Bluesound Node 2i
Apr 10, 2021 at 6:10 PM Post #271 of 435
I saw that also and don't understand it at all.

I'm using my node 2i for Tidal and I bought it specifically for the MQA support. If not there were a couple of other streamers I would have liked.
I like the MQA decode, but on the Arche, I prefer the sound of its own DAC. That may be of whatever processing the Arche does for the Stellia though. I think the node2i has a decent DAC. It also opens up future options, if I want to change configuration and there was also no way to try the MQA decoding unless I got it :)

Apr 10, 2021 at 6:51 PM Post #272 of 435
I like the MQA decode, but on the Arche, I prefer the sound of its own DAC. That may be of whatever processing the Arche does for the Stellia though. I think the node2i has a decent DAC. It also opens up future options, if I want to change configuration and there was also no way to try the MQA decoding unless I got it :)
The Arche is the perfect system for Focal headphones I always found the sound to be worse using any other DAC whether it's the internal Node 2i DAC or the Sabaj D5 with ES3098Pro.

Also for me I use Qobuz into Roon so not utilising MQA.

Apr 10, 2021 at 8:56 PM Post #273 of 435
So quite a few are running node into another DAC, I guess the MQA decoding for Tidal doesn't really make that much of a difference?
I had Tidal for a while and tried Qobuz, which sounded much better to me, so I cancelled Tidal. I'm not even sure MQA is designed to improve sound quality. I get the distinct impression it was designed to compress the data stream to lower bandwidth requirements, because bandwidth cost services money. Maybe someday someone will do some tests. As of now, I haven't seen anything definitive.

Apr 10, 2021 at 11:14 PM Post #274 of 435
For me, pcm via my dac sounded better than Tidal masters (mqa) via the internal dac in the Node 2i. And comparisons of mqa and pcm both via the Node's dac were inconclusive at best. In general, I remain unconvinced regarding the putative benefit of mqa, regardless of the dac used. And there are some things about mqa (not sound related) that concern me. Moreover, I think the improvements in technology and increases in bandwidth leave it as a solution in search of a problem, at least for my situation. I don't think the dac in the Node is bad, but I would characterize it as serviceable but unremarkable. But if that was all I had, I would still enjoy my music. I use it for tv and movie sound.

Apr 28, 2021 at 5:33 AM Post #275 of 435
Well, been on a hunt for a roon ready device for a while, and just purchased the node 2i.

Wanted to get rid of my loud laptop (Razer 15) out of the mix and out of the room to just use it as a roon core.

I have two MQA DACs (D90, M400) and was planning on using the node2i as a transport. However, I just realized as with most DACs, both DACs can only decode/render MQA over USB input, despite the node 2i being capable of MQA passthru over SPDIF output. Can't believe I overlooked that detail before pulling the trigger.

Aaaaarrrrrgggggg!!!!!

Not sure if I should just return and get a network bridge with USB out or just keep the node2i and forgo MQA. I'm not a die-hard MQA fan, but I have the harware to run it, so why not use it right?

Apr 28, 2021 at 7:15 AM Post #276 of 435
Well, been on a hunt for a roon ready device for a while, and just purchased the node 2i.

Wanted to get rid of my loud laptop (Razer 15) out of the mix and out of the room to just use it as a roon core.

I have two MQA DACs (D90, M400) and was planning on using the node2i as a transport. However, I just realized as with most DACs, both DACs can only decode/render MQA over USB input, despite the node 2i being capable of MQA passthru over SPDIF output. Can't believe I overlooked that detail before pulling the trigger.
Sadly I think this is more common than not. I tested optical in on my Oppo 205 and it also doesn't detect MQA.

I have a new DDC coming in a few week(s) and I'm gonna check whether my Brooklyn can do MQA over AES/EBU, optical, and coaxial. I bet money it does but I will verify when I start moving gear around.
Aaaaarrrrrgggggg!!!!!

Not sure if I should just return and get a network bridge with USB out or just keep the node2i and forgo MQA. I'm not a die-hard MQA fan, but I have the harware to run it, so why not use it right?
I like MQA and the node 2i is a really nice box at the price point. Plus the bluesound software ecosystem is the best I have seen in modern apps. It just works all the time, the updates are seamless, super quality.

