Blur Earbuds Lovers
Jul 13, 2018 at 7:51 PM Post #16 of 1,529
You use them naked? (The buds I mean!)

So far. They fit so securely that way. I have not yet tried foams but I will at some point. All my other buds are used with foams, but maybe I should try my Toneking Ting without because the feel too big with foams.

Jul 13, 2018 at 8:20 PM Post #18 of 1,529
I'm new here, but I've used iPod earbuds going back aways.

What's the thought on earbuds vs. IEMs. I get the whole headphone difference, but what's the difference between a good EB and a good IEM?

Is it a comfort issue, sound issue, etc.?

Thanks, Chris

Jul 13, 2018 at 9:22 PM Post #19 of 1,529
I'm new here, but I've used iPod earbuds going back aways.

What's the thought on earbuds vs. IEMs. I get the whole headphone difference, but what's the difference between a good EB and a good IEM?

Is it a comfort issue, sound issue, etc.?

Thanks, Chris

Welcome to head if Chris!

There is a wide range of ideas on how to answer your question but I think no one will disagree that you are potentially in for a big treat!
Earbuds have come a looong way since the iPod earbuds. There has been a steep evolution pioneered by developers bent on maximizing capabilities within the limits of the earbud form factor.

There’s a lot more info around to answer your question about differences between iem and earbuds, particularly in the Earbuds round-up thread but for me, in general:

-earbuds tend to have a much more “open” sound than iem’s
-they sound much more natural
-iems seal the ear ear canal and some find that uncomfortable because
-it creates a vacuum feeling and shuts off hearing the outside environment

This particular thread is dedicated to a line of earbuds many consider to be some of the best. Blur!

Cheers,

Sid

Jul 13, 2018 at 9:33 PM Post #20 of 1,529
Welcome to head if Chris!

There is a wide range of ideas on how to answer your question but I think no one will disagree that you are potentially in for a big treat!
Earbuds have come a looong way since the iPod earbuds. There has been a steep evolution pioneered by developers bent on maximizing capabilities within the limits of the earbud form factor.

There’s a lot more info around to answer your question about differences between iem and earbuds, particularly in the Earbuds round-up thread but for me, in general:

-earbuds tend to have a much more “open” sound than iem’s
-they sound much more natural
-iems seal the ear ear canal and some find that uncomfortable because
-it creates a vacuum feeling and shuts off hearing the outside environment

This particular thread is dedicated to a line of earbuds many consider to be some of the best. Blur!

Cheers,

Sid

Thanks Sid!

I'm learning and recently bought the KZ ZST and Symphonized NRG 3.0s, to fiddle with my crappy iPod. In my searching, I see a lot of earbuds, but didn't know much about the SOTA. I see some of them are quite expensive.

You've helped me, so I appreciate it. I'm strictly low budget now, but I'll start looking at them more closely.

Chris

Jul 13, 2018 at 9:53 PM Post #21 of 1,529
Thanks Sid!

I'm learning and recently bought the KZ ZST and Symphonized NRG 3.0s, to fiddle with my ****ty iPod. In my searching, I see a lot of earbuds, but didn't know much about the SOTA. I see some of them are quite expensive.

You've helped me, so I appreciate it. I'm strictly low budget now, but I'll start looking at them more closely.

Chris

That’s awesome!
You are more than welcome.
Nothing wrong with your current lineup at all!
Luckily there’s a ton of great options for every budget these days.
Lots of bang for the buck!
I think you can go further up the sound quality ladder particularly with earbuds.
I forgot to list that aspect but it’s one of the reasons this thread exists.

Enjoy!!

Jul 14, 2018 at 1:38 AM Post #22 of 1,529
I use mine without foams but with rubber rings.
I tried with the VE shark fins, but it got a little uncomfortable after a couple of hours. So I’ve gone to a set Abnormal foams that came with my Willsounds.

Jul 14, 2018 at 2:25 AM Post #23 of 1,529
I have had the Black Panther for a couple of weeks. I let it burn in for a few days but of course I listened with them whenever I was sitting at my desk. Very comfortable and sound great.
How well do you like your little Firestone Audio Fubar HD? Any Pros & Cons you share would be appreciated. Cheers.

Jul 14, 2018 at 1:54 PM Post #24 of 1,529
I tried with the VE shark fins, but it got a little uncomfortable after a couple of hours. So I’ve gone to a set Abnormal foams that came with my Willsounds.

Same happens to me with the fins.
It locks the positioning in so well, I’ll endure 2 or 3 hours!
Don’t know what that says about me...
Maybe I’m a glutton for blurishmemt!

Jul 14, 2018 at 2:17 PM Post #25 of 1,529
How well do you like your little Firestone Audio Fubar HD? Any Pros & Cons you share would be appreciated. Cheers.

Surprised you knew what it was:) The name is not in the photo.

Great little amp! It first belonged to my husband. He bought it because he liked the features and the spec. When he bought his balanced amp he gave me the Fubar HD. He says he misses it sometimes. I have been using it for several months and I like it more than my previous amp. Everything sounds great... drives everything I have. I especially like the small size. No problem with sensitive buds or iems but you barely have to touch the volume for those. The volume knob is really nice and smooth.

I only have usb from my PC (playing Flac with Foobar2000) but it will also take coax and optical if I ever need it.

I like that it has green lights for the source and gain settings. I hate the blue lights that are on so many electronics now. Actually there is a blue power light but I covered it with a bit of black electrical tape. The green lights are enough to tell me it is powered on:) I have it connected (RCA) to a little amp that powers my desktop speakers (and outputs to the powered sub also).

The only con I can think of is that I wish it would remember the source and gain settings when it is powered down. Have to press the source and the gain button each time... but its not really a problem, just would be cool if it remembered.

Are you considering it?

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2018 at 12:09 AM Post #27 of 1,529
Any impressions of the black panther?
I'm kinda on a budget so the brokee is out of my budget atm

Jul 15, 2018 at 2:48 AM Post #28 of 1,529
Any impressions of the black panther?
I'm kinda on a budget so the brokee is out of my budget atm

Black Panther - thin monk foams - xdp-300 - The Beat - Here We Go Love!
Bass - warm, smooth with a nice texture.
Mids - detailed and crunchy.
Treble - crisp, clean, not sibilant at all, if just touch rolled off at the very top.
Soundstage - fairly open, easy to place instruments.
Hope this helps, this is how I hear it, however ymmv.

Jul 15, 2018 at 10:52 AM Post #29 of 1,529
Black Panther - thin monk foams - xdp-300 - The Beat - Here We Go Love!
Bass - warm, smooth with a nice texture.
Mids - detailed and crunchy.
Treble - crisp, clean, not sibilant at all, if just touch rolled off at the very top.
Soundstage - fairly open, easy to place instruments.
Hope this helps, this is how I hear it, however ymmv.

What's the impedance?

Jul 15, 2018 at 10:56 AM Post #30 of 1,529
This is a good thread already, subbed.

I think, among his 'common' buds, there are these available at the moment:

Red Brokee/Real Brokee/Seriously Brokee (Ultimate Brokee not in production yet, I have a prototype I currently can't even use because my balanced to SE adapter hasn't arrived yet :frowning2:*
Black Panther
Half and Half
HenNaGaijin
Blur 150ohm SPC/300ohm
Chocolate/White Chocolate/Silver Chocolate
Silver Silver

*before anyone says 'why would you buy a balanced earbud without a matching source, you idiot?', it was meant to pair with my Shanling M3s, which died mere days after the things had arrived. :p

That's a shame about your M3s. That part just registered!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back