Bluray-fi
Apr 21, 2010 at 7:36 AM Post #16 of 51
PS3 slim here also.

My collection is getting out of hand though. My book shelf is stacked.

Apr 21, 2010 at 7:46 AM Post #17 of 51
Fat PS3 here. When I first bought the PS3, I went out and bought several blu rays but after joining Netflix, I just rent one blu ray a week and I'm satisfied. For me, most movies aren't worth seeing more than once or twice but I do like buying seasons of shows I like on blu ray, such as Lost or Breaking Bad.

Apr 21, 2010 at 8:17 AM Post #18 of 51
Fat ps3 as well. I also like that it plays sacd's. But I guess that's another thread
wink_face.gif

Apr 21, 2010 at 1:21 PM Post #20 of 51
Fat PS3 80gb here with a Panasonic 42PZ800 plasma. Used to have a Samsung BD-P1400, but the loading times were so slow (1 minute+, compared to 1-5 seconds on the PS3) and some blurays didnt play well and Samsung was quite slow to fix these things in firmware updates, so I bought the PS3
biggrin.gif

Only thing is that a fat PS3 can become a bit noisy if you dont clean it often (well, once every couple of months) and the dvd upscaling is acceptable, but not top of the bill imo (the P1400 was slightly better here).

Apr 23, 2010 at 11:31 AM Post #22 of 51
Since you do want to get a PlayStation 3, I'd recommend getting the 120 GB PS3 "Slim," since with built-in Wi-Fi you can easily do player updates to handle even the latest Blu-ray disc releases.

Apr 23, 2010 at 2:57 PM Post #23 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by intoflatlines /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't wait for Netflix to work on the PS3 w/o the stupid disc.

Get an Xbox
tongue.gif

Not to thread-jack but the Netflix implementation is much better on the Xbox than the PS3.

Apr 23, 2010 at 5:18 PM Post #24 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by leftnose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the Netflix implementation is much better on the Xbox than the PS3.

Not for long. MS's exclusivity agreement w/Netflix expires around August timeframe.
I expect a firmware update to the PS3 that allows streaming sans the DVD disc around that time as well.

Apr 23, 2010 at 5:43 PM Post #25 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not for long. MS's exclusivity agreement w/Netflix expires around August timeframe.
I expect a firmware update to the PS3 that allows streaming sans the DVD disc around that time as well.

I'm not really referring to the fact that you have to stick a disc in the PS3 to stream Netflix. The Xbox's in-movie interface is better, you pause and you get a BD-style timeline with marker, it's easier to fast forward and rewind and the root menus are better. It's just a better experience with the XBox. The IR port on the XB also works better with my Harmony remote than the PS3 with the bluetooth repeater (which actually works VERY well but it's just not quite as good as with the XB).

Now, maybe once Sony can integrate Netflix streaming into the firmware, they'll make improvements so the experience is as good as with the XB but it's not there yet.

Apr 23, 2010 at 5:56 PM Post #26 of 51
ps3 fat myself.
With 3 kids and a wife that wants the least possible clutter, easy choice.

Apr 24, 2010 at 7:53 AM Post #27 of 51
Oppo BDP-83 as well. A great player, but the main reason to get one is for the DVD upscaling and analog out (including SACD). The video quality differences between BD players are nowhere near as stark as between DVD playets.

Consider getting a player with built-in Netflix streaming support.

Jun 29, 2010 at 2:35 PM Post #28 of 51
PS3 is the way to go...simply just for the frequent updates.... which is essential for bluray players i think....and the added bonus of features that other players cant do

Jun 29, 2010 at 2:45 PM Post #30 of 51
I have a SONY BX1 blu ray player, going through an optic cable to my Sony Bravia HDX501W surround sound system. I'm not very experienced with tweaking these kinda things, so what settings do I need to have on my bluray and reciever to enjoy the best surround sound experience? This is an old pic of udac, but shows the bluray an reciever as well. Any suggestions will be thanked :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back