Blue Announces Ella, Sadie and Satellite Headphones @ CES 2017
May 13, 2017 at 4:10 AM Post #286 of 327
nah, I gave up on beyer mids. it's always the mids or upper mids that gets a dip. It's kinda too late for beyer now since I won't be buying headphones anytime soon :tired_face::thumbsdown::fearful:

You miss out on a lot of good headphones....:)

I live in an apartment so can't disturb my neighbours too much. When I listen to speakers it's only background music.

May 26, 2017 at 3:18 PM Post #291 of 327
He is a funny guy, but he can't sing :) I just wished the Blue Ella had this design, seems to be more simple and comfortable.

Haha no he can't! But that is part of why he's funny. lol

I dunno man. akg fanboy and even a few pro reviewers are sayin' the comfort isn't so great, the ANC isn't very good, and the sound quality is not as good as expected. Though others are saying the opposite, so I'm getting a lot of mixed reviews on this! I tried the Blue Lola and found it to be quite comfortable, though it DOES NOT have an on-board amp. I expect the Ella and Sadie to be more comfortable, and the Ella I'm guessing might actually match or even outdo my AKG K551, but I just don't feel like spending $700 to find out. I'm more scared that it will and then I'll feel compelled to KEEP it than it not measuring up. lol

May 26, 2017 at 5:00 PM Post #293 of 327
Haha no he can't! But that is part of why he's funny. lol

I dunno man. akg fanboy and even a few pro reviewers are sayin' the comfort isn't so great, the ANC isn't very good, and the sound quality is not as good as expected. Though others are saying the opposite, so I'm getting a lot of mixed reviews on this! I tried the Blue Lola and found it to be quite comfortable, though it DOES NOT have an on-board amp. I expect the Ella and Sadie to be more comfortable, and the Ella I'm guessing might actually match or even outdo my AKG K551, but I just don't feel like spending $700 to find out. I'm more scared that it will and then I'll feel compelled to KEEP it than it not measuring up. lol

Dude, if you want an awesome entry into Blue Headphone land, get the MoFi for cheap right now. They get super comfy once you get the clamping pressure "right." My suggestion is make them clam with enough force that the pressure is about even with the weight on the top of the head. They have a wheel to control the tension. Also, you can adjust it for ideal bass-response/sound-response. That's my preferred method.

May 26, 2017 at 5:05 PM Post #294 of 327
Dude, if you want an awesome entry into Blue Headphone land, get the MoFi for cheap right now. They get super comfy once you get the clamping pressure "right." My suggestion is make them clam with enough force that the pressure is about even with the weight on the top of the head. They have a wheel to control the tension. Also, you can adjust it for ideal bass-response/sound-response. That's my preferred method.

I tried the Lola, which is basically the MoFi without an amp. It was fantastic as you saw from my review, but not perfect (but dahmn close!). So I wouldn't get it for that reason. The Ella I would though. When its price comes down I MAY consider trying it out.

That's cool. Thanks for the tips Always! They made adjustments to the Sadie and Ella (less hinges etc) to make it even more comfortable, so I don't think it will be an issue on the Ella if and when I get it. lol

May 27, 2017 at 12:23 AM Post #295 of 327
The satellite is terrible, the mofi or lola is better for value if you have to go with blue but imo still not the greatest choice pool. It didn't sound better wired either, by paying more, you're not getting an upgrade in sound quality; it's a premium for wireless. The satellite is only great for those who have not tried high quality headphones let alone great wireless, but anyone who isn't easily satisfied like how most reviewers are these days and actually critique them for performance and value (and has experience with many good headphones) will be disappointed, you're better off with a beyer 770 series if you want isolation, ANC on the blue is a joke and those "secondary set of dedicated ANC 30mm drivers" are literally just for marketing purposes, I should have figured that if a company like bose that is renowned for the best ANC didn't do it, it must have been for a reason. Don't get me wrong, bose headphones are terrible for sound but one thing they do get right is comfort (a lot lighter), good battery life, and ANC which they have a giant R&D pool for. Blue just kinda used their microphone brand name to market it as superior when it really isn't

Comfort is terrible but not the worst I've experienced, the only headphone that doesn't hurt the top of my head and isn't an adjustable akg style headband is the hd800 and hifiman edition s which both share a similar headband design where the outer sides of the headband cushion is larger than the middle which in return makes the weight distribution much more even and not just on the top of your head. That is the same reason why I found even the beyer t1 flagship uncomfortable, but the satellite has a HARD headband without any kind of foam, the other blue headphones at least look like they got a soft padded memory foam headband which the satellite is completely lacking. The traditional high clamp and heavy weight of blue headphones doesn't help either.
Capture.PNG

