Bluedio UFO 8 Drivers Bluetooth Headphones Review
May 11, 2015 at 2:45 AM Post #16 of 55
Hello, and thanks for the review mate!

I wasn't particularly a fan of the R+ built-in EQ because it drowned out the mids and highs and with that, a lot of the detail was lost. I was kind of hoping the UFO would deliver a somewhat flat frequency response. This was easily rectified in R+'s case with Bluedio's USB-SPI adapter, but supposedly the tool can't be used with UFO due to a non-CSR bluetooth chip - am I right?

Putting that aside, the headset looks really sexy with its matte black finish and metal structure. I'm not sure if I want to fork out an extra $200 just for that and a 3D sound effect though. Even more so if the headset performs similar to a stock R+.

You mentioned batteries - does the headset operate on its own internal rechargeable battery, or disposable batteries (please tell me it ain't so)?

About the drivers, I'm confused - Bluedio Global Flagship Store's item description on Aliexpress claims the drivers are different from R+. Tweeters are supposedly 20mm in diameter (as opposed to R+'s 13mm), and the positioning is slightly different. Driver-specific impedances are not mentioned, but the headset's total impedance is 32 ohms. Can you confirm this again?

Sorry for the late reply, and yeah, the USB-SPI tool doesnt work with the UFO headphones. Personally, I think the UFO works best with your own EQ config according to your own taste and different music genes. Of course, with your own EQ you still cant have everything... tuned up the bass and you lose much of the clearity, its a trade off but well... its an option... I guess. At least its pretty cool doing that with my Parrot Zik 2.0 :D

For that color, personally im not a fan of all black design but Im selling like one or two units a week so im pretty sure there are quite a lot of people like you, sharing the same taste and that's cool with me :D some does comment that it looks really good for them :D

As for the battery, yes, internal rechargeable battery of its own, not going to be able to replace it with a new one unless you send it back to Bluedio for maintainence. And for now, I have no plans on undergoing an UFO autopsy (XD freaky) like i did with my R+ before :D

And hey buddy! you are right about the tweeters size! UFO's 20mm vs R+'s 13mm, but really.... I really cant tell the difference audio-wise.... maybe it's my ears? Drivers impedances, unknown; positioning, not sure... yet.... again im not planning on disecting a $200 headphones just yet.... not with my stock at least LOL

UFO's spec on the left; R+ Legend's spec on the right

May 11, 2015 at 1:07 PM Post #17 of 55
Sorry for the late reply, and yeah, the USB-SPI tool doesnt work with the UFO headphones. Personally, I think the UFO works best with your own EQ config according to your own taste and different music genes. Of course, with your own EQ you still cant have everything... tuned up the bass and you lose much of the clearity, its a trade off but well... its an option... I guess. At least its pretty cool doing that with my Parrot Zik 2.0 :D

Ah well, that's what Viper4Android audio mod is for. I borrowed a calibrated studio mic to tweak the PEQ settings so my R+ sounds damn good now :D though I'd prefer to tweak the headphones directly to extend the EQ to every device used with the headphones.
For that color, personally im not a fan of all black design but Im selling like one or two units a week so im pretty sure there are quite a lot of people like you, sharing the same taste and that's cool with me :D some does comment that it looks really good for them :D
What can I say, I guess I'm a minimalist :D not a fan of excess eyepopping details.
As for the battery, yes, internal rechargeable battery of its own, not going to be able to replace it with a new one unless you send it back to Bluedio for maintainence. And for now, I have no plans on undergoing an UFO autopsy (XD freaky) like i did with my R+ before :D
Oh thank gawd. I hate having to swap out a fresh set of batteries every 30 minutes. o.O

And hey buddy! you are right about the tweeters size! UFO's 20mm vs R+'s 13mm, but really.... I really cant tell the difference audio-wise.... maybe it's my ears? Drivers impedances, unknown; positioning, not sure... yet.... again im not planning on disecting a $200 headphones just yet.... not with my stock at least LOL

Heh I guess it'd be pretty difficult to distinquish by ear :D especially if the crossover freq is the same in R+ and UFO. I'll attach an image of the interior of the cups so you can take a look at the positioning!
(copyright Bluedio)

I'll dissect a pair if you don't want to, I need a specimen though *wink wink* ehe ehe.