I don't use mine as a transport, I run the analog out into a mini stack integrated amp. I was thinking of buying another one but the EU store shows them unavailable in EU...

Anyway, I can't spend your money but I think it's worth keeping. If you can, use the analog out. If not, you still get the 1st unfold like you would from the desktop app. So there is some advantage. By the way, it can play MQA at full unfold even from Deezer while the Deezer desktop app cannot.

BTW not sure how a network USB bridge would help here.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2021 at 3:14 PM Post #277 of 435
Anyway, I can't spend your money but I think it's worth keeping. If you can, use the analog out. If not, you still get the 1st unfold like you would from the desktop app. So there is some advantage. By the way, it can play MQA at full unfold even from Deezer while the Deezer desktop app cannot.

I've decided to keep it. Couldn't resist opening the box when the package arrived from Amazon 😃😄😒.

Setup was a breeze albeit it took several tries to get the firmware update.

Node2i is snappy with no lag even over wifi. I am impressed. It's roon ready and I mostly use Roon/Tidal, but being able to do spotify connect is a bonus.

Anyone notice any difference in SQ between coax and optical? I think I've read somewhere while back regarding node2i's optical out not measuring well. Sounds fine so far with no noticeable noise.

Apr 28, 2021 at 3:18 PM Post #278 of 435
I've decided to keep it. Couldn't resist opening the box when the package arrived from Amazon 😃😄😒.

Node2i is snappy with no lag even over wifi. I am impressed. It's roon ready and I mostly use Roon/Tidal, but being able to do spotify connect is a bonus.

Anyone notice any difference in SQ between coax and optical? I think I've read somewhere while back regarding node2i's optical out not measuring well. Sounds fine so far with no noticeable noise.
I found the sound better on toslink when comparing a cheap toslink cable I had on hand to a cheap coax cable. I upgraded to a lifatec glass fiber cable and it improved the sound further. Unlike normal audiophile cables, the lifatec cable is comparatively cheap, so a worthwhile upgrade.

Apr 28, 2021 at 4:00 PM Post #279 of 435

It depends on your environment. In theory it's the same signal but optical has more jitter and coax can pick up electrical noise. Practical difference is probably splitting hair.

Personally I like coax just because I have my doubts about tiny little eensy weensy flashes of light being lost :D

Apr 28, 2021 at 4:45 PM Post #280 of 435
It depends on your environment. In theory it's the same signal but optical has more jitter and coax can pick up electrical noise. Practical difference is probably splitting hair.

Personally I like coax just because I have my doubts about tiny little eensy weensy flashes of light being lost :D
Considering coax tops out at maybe 10gbps and fiber has been tested well over 1 tbps, I wouldn't worry too much about those flashes of light :relaxed:

Apr 28, 2021 at 5:16 PM Post #281 of 435
Considering coax tops out at maybe 10gbps and fiber has been tested well over 1 tbps, I wouldn't worry too much about those flashes of light :relaxed:
Well I will bet you a case of beer that the fiber you get for $2.99 when you buy an optical cable is barely good enough for 192 KHz :wink:

Apr 28, 2021 at 6:37 PM Post #282 of 435
Well I will bet you a case of beer that the fiber you get for $2.99 when you buy an optical cable is barely good enough for 192 KHz :wink:
I don't have many fiber cables, just a cheap belkin and the lifatec. The belkin did pass through 192 khz, amazingly. I haven't gone all the way down to $2.99, but you're right, anything that cheap may be made from melted plastic bags. :relaxed:

Apr 28, 2021 at 6:38 PM Post #283 of 435
Besides its features and stable performance, I really like how well the node2i is made. Build quality is superb, particularly considering the price, with stellar design language (IMO). It escapes the typical DIY look of many streamers at this price point. If it only had MQA passthru via USB out, it would've been perfect for me.

May 5, 2021 at 5:04 PM Post #284 of 435
is there a replacement for the node2i coming soon? not available on blusound website and moon audio selling off remaining stock

May 5, 2021 at 5:10 PM Post #285 of 435
is there a replacement for the node2i coming soon? not available on blusound website and moon audio selling off remaining stock
I think there is going to be. I saw they announced they're going to make an announcement but not sure what that announcement is for certain last time I checked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back