'Modern Times' hasn't grabbed me like 'Love and Theft' did, but it's still pretty damn fine-- and I love the gruff voice he now has.

Mark

12. Redo
    I'm quite enjoying this album!!! Definatly a worthy purchase.

13. scratchyvinyl
    It's a good, solid, enjoyable album. Also debuted at #1 on the Billboard album charts too, so it looks like he's still got it.

14. pds6
    Modern Times - Will the Real Bob Dylan Please Stand-Up

(1) Thunder on the Mountain - Style and Lyrics of a pseudo - Leonard Cohen

The worst:

was thinkin' 'bout Alicia Keys, couldn't keep from crying
    When she was born in Hell's Kitchen, I was living down the line
    I'm wondering where in the world Alicia Keys could be
    I been looking for her even clear through Tennessee

(2) Spirit on the Water - Sounds like Leon Redbone singing Blue Moon.

Having said that, this song put a smile on my face and I was tapping along with this 7 minute and 42 second song.

(3) Rollin' and Tumblin' - Nothing special - We Shall Overcome with Bruce Springsteen did the "Old American Songbook" better.

(4) When the Deal Goes Down - Willie Nelson maybe. Some pretty hammy singing. Good steel guitar.

(5) Someday Baby, a.k.a., Trouble No More - Allman Brother Band did it much better. No need for a new version. Backup band is real tight.

(6) Workingman's Blues #2 - Bob Dylan is finally relevant. Good song.

(7) Beyond the Horizan - The pseudo-Leon Redbone makes his second appearance on this album. This song also has a Blue Moon feel. Lyrics are o.k. and some nice guitar work.

(8) Nettie Moore - The lyrics: "Well, the world of research has gone berserk Too much paperwork" Does nothing for me. A Salvation Army bass drum keeps time. Hallelujah!

(9) Levee's Gonna Break - This is the song in Radio Station's rotation. Good song. Up-beat, good lyrics and the rhythm fits his voice much better than many other songs on this album. Again, some good guitar work.

(10) Ain't Talking - The second or third strongest song on the album. Good lyrics up to a point. "Eatin' hog eyed grease in a hog eyed town." I don't know.

MODERN TIMES BY BOB DYLAN - GRADE B.

15. Peter Hyatt
    WorkingMan Blues #2: I put this up with anything Dylan has written.