May 13, 2015 at 1:54 AM Post #21 of 55
May 19, 2015 at 1:54 AM Post #22 of 55
  Love your works, great review! You seem like have tried a lot of headphones, and very careful in telling the differences between them.

haha, good to know that u enjoyed :) no pro here but i just love music, and i work on and i sell headphones as well. music is my life :D

May 30, 2015 at 10:05 AM Post #23 of 55
So got mine today and I'm pissed... Brought them off Amazon the box was not sealed, damaged and the headband was off set so the muffs dropped one side by like 2cm... The sound was really good, bass booming and in a good way.. Watched a little iron man 3 with the 3d mode and it worked a treat.. So I'm sending them back and giving them another chance.. If it sucks again my review will be nasty...

Hey buddy did you send it in? the new one comes yet?

Jun 25, 2015 at 9:02 PM Post #24 of 55
@GamerHAHA, I decided to skip the UFO's. There isn't enough "meat" added over the R+ to justify the additional cost IMHO. I've had my R+ for a few weeks now and I am enjoying them. The bass isn't as thumping as the H+ but the improvement in build quality over the H-series makes up for that...almost. Although they are a little hot on the ears after a time, they are more or less comfortable for long periods of time. And with Viper4Android they sound pretty sweet. So, I'll keep them.

However...This post is a head's up about the Bluedio Victory (V) that we previously discussed. It has not been released yet but it is listed as being priced at $353.83 (2199 yuen).

And there is a new little pair of graffiti covered headphones called Bluedio AIR that are soon to be released and they are priced at $89.96

@
GamerHAHA could you please ask around and see what info there is on what we can expect from these entries? Thanks a lot!

Jun 26, 2015 at 10:52 AM Post #25 of 55
  @GamerHAHA, I decided to skip the UFO's. There isn't enough "meat" added over the R+ to justify the additional cost IMHO. I've had my R+ for a few weeks now and I am enjoying them. The bass isn't as thumping as the H+ but the improvement in build quality over the H-series makes up for that...almost. Although they are a little hot on the ears after a time, they are more or less comfortable for long periods of time. And with Viper4Android they sound pretty sweet. So, I'll keep them.

However...This post is a head's up about the Bluedio Victory (V) that we previously discussed. It has not been released yet but it is listed as being priced at $353.83 (2199 yuen).

And there is a new little pair of graffiti covered headphones called Bluedio AIR that are soon to be released and they are priced at $89.96

@
GamerHAHA could you please ask around and see what info there is on what we can expect from these entries? Thanks a lot!

Just asked on Friday morning, no news yet to any of those "pre-launching" products over the Bluedio website. Apparently Bluedio is trying to sell their stuff at a higher price, we'll have to wait and see what quality they will be offering in return. The "V" has been a long waiting product ("pre-launching" for like over a year already and still not coming out.... :frowning2: ), as for the AIR, I hope I'm wrong about it but look at the inside of that headband and those screws and hinges.... it looks just like a Bluedio H or H+, those buttons on the right ear cup as well, very H series alike, plus with that kind of coloring im pretty sure they'd rather choose the easy and cheaper way by making it all plastic.... again, i hope i'm wrong about that.... we'll just have to wait and see....

Jun 26, 2015 at 1:24 PM Post #26 of 55
  as for the AIR, I hope I'm wrong about it but look at the inside of that headband and those screws and hinges.... it looks just like a Bluedio H or H+, those buttons on the right ear cup as well, very H series alike, plus with that kind of coloring im pretty sure they'd rather choose the easy and cheaper way by making it all plastic.... again, i hope i'm wrong about that.... we'll just have to wait and see....

