1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Bluedio impressions thread

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by Slater, Jul 18, 2018.
First

Back
1 2 3 4 5
7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
Next

Last
  1. CardigdanWalk
    Oh this better not be true! I also asked if the T6 supported AAC beforehand, and now you mention this ontop it all the other lies Bluedio have said, I’m now thinking they have lied just to get the sale

base08 likes this.
  2. base08
    For my Bluedio TM pair, seems to be unfortunately the case... Already tried with an iPhone 6S, iPhone 7, iPad 4 and a Macbook Pro 15'' with Sierra, all confirmed by the Console app on macOS that the codec being used is SBC.

But in all fairness the sound quality is quite good even with just 320kbps SBC... Again this is a consumer product... It's disappointing because you know you could have the best possible quality over Bluetooth (except with those new exotic Sony lossless formats) but still very much enjoyable. Its not like you are listening to FM radio... :p

Anyway I've contacted both aftersales and customer support to further clarify this...

trellus likes this.
  3. Slater
    I wasn't aware any Bluedio product was openly marketed as supporting AAC? I double checked the T6 product pages, and there is no mention of AAC at all.

Unfortunately, many sales people will tell you anything you want to hear if they think it will make you buy it. It would not surprise me if that is what happened in this case.

Maybe it is something that could be added as a firmware upgrade later. Or perhaps a hack could be done using some programming tools (assuming the chip even supports the codec). I know some Russian folks reprogrammed the T4 to eliminate the audio lag using a USB serial reprogramming tool. Maybe something similar can be done to the T6.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2018
    base08 likes this.
  4. CardigdanWalk
    The Victory states AAC and I bought the T6 on the back of this conversation.

9D994AAB-8103-4871-9931-EA456849E04A.jpeg

base08 likes this.
  5. CardigdanWalk
    As you said, it may be lies! Unless anyone here has a T6 to test?

6. Roderick
    deleted

Last edited: Aug 3, 2018
  7. Slater
    No, mine still hasn’t even shipped yet, which is quite disappointing.

I would be happy to check the TN IEM. I am not sure how helpful it would be though, as I don’t believe it was advertised as AAC either.

base08 likes this.
  8. base08
    I guess it would help if you could check yours! If you need help how to do and you have a Macbook or iMac its pretty straightforward...

9. base08
    Like you, I asked 2 times to be sure, and even seems to be 2 different persons replying:

Captura de ecrã 2018-08-02, às 23.41.03.png Captura de ecrã 2018-08-02, às 23.40.09.png

trellus likes this.
  10. BadReligionPunk
    Does apple charge for AAC license?

11. CardigdanWalk
    I don’t think AAC is actually owned my Apple, it’s just the standard they are championing.

But I think there might be some fees, from the wiki.

No licenses or payments are required for a user to stream or distribute content in AAC format.[40] This reason alone might have made AAC a more attractive format to distribute content than its predecessor MP3, particularly for streaming content (such as Internet radio) depending on the use case.

However, a patent license is required for all manufacturers or developers of AAC codecs.[41] For this reason, free and open source softwareimplementations such as FFmpeg and FAAC may be distributed in source form only, in order to avoid patent infringement. (See below under Products that support AAC, Software.)

12. Slater
    I have Windows PCs, a chromebook, abd iPhone.

Would any of that work?

13. Slater
    Apple charges for everything.

So yes, the codec license would need to be paid by someone. The Bluetooth chip manufacturer, the headphone manufacturer, etc. Heck, even to use the term and logo on packaging and web pages would require licensing.

It’s the same with aptX and Qualcomm.

Note these licensing costs are not incurred to customers/end users. It’s the manufacturer’s that bear them.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2018
  14. CardigdanWalk
    I agree with what you said, Apple does charge for everything and the codec licence will be paid by someone.

But from what I’ve read online about AAC (and may be mistaken as I know you are a lot more knowledgable about audio than me), the two statements are independent. So if Bluedio has paid for AAC support i don’t believe it’s being paid to Apple as it’s not their codec to charge for.

Some people think AAC stands for Apple Audio Codec; it doesn’t, its real name is Advanced Audio Coding. It’s true that Apple was the first major hardware or software manufacturer to champion AAC over MP3, but this format is simply a part of the MPEG-4 standard, and is owned by a consortium of companies.
    https://www.kirkville.com/aac-apples-preferred-audio-codec-2/

Again, agreed, but surely it wouldn’t be an unreasonable leap that the manufacturers would charge more for products with these support in order to recuperate the additonal cost involved. So we would be indirectly paying for them?

Last edited: Aug 3, 2018
    trellus and Slater like this.
First

Back
1 2 3 4 5
7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
Next

Last