Blu-ray movie discussion thread (pics added - page 1 & 7)
Jun 27, 2009 at 3:42 PM Post #46 of 161
isn't it usually best to calibrate with the ambient lighting at the levels you would have during normal viewing?

of course i also eyeballed my calibration using a DVD i can't afford to buy any equipment or have some guy come in and do it for me

Jun 27, 2009 at 5:10 PM Post #47 of 161
Yes, but many people watch TV in daylight and night time so which do you calibrate for?
Two totally different kinds of light that affect the image on the screen greatly. I keep my room dim at all times because bright daylight annoys me for some reason so is not such an issue.

I don't know how these TV hardware calibration devices work exactly so am just guessing but if it is anything like we used in printing then ambient light doesn't matter as it is reading the density of the value directly so is not affected by ambient light. I would think TV calibration hardware probably works in a similar manner by reading the light passing through the screen to the measuring device so again it doesn't take ambient light into account.

Jun 28, 2009 at 9:00 AM Post #48 of 161
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkweg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, but many people watch TV in daylight and night time so which do you calibrate for?
Two totally different kinds of light that affect the image on the screen greatly. I keep my room dim at all times because bright daylight annoys me for some reason so is not such an issue.

I don't know how these TV hardware calibration devices work exactly so am just guessing but if it is anything like we used in printing then ambient light doesn't matter as it is reading the density of the value directly so is not affected by ambient light. I would think TV calibration hardware probably works in a similar manner by reading the light passing through the screen to the measuring device so again it doesn't take ambient light into account.

The tv needs to be calibrated for both. I always watch in pitch black darkness as I use a projector so this doesn't affect me. The major thing to remember with video there is a standard which inables the screens 'presentation' to be right or wrong (most after an ISF calibration are around 99% accurate). Hence with audio when one argues how accurate there recording is, you can't really measure it, with video, you can (though it is time consuming, hence why ISF calibrations are quite expensive). Also if anyone does get an ISF calibration, make sure your tv can be calibrated in such a way (some can't), and that the person is a certified ISF calibrator.

Jun 29, 2009 at 2:19 AM Post #49 of 161
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkweg /img/forum/go_quote.gif

i have yet to run into a recent TV that doesn't have more than one user configurable preset

Jun 29, 2009 at 6:02 AM Post #50 of 161
I'm using settings from a coupe of the pros over at avsforums that have measured the Pany 850 with ISF calibration gear. It's not perfect bcause obviously every room has different ligt but until I hit 1000 hours on my display I do not want to invest in having an ISF tech come out to do it right. And yes I do use different settings for bluray, daytime, gaming, and nighttime.

necropimp - What size is your screen and what kind of projector are you using?

Jun 29, 2009 at 6:10 AM Post #51 of 161
Hmmm....I watch my blu-rays on a calibrated NEC 20WMGX2 S-IPS computer monitor. Not optimal, but all I've got ATM. And they still look waaaaay better than DVD's. And let's not even talk about how much better they sound!
biggrin.gif

Jun 29, 2009 at 6:23 AM Post #52 of 161
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmmm....I watch my blu-rays on a calibrated NEC 20WMGX2 S-IPS computer monitor. Not optimal, but all I've got ATM. And they still look waaaaay better than DVD's. And let's not even talk about how much better they sound!
biggrin.gif

Oh man, I have become such a bluray snob... I can hardly stand to watch peasant discs anymore but they make great coasters. I keed I keed!
blink.gif
As far as audio goes, obviously for any headfier that would be a noticeable upgrade from dvd but even when I switch back and forth the between the core dts or dd track and the lossless track for someone they are impressed. It's really the only way to watch movies at home for me, I just get so much more out og the experience. I even buy titles that I may not have purchased simply for the PQ or AQ... it makes me like the movie more
tongue.gif

Jun 29, 2009 at 4:23 PM Post #53 of 161
Quote:

Originally Posted by wakeride74 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
necropimp - What size is your screen and what kind of projector are you using?

i don't use a projector... i have a Sony KV-40XBR800

Jun 29, 2009 at 5:46 PM Post #54 of 161
Quote:

Originally Posted by necropimp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i don't use a projector... i have a Sony KV-40XBR800

Sorry about that, that was supposed to be directed towards Suntory_Times.

Suntory_Times - What size screen are you viewing on and what projector are you using?

