Blue Hawaii PCB Group Buy - Heads Up
Aug 27, 2009 at 1:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

Uncle Erik

Uncle Exotic
A few of us would like to order Blue Hawaii PCBs, so I talked to Jude today and got permission to start a group buy. I started a thread in the Group Buy Forum which should be up shortly.

This thread is a heads-up. Please do not post in this thread if you want to participate. Post in the other thread - that is where I will count the people interested in boards.

However, feel free to talk about this project here, throw out ideas and discuss.

Aug 27, 2009 at 1:44 AM Post #2 of 34
I don't have any stats HP in my inventory but that could be handy to have an amplifier if I ever get into stats. Any BOM in existence? Just to have an idea of the cost of whole project.

I also suppose a schematic and part list is posted somewhere (HW?)

Aug 27, 2009 at 4:02 AM Post #4 of 34
I currently don't see it in the Group Buy forum but when it does I'll take at least two.

Aug 27, 2009 at 7:51 AM Post #5 of 34
I posted, but I think it needs approval before it goes up. I'm sure they're busy and will get it up as soon as they can.

There's no BOM yet - we just decided to go ahead this afternoon. Plans are to put together a BOM and I'm also going to try to source standoffs and other parts at a local shop. I can get them cheap, so we should be able to include some of the small hardware for an extra dollar or two.

I'm planning to buy three or four sets myself. It'd be handy to have a spare and there are always a few people who miss the buy and want the boards - I want as many people included as possible.

Tonight or tomorrow, I'll PM Dr. Gilmore about the board files. Then we'll take a look around and see if some rough cost estimates for the PCBs turn up. I'm also going to check around about the jacks and see if I can find a price.

Any suggestions for PCB manufacturers are welcome - I'd like to go with a manufacturer that has high quality rather than the lowest price. The BH is a terrific amp and it deserves excellent boards.

Aug 27, 2009 at 11:22 AM Post #8 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pars /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Imagineering (Imagineering Inc - Printed Circuit Boards) is who was used for the Dynalo and Dynahi board group buys, and produce high quality PCBs.

Beezar uses them for all of their boards. I believe AMB uses them, too.

Aug 27, 2009 at 1:41 PM Post #9 of 34
There's a vote of confidence if I ever heard one =]

Aug 27, 2009 at 5:31 PM Post #12 of 34
The Imagineering boards (bought from AMB and Beezar) are very nice and shiny and beautiful! Pictures of the boards make them look meh. I cry when I pour flux all over it...
frown.gif

Aug 27, 2009 at 8:08 PM Post #14 of 34
As Marc points out, some parts used in the BH are out of production and hard to find. This is the reason the BHSE exists since it uses parts in current production.

This project is also only suited for those with a lot of experience building amps since, aside from the Stax SRM-T2, this is the most complex headphone amp you can build. The boards also have some major flaws which means they may blow up in your face at power up or even 3 months down the road. You have been warned.

Aug 27, 2009 at 8:48 PM Post #15 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As Marc points out, some parts used in the BH are out of production and hard to find. This is the reason the BHSE exists since it uses parts in current production.

This project is also only suited for those with a lot of experience building amps since, aside from the Stax SRM-T2, this is the most complex headphone amp you can build. The boards also have some major flaws which means they may blow up in your face at power up or even 3 months down the road. You have been warned.

Hmmm, the Blue Hawaii Amps that were sold by Headamp didn't blow up down the road did they? I did not know that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back