Blues artists and titles help
Mar 4, 2006 at 4:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Denim

500+ Head-Fier
Greetings all ...
Don't you hate it when some new member asks for help right off the bat
icon10.gif
A friend of mine gave me a cassette tape of various artists and songs. He has had the tape for 20 + years. I've taken my first attempt of transfering side a to my hard drive as wav files. I'll end up with wav or flac and mp3's. I'd like to find out what these songs are that are on the tape. He said one was a Hendrix bootleg, which I tend to believe from the audience noise. But others were clearly taken from albums because I can see (and hear) the tell-tale pop on two of the songs. Some of these tunes are interesting and I'd like to learn more about the artist and find other works that are better quality than I have on this tape.

It's all blues with the exception of Jimi (?), and I'd guess they are all from the 60's or earlier. Will the Mods get upset if I post short clips of each song? I'd think 15 seconds should be enough to name the artist and song. I see that mp3's are not allowed as an attachment, but zip files are.

So what do you say? You may rediscover some music you had forgotten about. I'd love to find CD's with some of this music, but I don't know who's playing.

Mar 4, 2006 at 3:43 PM Post #3 of 16
Jimi is not the problem, I have a few of his CD's. The problem is all of the other artists and songs on the tape that I don't recognize. A couple of them sound familiar, but all traditional blues has a common sound to it.

I understand the Moderators concerns with file sharing, etc. But the intent of this thread is to identify the music, not share it. (Not than anyone whould want a tape-to-digital copy of something that is available in better quality at a music store.)

I'm looking for a way to identify the music without stepping all over the rules of the forums.

Mar 4, 2006 at 5:19 PM Post #5 of 16
Here is a couple lines from one of the songs...

Too many dirty dishes in the sink for just us two.
You got me wonderin' baby, who's makin' dirty dishes for you.

(Tell me you're not smiling after reading that!)

There's another line about having corn flakes and a dirty dish with a T-bone steak.

I'll jot down some other lines as I record the tape. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Mar 4, 2006 at 5:34 PM Post #7 of 16
Thanks!

I was thinking about Googling the lines and see what I get. I should have done that first
confused.gif

This version is older, but still points me in a direction to gain some knowledge.

I'm listening to a nice instrumental piece now with harmonica.

Mar 4, 2006 at 5:52 PM Post #9 of 16
The "Dirty Dishes" song was Albert Collins from Cold Snap. Recorded in 1986. If this is the newest recording on the tape, then it's right at 20 years. I'm starting to suspect I don't have the lost gems I was hoping for.

I'm bummed, but consoled by the blues.

Mar 5, 2006 at 5:19 PM Post #10 of 16
Google has helped me find a few so far, and I'll continue down that path for help when it works. However, I can't make out the words well enough on this song.
The vocals start in at about 2:15 into the song. The song is about 8:30 long. It begins with blues guitar and a male singer then says something like ...

Went down to Tampa alley
See what was goin' on
Things was too hot down there
Couldn't stay very long

I don't think he is saying "Tampa Alley", sounds more like "Temporary"

Help???

Mar 6, 2006 at 2:42 AM Post #11 of 16
It's Tin Pan Alley, and it is a blues standard. Lots of people have performed and recorded this song including Stevie Ray Vaughan, Johnny Winter and Melvin Slack among many others.

The name and the spelling of the song varies abit like many blues songs.

Mar 6, 2006 at 4:13 AM Post #12 of 16
Thanks Jubei!
The name should give me enough to match it up to the right artist. Most of the songs I'm tracking down have been done by various artist. Amazon to the rescue!
It wouldn't surprise me if I have the SRV version. Think I'd like to hear Johnny Winter do it.
You're in Hong Kong? I love Hong Kong!

Mar 6, 2006 at 1:31 PM Post #13 of 16
OK, here is the next one. The singer sounds like Johnny Bravo from Cartoon Network
biggrin.gif

Hey baby, sure look fine
Gotta way of movin' mama
Make me lose my mind
You know mama, what you got
Something I need done
Sure means a lot

Can you name that tune?

Mar 6, 2006 at 8:26 PM Post #15 of 16
Thanks Mojoman!
I have Ten Years After - "Essential", but it's not on there. It was on their Sssh album, which included another song I was searching.
I'll post some more lyrics soon.
Thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back