Bluetooth Headphone Amp/DAC to replace FiiO E17

Discussion in 'Portable Headphone Amps' started by rG-tom, Dec 21, 2017.
  1. rG-tom
    Hi all,

I've currently got a FiiO E17 that I use with my Galaxy S8 via USB with my RHA T10i IEMs (I know their sound profile isn't to everyone's taste but i find them very pleasant to listen to, way preferable to my Triple.Fi10s). I'm a little fed up of the extra wires and bulk that this DAC/Amp combo introduces but the S8 cannot remotely drive these IEMs properly, despite only being 16ohm.

Has anyone here used an E17 and also ampls such as the BTR1? How do they compare? Will the BTR1 be capable of driving these IEMs as well as the e17 can or will I need to look at the Astell and Kern XB10?

For reference, whilst the sound quality is much improved from my iPad air 2 compared to the Samsung, it's still a long way off the quality of the e17 so if the BTR1 is "only" as good as an iphone or S7 then it's going to fall way short of my expectations. These two seem like the only options that look suitable that I've seen so far.

Thanks in advance!

Kind regards,

Tom.

2. Dulalala
    Are you using the Exynos or Qualcomm model?

3. rG-tom
    Exynos as I'm in the UK. Is the Snapdragon version equipped with a better DAC/amp?

4. Dulalala
    Nope the Exynos is. My S8 can drive the T10i perfectly fine so I was a bit intrigued.

5. rG-tom
    Hmm have you used the t10i with something like the e17? To me there is a huge difference between s8 output and that, with the s8 output it's also very quiet.

6. Dulalala
    I had an E07K, I've also used it with a desktop DAC/Amp. The S8 outputs loud enough for me, I've never gone past 70% with the S8 on it. Granted, I do know that the EU has a regulation on volume limiting for devices sold in the EU but I'm not sure if that applies to the UK. It could be that, but again, I'm not sure. I believe there is a way to bypass it if that is the case.

7. rG-tom
    I do think that's probably it to be frank. You have just reminded me that my iPad Air 2 was bought in Hong Kong so is of course not subject to that regulation. Whilst that does remove the volume issue, it still doesn't sound remotely as good as the E17,