That's the SAME thing I said when I saw the AIR! It looks exactly like a revamped H-series with decorative paint, lol. I too, have a feeling that it is low-grade build quality just like their siblings. Since the V-series has stalled, I wonder if it is by design (because the U-series needs to gain a share of the market) or, what? In order to ask that price point, they will need to bring it in at higher quality than the previous flagship because they will probably have the same or similar internals. I am seeing lots of price fluctuations on the UFO's. They are now going for about $179.99 on average around the Internet. The Air is listed on Bluedio.com for $100 USD. Hmm...a little steep for what we expected. I thought it would come in at around $80 and then reduce from that point downward. They do add however, that the Air now includes 3D sound. So, we'll see what the market will bear.

Aug 12, 2015 at 3:42 PM Post #27 of 55
Anyone here knows how to update the firmware of the R+ and/or UFO?
I've heard that the UFO has 2 Firmware updates that corrects major issues (scratching noise and 3D not staying on).

Amazon review:

''UPDATE 5/14/15: I've changed my rating from 3 to 4 stars because I discovered the 3D mode after reading the manual. Makes them sound so much better. If Bluedio can fix the "popping" issue that I still experience, then I will change to 5 stars. I would also like to see this 3D mode remain enabled until manual turned off. As of now, it turns off after 3 seconds if you pause a song, or if you turn the headphones off.''

''UPDATE: 6/8/15: I've updated the headphones with Bluedio's latest firmware. Customer support was excellent. After the update, the "popping" is now gone. They also now "remember" 3D mode. Before if you paused the music for more than 5 seconds, you would have to re-enable this mode. This mode is also now "remembered' even when the headphones are turned off. This was not the case on the previous firmware version. Upgrade instructions needs work, but I'm much happier now.''

Thank you~
Boutchoo

Aug 13, 2015 at 2:37 AM Post #28 of 55
@GamerHAHA We may have a winner (regarding build quality) in the Bluedio Air! I've got to hand it to Bluedio, they keep making improvements, which keeps me ever revising my opinion about them, lol. That's a good thing, btw! In any event, these don't look as fragile as its H-series predecessors now that we see it flexed.

Aug 16, 2015 at 2:39 AM Post #29 of 55
  Anyone here knows how to update the firmware of the R+ and/or UFO?
I've heard that the UFO has 2 Firmware updates that corrects major issues (scratching noise and 3D not staying on).

Amazon review:

''UPDATE 5/14/15: I've changed my rating from 3 to 4 stars because I discovered the 3D mode after reading the manual. Makes them sound so much better. If Bluedio can fix the "popping" issue that I still experience, then I will change to 5 stars. I would also like to see this 3D mode remain enabled until manual turned off. As of now, it turns off after 3 seconds if you pause a song, or if you turn the headphones off.''

''UPDATE: 6/8/15: I've updated the headphones with Bluedio's latest firmware. Customer support was excellent. After the update, the "popping" is now gone. They also now "remember" 3D mode. Before if you paused the music for more than 5 seconds, you would have to re-enable this mode. This mode is also now "remembered' even when the headphones are turned off. This was not the case on the previous firmware version. Upgrade instructions needs work, but I'm much happier now.''

Thank you~
Boutchoo

Hey buddy sorry for the late reply, for Bluedio's firmware upgrade, you'll first need the Bluedio USB-SPI tool, a hardware that you can buy via various Chinese online platforms, without that or sending the headset back to factory, there's no other way to do firmware upgrades. It happens on a few older Bluedio headsets as well. And no, I dont sell that USB-SPI tools so you'll have to look online XD
Good luck my friend :)

Aug 16, 2015 at 2:41 AM Post #30 of 55
  @GamerHAHA We may have a winner (regarding build quality) in the Bluedio Air! I've got to hand it to Bluedio, they keep making improvements, which keeps me ever revising my opinion about them, lol. That's a good thing, btw! In any event, these don't look as fragile as its H-series predecessors now that we see it flexed.

Wow! I hope it is ACTUALLY that flexiable... no news from my regional distributor yet, they said they are quite "cut off" from Bluedio due to some "product fault issues", no idea what that is but I'll have to just wait.... :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back