Bluetooth Headphones' Signal Strength
Jan 7, 2014 at 8:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

p a t r i c k

500+ Head-Fier
For some time I've been using a pair of Sandstrom SBTHP11X bluetooth headphones with my MacBook Pro. The sound quality from these is basic but I use them when watching TV programmes and doing a bit of housework at the same time. They are fine for dialogue. The headphones have died all of a sudden. I will need to replace them, but when replacing them I would like a much better signal strength than they have if that is possible. These Sandstrom headphones lose the signal if I go into an adjacent room. I just don't know if bluetooth headphones can be powerful enough to keep a good signal if you go into an adjacent room in the house, I don't know anything about bluetooth technology and what it is capable of. All the internal walls in my house are brick, so I understand why the signal dies so quickly.

I wonder if there are bluetooth headphones with a bigger range and greater signal strength than these Sandstrom ones I have? The Sandstrom headphones were very cheap to buy so maybe some more expensive bluetooth headphones will have what I require. As they are so useful to me I am quite happy to pay up to a couple of hundred £/€/$s if need be.

I'm not very keen on RF because for that I would need to add a transmitter to the Macbook Pro and so it would be less mobile.

Thank you.

Jan 7, 2014 at 8:56 PM Post #2 of 9
  For some time I've been using a pair of Sandstrom SBTHP11X bluetooth headphones with my MacBook Pro. The sound quality from these is basic but I use them when watching TV programmes and doing a bit of housework at the same time. They are fine for dialogue. The headphones have died all of a sudden. I will need to replace them, but when replacing them I would like a much better signal strength than they have if that is possible. These Sandstrom headphones lose the signal if I go into an adjacent room. I just don't know if bluetooth headphones can be powerful enough to keep a good signal if you go into an adjacent room in the house, I don't know anything about bluetooth technology and what it is capable of. All the internal walls in my house are brick, so I understand why the signal dies so quickly.

I wonder if there are bluetooth headphones with a bigger range and greater signal strength than these Sandstrom ones I have? The Sandstrom headphones were very cheap to buy so maybe some more expensive bluetooth headphones will have what I require. As they are so useful to me I am quite happy to pay up to a couple of hundred £/€/$s if need be.

I'm not very keen on RF because for that I would need to add a transmitter to the Macbook Pro and so it would be less mobile.

Thank you.

The design, and internal structure of the headphones (and speakers for BT speakers) will determine the distance you can get from them.  BT has a max distance of 33 feet baring barring no obstacles or any interference of any type.  So about 10 yards, which is pretty far.  However, as the manufacturer adds plates and housings in, metal can cause interference with the signal at times, this is what causes the degrading of signal and it tends to be a rapid one.  

I do not know of too many BT headphones that can get this distance (I've ran into quite a lot that won't go more than 10 feet actually with nothing but air in between, kind of pathetic).  The ones that work the best for me are the Harman Kardon BT as I could literally leave my iPhone (source) in the house, go out my room, down the hall, down half a flight of stairs, around to the driveway, and toss out some trash without losing connection...  Note that I'm never more than 10 yards from the source, probably 20-25 feet tops, but the signal is traveling through brick and walls XD  

The HK BT will set you back 300 bones though :/  

Jan 9, 2014 at 3:16 AM Post #3 of 9

The design, and internal structure of the headphones (and speakers for BT speakers) will determine the distance you can get from them.  BT has a max distance of 33 feet baring barring no obstacles or any interference of any type.  So about 10 yards, which is pretty far.  However, as the manufacturer adds plates and housings in, metal can cause interference with the signal at times, this is what causes the degrading of signal and it tends to be a rapid one.  

I do not know of too many BT headphones that can get this distance (I've ran into quite a lot that won't go more than 10 feet actually with nothing but air in between, kind of pathetic).  The ones that work the best for me are the Harman Kardon BT as I could literally leave my iPhone (source) in the house, go out my room, down the hall, down half a flight of stairs, around to the driveway, and toss out some trash without losing connection...  Note that I'm never more than 10 yards from the source, probably 20-25 feet tops, but the signal is traveling through brick and walls XD  

The HK BT will set you back 300 bones though :/  

Thank you tinyman392 for this suggestion. I am checking out the Harman Kardan BT headphones now. I see that in the UK they are £219 which is do-able for me. Also I could get them from Amazon which would let me have 30 days of trial.

My Sandstrom headphones have come back to life since I posted my original enquiry, however I find the fact that they lose signal when going into the next room in my house to be so limiting that I think I am interested in the Harman Kardon BT headphones.

I know that with bluetooth it is not possible to have the kind of range that you can have with RF, however I think that the Harman Kardon BT's may have enough for my requirements and of course I won't need the RF transmitter plugged into the MacBook Pro. Also the Harman Kardon BT's will almost certainly have better isolation than my very Sandstrom headphones which will be handy while doing my vacuuming :)

Jan 9, 2014 at 2:09 PM Post #4 of 9

Thank you tinyman392 for this suggestion. I am checking out the Harman Kardan BT headphones now. I see that in the UK they are £219 which is do-able for me. Also I could get them from Amazon which would let me have 30 days of trial.

My Sandstrom headphones have come back to life since I posted my original enquiry, however I find the fact that they lose signal when going into the next room in my house to be so limiting that I think I am interested in the Harman Kardon BT headphones.

I know that with bluetooth it is not possible to have the kind of range that you can have with RF, however I think that the Harman Kardon BT's may have enough for my requirements and of course I won't need the RF transmitter plugged into the MacBook Pro. Also the Harman Kardon BT's will almost certainly have better isolation than my very Sandstrom headphones which will be handy while doing my vacuuming :)

Hope it works well for you.  I was running mine with an iPod Touch 5G at the time.  Haven't tested it's range on any other products though (Macbook or iPhone).  

Jan 14, 2014 at 9:09 AM Post #7 of 9
I've had all of these phones. Have now AKG K845BT. The best on signal strength for me was AKG. Hardly any dropout, could go behind walls and up/down floors. The Sony were also pretty good. They are all premium bluetooth headphones so nothing will go wrong with choosing one or another. But remember that the AKG can't change/skipp tracks using with ios or Android. Only volume up/down play/pause

Jan 14, 2014 at 9:39 AM Post #8 of 9
I've had all of these phones. Have now AKG K845BT. The best on signal strength for me was AKG. Hardly any dropout, could go behind walls and up/down floors. The Sony were also pretty good. They are all premium bluetooth headphones so nothing will go wrong with choosing one or another. But remember that the AKG can't change/skipp tracks using with ios or Android. Only volume up/down play/pause

Hi

Thank you for telling me about your experiences with these headphones.

I find the AKG K845BT to be of interest because I really like my AKG K550 headphones and the AKG K845BT looks to be of a similar design.

The first priority is signal strength because of the particular use I have is for use when doing housework. I like to watch TV programs on my MacBook Pro but I need to go into other rooms all the time, and with the very cheap Sandstrom headphones I have they lose the connection.

I might try out the AKG K845BT headphones, which I could buy at Amazon.co.uk and if the signal strength is not good enough then I could return them with 30 days. I can ascertain the signal strength issue quickly and easily.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back