Blur Earbuds Lovers
Aug 23, 2021 at 11:21 AM Post #466 of 1,529
I was listening to my 266 MX64 STE last night and vocals are so bloomin' glorious. As I said before, I could easily dispense with the rest of my IEMs/headphones/earbuds and just keep a couple of Blurs and be done with it.

Waiting on my MX150 Retune to arrive which should be here this week! Exciting times.

And yes, god speed, may your post fly fast and true, @Ronion!
Mind sharing more about your MX150 Retune? Is there such a model offered by Wong recently?

Aug 23, 2021 at 1:58 PM Post #467 of 1,529
Mind sharing more about your MX150 Retune? Is there such a model offered by Wong recently?
He was simply abbreviating for brevity's sake. The full model name is: Blur 266 MX150 aPs Retune

1629741601974.png

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/blur-earbuds-lovers.884062/post-16507766

1629741478362.png

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/blur-earbuds-lovers.884062/post-16268150

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2021 at 2:43 PM Post #468 of 1,529
Aug 23, 2021 at 2:45 PM Post #469 of 1,529
Aug 24, 2021 at 12:33 AM Post #470 of 1,529
It's been a couple of years since I bought my set of "Blur hALF/hALF" (150-Ω, 2.5TRRS), so I've contacted Wong, to ask about the next logical upgrade - and we've determined that the Blur 266 MX150, 2.5TRRS, in White Shells, is what I'll be ordering. :ksc75smile:
Curious about how they'll compare to my K's K600 (that I modified by installing a 2.5TRRS), and to my VE Zen 2.0 ZOE 2.5TRRS.

Aug 24, 2021 at 12:41 AM Post #471 of 1,529
It's been a couple of years since I bought my set of "Blur hALF/hALF" (150-Ω, 2.5TRRS), so I've contacted Wong, to ask about the next logical upgrade - and we've determined that the Blur 266 MX150, 2.5TRRS, in White Shells, is what I'll be ordering. :ksc75smile:
Curious about how they'll compare to my K's K600 (that I modified by installing a 2.5TRRS), and to my VE Zen 2.0 ZOE 2.5TRRS.

Hope it's the upgrade you're looking for! Would also be interested in your comparisons to the Zen 2.0 ZOE.

Aug 24, 2021 at 1:40 AM Post #473 of 1,529
Awesome to hear David! The Blur House Sound has matured since 2017/2018 and I think you will be pleasantly surprised good sir... most especially with the Retuned MX150. I just informed Wong that you were the paramount reason of why I bought my first two pairs of Blurs back in mid-2018!

Aug 24, 2021 at 6:17 AM Post #475 of 1,529
Greetings to all Blur'lievers!

Please welcome Wong's latest creation, his black badge, the...

Blur OFC PK150 Wraith "Minimalist" Limited Edition (150Ω)
Ultra-Slim 2.5TRRS Balanced Plug; 1 of 1

Blur OFC PK150 Wraith Limited Edition (4).jpg

Blur OFC PK150 Wraith FR Graph.jpg

Full Mini-Review HERE

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2021 at 7:03 AM Post #476 of 1,529

Blur OFC PK150 Wraith Limited Edition (150Ω)

This very limited edition earbud created by Wong and I is now my seventh Blur and thankfully for the world's sake is 1 of 1 only... as you can see in the picture above these earbuds are haunted by a menacing wraith! This Limited Edition is kicking off the launch of three (3) new "reference tuning" model lines: the now available to order minimalist reference 'mid-focused' Blur OFC PK150 Wraith Standard Edition; the soon arriving reference 'balanced for vocals' Blur 189 MX aPs model series incorporating the "189 Hybrid" silver + copper cabling debuted here; and a thereafter following 'true' reference sound MX aPs & PK model series which should be announced at a not too later date after the Blur 189 MX aPs launch :wink:.

Now with that all said let's get on to the other worldly Wraith reigning in that twilight realm somewhere between here and there!

The Blur OFC PK150 Wraith Standard Edition (which is now available for order for SGD189) will use the same driver; with similar tuning and shell; but different cabling and termination style/type as used on this Blur OFC PK150 Wraith LE that I am showcasing here in this post.

The PK150Ω driver has always been a unicorn for me as it offers extraordinary timbre (an open naturalness of fine resolution without peer) but at the cost of a rather 'excited' and 'sibilant' overall signature that comes off bright and fatiguing. Coming off his recent discoveries with the Special Tuning Edition, White Face, Second Mountain, and New Line tunings Wong has finally figured out how to tame this 150Ω driver... to tune it be warmer while still maintaining lush, clear vocals and without losing the detailed mids and highs that the driver is known for. I find the 'Wraith Tuning' to be mid-centric reference; keeping to the Blur House Sound. Wong and I believe this tuning has captured the best elements of both the OFC Special Tuning Edition and the PK White Face while eliminating some of the known trouble spots of this naturally bright driver by using what Wong has learned with Second Mountain and New Line tunings. The 'Wraith Tuning' is mid-focused. Forward to achieve realistic vocals and near perfect instrument timbre. Good tonality across the entire FR with a nice pace (speed) in it's response. The treble is highly detailed with no hint of sibilance or brightness which I greatly detest and am especially sensitive too.