Can't judge the ella but I don't have the highest of hopes, planar isn't anything magical, the recent rise of planar has to do more with marketing than actual performance, they have been around long before dynamics. And from my experience with their other headphones, the price they charge is not proportional to performance and more associated with brand name and mainstream market competition

Last edited:
May 27, 2017 at 8:56 AM Post #296 of 327
The satellite is terrible, the mofi or lola is better for value if you have to go with blue but imo still not the greatest choice pool. It didn't sound better wired either, by paying more, you're not getting an upgrade in sound quality; it's a premium for wireless. The satellite is only great for those who have not tried high quality headphones let alone great wireless, but anyone who isn't easily satisfied like how most reviewers are these days and actually critique them for performance and value (and has experience with many good headphones) will be disappointed, you're better off with a beyer 770 series if you want isolation, ANC on the blue is a joke and those "secondary set of dedicated ANC 30mm drivers" are literally just for marketing purposes, I should have figured that if a company like bose that is renowned for the best ANC didn't do it, it must have been for a reason. Don't get me wrong, bose headphones are terrible for sound but one thing they do get right is comfort (a lot lighter), good battery life, and ANC which they have a giant R&D pool for. Blue just kinda used their microphone brand name to market it as superior when it really isn't

Comfort is terrible but not the worst I've experienced, the only headphone that doesn't hurt the top of my head and isn't an adjustable akg style headband is the hd800 and hifiman edition s which both share a similar headband design where the outer sides of the headband cushion is larger than the middle which in return makes the weight distribution much more even and not just on the top of your head. That is the same reason why I found even the beyer t1 flagship uncomfortable, but the satellite has a HARD headband without any kind of foam, the other blue headphones at least look like they got a soft padded memory foam headband which the satellite is completely lacking. The traditional high clamp and heavy weight of blue headphones doesn't help either.

Can't judge the ella but I don't have the highest of hopes, planar isn't anything magical, the recent rise of planar has to do more with marketing than actual performance, they have been around long before dynamics. And from my experience with their other headphones, the price they charge is not proportional to performance and more associated with brand name and mainstream market competition

Thanks for all your impressions and updates. Unfortunately I think I agree with most of it. :)

I had the Blue Ella and really liked the signature and sound, warm and natural with enough details. But not the comfort. Too heavy and too much pressure on the top of my head. I thought the Satelitte would be better, but apparently not, is does have a different design though.

Anyway I won't be buying it. I am generally not so much for Bluetooth, the quality is not good enough, but of course I have not heard all of them. Maybe there are some out there.

At the moment I use my U12(iem) and B&W P7 as portable. Both have quality bass and an reasonable amount of detail and clarity. I don't consider myself basshead but can't live without a certain amount of bass :). I have tried to many neutral headphones, sold them all again or send them back.

Jun 14, 2017 at 1:15 AM Post #298 of 327
Jun 14, 2017 at 2:46 AM Post #299 of 327
Posted a review of the Ella up on the other blog In current writing on - got those who are interested, the link is below:

https://audioprimate.blog/2017/06/1...new-first-lady-of-planar-magnetic-headphones/

As always, any feedback/questions/suggestions always very much appreciated.

Very detailed and very well written review, thanks :) They are a very nice pair of closed-back headphones I just wished they would change the design, they are not the most comfortable headphones!

You compare them to the nighthawk, a semi open headphone. Isn't it a little bit unfair or are they just that good that they can compete with open headphones in the 500-600 usd range ?

Jun 14, 2017 at 3:05 AM Post #300 of 327
Very detailed and very well written review, thanks :) They are a very nice pair of closed-back headphones I just wished they would change the design, they are not the most comfortable headphones!

You compare them to the nighthawk, a semi open headphone. Isn't it a little bit unfair or are they just that good that they can compete with open headphones in the 500-600 usd range ?

The NH comparison was based on the sonic similarities - being semi-open, the soundstage isn't that huge on the NH, and the Ella are pretty spacious for a closed back. Also, the Ella are actually about $200 more expensive at current street prices, so thought it was a fair comparison. I'm much more of an IEM guy, so I only have a small collection of over ears to compare with at any given time, but hope the comparison helped put the review in context a bit?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back