Blues/Jazz?
Sep 7, 2009 at 12:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

unl3a5h3d

500+ Head-Fier
Looking for some good blues and contemporary blues and contemporary jazz. Thanks for the help.

Sep 7, 2009 at 1:21 AM Post #3 of 25
I've been listening to Smooth Jazz lately - Paul Brown, David Benoit, Kenny G, Norman Brown, Chuck Loeb, etc. They produce very relaxing music, perfect for studying sessions.

Sep 7, 2009 at 1:44 AM Post #4 of 25
The Soviet mind is into Kenny G... Haha... Muzak! :wink:

The only "contemporary" blues I can think of at the moment is Satan & Adam - Harlem Blues... The album is worth a listen! Or two. Or twelve.

Sep 7, 2009 at 2:10 AM Post #6 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by San7a /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Soviet mind is into Kenny G... Haha... Muzak! :wink:

The only "contemporary" blues I can think of at the moment is Satan & Adam - Harlem Blues... The album is worth a listen! Or two. Or twelve.

Lolz. I'm no Commie, I just loved the Soviet faction in Command and Conquer: Red Alert series and World in Conflict. But then, it would be funny if real communists love jazz like from Kenny G.

Sep 7, 2009 at 2:34 AM Post #7 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by aragornmustdie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what defines contemporary blues, actually? something more like Robert Cray or Keb' Mo'?

I think contemporary blues is anything that isn't Tommy Johnson, Charley Patton, Lonnie Johnson, Scrapper Blackwell, Blind Blake... etc. Anything after 1960... ? I mean, I don't know. It's all still pretty contemporary. We only JUST turned into the new century, ya know. Maybe anything that sprang from Robert Johnson? Since he's kinda considered the culmination of all the old blues players (at least Delta)... I think.

The word "contemporary" is kinda stupid anyway. Everything is contemporary in its time... It's only this present moment that is constantly changing. I think.
confused_face.gif

Sep 7, 2009 at 2:36 AM Post #8 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjsoviet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lolz. I'm no Commie, I just loved the Soviet faction in Command and Conquer: Red Alert series and World in Conflict. But then, it would be funny if real communists love jazz like from Kenny G.

I don't even know what to say... C&C rules.

Sep 7, 2009 at 2:40 AM Post #9 of 25
Probably my favorite "modern" blues player is Ronnie Earl, especially his stuff with the Broadcasters. Others I listen to regularly include Tab Benoit, Jimmy Thackery, Bryan Lee, and Omar and the Howlers.

Contemporary jazz doesn't always mean "smooth" jazz. I agree the term contemporary is kind of a misnomer, but Pat Metheny, Lee Ritenour, Larry Carlton, Yellowjackets, all come to mind, none of which I really consider "smooth" jazz (though it's a fine line).

Sep 7, 2009 at 2:46 AM Post #10 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by jazznap /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Probably my favorite "modern" blues player is Ronnie Earl, especially his stuff with the Broadcasters. Others I listen to regularly include Tab Benoit, Jimmy Thackery, Bryan Lee, and Omar and the Howlers.

Contemporary jazz doesn't always mean "smooth" jazz. I agree the term contemporary is kind of a misnomer, but Pat Metheny, Lee Ritenour, Larry Carlton, Yellowjackets, all come to mind, none of which I really consider "smooth" jazz (though it's a fine line).

I had a jazz professor that absolutely hated "smooth jazz." I agree that contemporary jazz is not smooth jazz. It's really just something that became commercial viable in the 1980's and sought to destroy true jazz music. The word jazz itself has also sprung new meaning. A lot of things incorporate elements of jazz. Even hip-hop. A lot of the "flow" is improvised and could be considered jazz... Groups like Tribe Called Quest and Digable Planets. Not to say that hip-hop is contemporary jazz... That would be a big mistake. But it's difficult to categorize things as time moves on. Ya'know?

Sep 7, 2009 at 2:46 AM Post #11 of 25
Quote:

I don't even know what to say... C&C rules.

Epic. Say, why do coffee shops mostly use jazz/blues music? Maybe to sooth the customers, but is there any other reason?

Sep 7, 2009 at 2:50 AM Post #12 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjsoviet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Epic. Say, why do coffee shops mostly use jazz/blues music? Maybe to sooth the customers, but is there any other reason?

It helps facilitate the writing of sappy novels on Macintosh laptops.

Sep 7, 2009 at 2:59 AM Post #13 of 25
Quote:

It helps facilitate the writing of sappy novels on Macintosh laptops.

I think I have found my sig. Don't worry, I'll use it in a forum where flaming is welcome (Gametrailers) all the time.

Sep 7, 2009 at 3:14 AM Post #15 of 25
Quote:

To get back on topic, Christian Scott - Anthem is a good one. Came out in 2007.

Living in High Definition - George Benson is a good one as well IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back