Bluetooth headphones
Nov 29, 2008 at 3:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

R3SET

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys,
darthsmile.gif

Im looking for a full-size, closed and wireless headphone. I'm using it in the train and on the streets. It's going to be paired with my Sony NWZ-A828. I found only two serious options here:

Sony DR-BT50, €150
sony_dr_bt50_bluetooth_headset.jpg

Philips SHB9000, €100
8615_10010893806.jpg

However i couldn't find anything about those headphones on the head-fi forums, there are some reviews, which are all quit positive.

Anyone that can say something about one of these?
happy_face1.gif

Dec 9, 2008 at 12:22 AM Post #2 of 10
No one have a opinion on these headphones?

Dec 9, 2008 at 5:59 AM Post #3 of 10
around these parts you won't hear much praise for bluetooth headphones.
The problem is, no matter how great the headphones are, the bluetooth connection is the limiting factor. Bluetooth is a low bitrate connection, only so much data can get through.
Thus bluetooth headphones will always be slaughtered by similarly priced wired headphones.
That being said, I realize the convenience factor of having no wire. And if you are using them with low bitrate mp3s it shouldn't matter too much anyway. Just don't expect them to satisfy your serious listening needs.
With bluetooth comes a lot more new questions, such as range and battery life. best thing you can do is find somewhere you can audition them before hand

if you aren't stuck on that form factor, I would suggest getting a set of Jabra BT620s. They are said to be great for bluetooth cans.

Dec 29, 2008 at 9:49 PM Post #4 of 10
I tried to find a shop to listen to one of those, but there weren't any. The Sony DR-BT50 was discounted to €125 at a online shop so i ordered one. I will keep you updated.

Dec 29, 2008 at 9:58 PM Post #5 of 10
I have not listened to either of the headphones that you have listed, but I just purchased the Motorokr S9-HD. I use them with my Samsung Omnia to be completely wireless and mobile
L3000.gif
. They sound great to me. Some of the fidelity is lost but the bass is better then some wired headphones that I have listened to.
Let me know how you make out with either of the two that you have listed.

Mar 31, 2009 at 7:08 PM Post #6 of 10
I have the Sony DR-BT50 for some months now. Don't expect high-end sound like a HD600 or similar, but it doesn't disappoint. It's just nice and easy to listen to, bit warm sound signature, and it's really great to have a wireless headphone around. The battery lasts very very long, i recharged it only one time until now. The only two complaints i have are the fact the earpads are small, my ears are quit small but still touches the earpads a bit. If you have bigger ears, it's probably not very comfortable. Secondly, the earpads are wide because of the amplifier and bluetooth receiver build-in, which looks a bit strange. (you don't notice any additional weight)

Works great with laptop/pc or the Sony A-82x player.

Jul 22, 2009 at 12:23 AM Post #7 of 10
Let me fill in as a long time BT50 user, if someone is considering buying them and can't make up their mind.

No they are not that high-end, and as said, no BT phones will ever be. So in the BT genre I'd say they are top of the line, for various reasons.
The earpads, as said, barely covers your ears, and it looks kindo stupid =P
But eventhough they press on your ears, the pressure is light and you can wear them for ages. The bass is a bit dissapointing, but being light probably contributes to the main pro of these phones, the humongous and absurd battery life. I recharge them so seldom that I have to look for the damn charger everytime.

The only real con that I have found is when using it with your pc, is the latency when using the stereo "hifi" bluetooth mode, maybe later drivers fixes this, I haven't tried in a while. So they are useless for watching movies, unless you want to adjust movie sound backwards a bit. If you use them in headset mode it works fine.
Also a bit of a con, the mic isn't that great. Mostly useless if it's windy outside. Indoors it works fine but is compressed rather heavily. But if fills it's function, which for me is if someone calls me while I'm listening to music and I can't be bothered to take them off. =)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back