Blur OFC PK150 Wraith Limited Edition (1).jpg
The ultra-slim 2.5TRRS nano plug (left) is one of the tiniest I have ever seen;
here shown in comparison to a standard sized 2.5TRRS (right)

Holding to the first requirement that I had set when commissioning this new minimalist model Wong has cleverly terminated this limited edition model with a one-of-a-kind ultra-slim nano-sized 2.5mm Balanced jack that hands down is one of the narrowest (tiniest) I have even seen and apparently was a nightmare for Wong's eyes while soldering when terminating the OFC cable. The OFC cabling is exactly the same as used on the BLUR OFC MX64 aPs STE Prototype (64Ω)... so super supple, lightweight, with no microphonics to speak of.

And the Wraith will get you, if you don’t watch out!

Blur OFC PK150 Wraith w Leather Pouch.jpeg
Blur OFC PK150 Wraith.jpg
Blur OFC PK150 Wraith Limited Edition (2).jpg
Blur OFC PK150 Wraith Limited Edition (3).jpg
Blur OFC PK150 Wraith 150Ω.jpg
ff049fd5-074d-4f0f-b231-a50ec7f2751d.jpg

My wallet.... Really wonder how this and the 'balanced for vocals' Blur 189 MX aPs sound vs the MX64 STE.....

Oh no. Rabbit hole.

Aug 24, 2021 at 9:28 AM Post #477 of 1,529

Blur OFC PK150 Wraith Limited Edition (150Ω)

This very limited edition earbud created by Wong and I is now my seventh Blur and thankfully for the world's sake is 1 of 1 only... as you can see in the picture above these earbuds are haunted by a menacing wraith! This Limited Edition is kicking off the launch of three (3) new "reference tuning" model lines: the now available to order minimalist reference 'mid-focused' Blur OFC PK150 Wraith Standard Edition; the soon arriving reference 'balanced for vocals' Blur 189 MX aPs model series incorporating the "189 Hybrid" silver + copper cabling debuted here; and a thereafter following 'true' reference sound MX aPs & PK model series which should be announced at a not too later date after the Blur 189 MX aPs launch :wink:.

Now with that all said let's get on to the other worldly Wraith reigning in that twilight realm somewhere between here and there!

The Blur OFC PK150 Wraith Standard Edition (which is now available for order for SGD189) will use the same driver and cabling; with similar tuning and shell; but different termination style/type as used on this Blur OFC PK150 Wraith LE being showcased in this here post.

The PK150Ω driver has always been a unicorn for me as it offers extraordinary timbre (an open naturalness of fine resolution without peer) but at the cost of a rather 'excited' and 'sibilant' overall signature that comes off bright and fatiguing. Coming off his recent discoveries with the Special Tuning Edition, White Face, Second Mountain, and New Line tunings Wong has finally figured out how to tame this 150Ω driver... to tune it be warmer while still maintaining lush, clear vocals and without losing the detailed mids and highs that the driver is known for. I find the 'Wraith Tuning' to be mid-centric reference; keeping to the Blur House Sound. Wong and I believe this tuning has captured the best elements of both the OFC Special Tuning Edition and the PK White Face while eliminating some of the known trouble spots of this naturally bright driver by using what Wong has learned with Second Mountain and New Line tunings. The 'Wraith Tuning' is mid-focused. Forward to achieve realistic vocals and near perfect instrument timbre. Good tonality across the entire FR with a nice pace (speed) in it's response. The treble is highly detailed with no hint of sibilance or brightness which I greatly detest and am especially sensitive too.

Blur OFC PK150 Wraith Limited Edition (1).jpg
The ultra-slim 2.5TRRS nano plug (left) is one of the tiniest I have ever seen;
here shown in comparison to a standard sized 2.5TRRS (right)

Holding to the first requirement that I had set when commissioning this new minimalist model Wong has cleverly terminated this limited edition model with a one-of-a-kind ultra-slim nano-sized 2.5mm Balanced jack that hands down is one of the narrowest (tiniest) I have even seen and apparently was a nightmare for Wong's eyes while soldering when terminating the OFC cable. The OFC cabling is exactly the same as used on the BLUR OFC MX64 aPs STE Prototype (64Ω)... so super supple, lightweight, with no microphonics to speak of.

And the Wraith will get you, if you don’t watch out!

Blur OFC PK150 Wraith w Leather Pouch.jpeg
Blur OFC PK150 Wraith.jpg
Blur OFC PK150 Wraith Limited Edition (2).jpg
Blur OFC PK150 Wraith Limited Edition (3).jpg
Blur OFC PK150 Wraith 150Ω.jpg
ff049fd5-074d-4f0f-b231-a50ec7f2751d.jpg

Wraith continuing the tuning expertise of PK White Face and STE...

Oh no.

Room for one more down that rabbit hole
@nymz?

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2021 at 9:36 AM Post #479 of 1,529

Users who are viewing this thread

Back