BMG Music Service Ends In June. No More 12 For 1
Sep 24, 2009 at 8:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

Redcarmoose

Headphoneus Supremus
Sep 24, 2009 at 2:57 PM Post #2 of 33
Testimony to how important the BMG 12 for 1 is at this point in history...the service closed this past June, and only NOW is a news story being posted about it here.

I'm devouring up lots of CD's at my local FYE and making lossless copies of them and turning them back in. That's become a far more efficient use of my money I think than purchasing lots of new CD's through the mail, though I am still a yourmusic.com subscriber.

Another sign post on the road to the death of physical media as anything but a niche.

Sep 24, 2009 at 3:34 PM Post #3 of 33
When cds first hit the market, BMG and Columbia House were the places to build your collections. I started buying greatest hits of unfamiliar genre artists as well as favorite artist's catalogs.

Things change all the time, adapt or die.

Sep 24, 2009 at 3:40 PM Post #4 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Guidry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm devouring up lots of CD's at my local FYE and making lossless copies of them and turning them back in.

Wow- that's pretty bold. So let me get this straight- you go into FYEs, buy a CD, come home- rip a lossless copy of it, and then return the CD back to FYEs for your money back?

Just so you know, that's theft.

Sep 24, 2009 at 3:42 PM Post #5 of 33
I bought many discs through BMG, especially box sets. Working the BMG "system", the average cost per disc with s/h was $7. I quit using them when I got everything from them I wanted.

Sep 24, 2009 at 3:58 PM Post #6 of 33
BMG was great. i used them for years. got great deals. now for buying CDs, i mostly use ebay or third-party vendors on amazon.

Sep 24, 2009 at 4:32 PM Post #7 of 33
Remember that feeling when you found your 12 at your door? Christmas!

Sep 25, 2009 at 4:04 AM Post #9 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Clutz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow- that's pretty bold. So let me get this straight- you go into FYEs, buy a CD, come home- rip a lossless copy of it, and then return the CD back to FYEs for your money back?

Just so you know, that's theft.

Sorry for not being clear...I am buying used CD's and then selling them back to FYE for less than I purchased them for.

Sep 25, 2009 at 9:45 AM Post #12 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Guidry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry for not being clear...I am buying used CD's and then selling them back to FYE for less than I purchased them for.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Okay, that's not theft. That's smart.

No, keeping copies is still against the law.

Sep 25, 2009 at 10:34 AM Post #13 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, keeping copies is still against the law.

When you consider they are getting a small percent of what they payed upfront and are keeping only a digital copy of the music, no booklet, photos or liner art, then one could ration that they only payed for the digital copy. A method that usually is much cheaper than buying the disc, though not offered in lossless due most likely to bandwith issues.

I see nothing amoral about this.

Sep 25, 2009 at 12:10 PM Post #14 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by wonderwall /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When you consider they are getting a small percent of what they payed upfront and are keeping only a digital copy of the music, no booklet, photos or liner art, then one could ration that they only payed for the digital copy. A method that usually is much cheaper than buying the disc, though not offered in lossless due most likely to bandwith issues.

I see nothing amoral about this.

Possesion of the physical media gives the right to use it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back