Jul 3, 2009 at 6:30 AM Post #55 of 161
Just finished Defiance, I thought the PQ was fairly solid. Some slight depth limitations but they were very minor, film grain was well preserved and added to the gritty tone of the film. The color palette consits of mostly earth tones but also demonstrates some fairly impressive black levels with discernible shadow delineation. AQ was decent, dialogue was clear consistent with no need to adjust for any soft spoken scenes. There were a few select scenes with some pleasing aural demonstrations and some decent LFE but overall it was nothing to write home about.

The movie itself was decent... it got a little slow in the begining of the third act and there really wasn't a performance that was overly impressive but none that felt off the mark either. Moral of the story - worth a rent but not a buy IMO.

Jul 3, 2009 at 9:32 AM Post #56 of 161
Quote:

Originally Posted by wakeride74 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry about that, that was supposed to be directed towards Suntory_Times.

Suntory_Times - What size screen are you viewing on and what projector are you using?

I only use a budget 1080p projector, the Epson EH TW-3000 (i'm currently at uni so it budget 1080p it is). My screen size is 110", though i'm looking at moving from 16:9 to a 2:35:1 "constant hieght" set-up.

Jul 3, 2009 at 11:17 PM Post #57 of 161
The pictures make me want to see the Fall.

Well I invested in my bluray system just some month ago... And oboy what a lift. I only have a 32" hd ready tv but I have a theory the image would be unnaturally sharp on a 1080p monitor for everthing except for animated movies of course.

But as for movies rated on image/sound quality

Patriot: amazing photo, superb sound
Apocalypto: the same
King Kong: Way to long but still a reference movie
black hawk down: to much digital noise but surely will make your surround system work.
Perfect Storm: Perfect movie to showcase your sound system
300: nice photo but a bit much grain here too that ruins some. Sound could be better though
Rush: snakes and arrow, Queen: Nice to see concerts in widescreen and not in ****ty quality. Not used to that but they seem to have more pride on what they release on bluray discs. Even if it´s 1080i. Sound is spectacular though as always with live recordings you here the distortion and other issues more clear as well.
Batman Begins: Superb image quality on dvd so not that big of a jump to bluray. Watched it to many times to be excited about it thus but still a good reference.
Hellboy II. Pretty amazing movie really superb fun.

Have some 15 more movies to watch in the future when I find some spare time. But just don´t believe those that say that there isn´t much difference unless you have a 50" monitor minimum... Huge difference in depth and sharpness even on a 32". Makes it more fun to revisit old classics.

Can´t wait for gladiator or lord of the rings that will be epic!
A new World is not announced but it´s on the very top of my list as well. Such a beautiful movie.

Jul 4, 2009 at 3:36 AM Post #58 of 161
^ Batman Begins is far from reference material on blu in terms of PQ. It is heavily compressed (as it was taken straight from the hddvd release) and is very soft. Which would be fine if it was filmed that way (eg: Da Vinci Code), it however was not shot in such a way and early blu ray demo discs had fotage of Batman Begins that was much better then what we have on blu ray (i'm hoping for a re-release with the inevetable third batman film). That bieng said, overall the PQ of Batman Begins is better then the non imax TDK scenes.

I'd also note that 300 was shot at an ISO of 500 and they ended up with more grain then they expected, as a result the director decidded to use some DNR to get it to the level he wanted it at (which is replicated on the blu ray).

I can't fault you on Apocalypto or King Kong, they are by far some of the most stunning blu's I have seen.
beerchug.gif
Another film I didn't expect to look so gorgeous on blu (due to how it was shot and what the hddvd version looked like) was Serenity, which bosts reference audio, video and solid special features.

Serenity Mini-Review:

Movie: 5/5
PQ: 5/5
AQ:5/5
Special Features: 4/5
Overall: 5/5
From the endearing characters to the tightly written plot and perfectly placed humour this film doesn't dissapoint in any area and is something that must be seen by any fan of film. Unlike the HDDVD video transfer the video here is reference as is the audio. The entertaining special features (of which the stand out is a 'hill-arious' blopper real) are also almost as good as we have seen. I strongly recommend a purchase to anyone who has been hesitant due to the relativly unknown cast and lack of box-office success. This is a blu that every film fan should at the very least see.

You don't mess with the Zohan Mini-Review:
Movie: 1.5/5
PQ: 3/5
AQ:3/5
Special Features: 4/5
Overall: 5/5
This movie is a train wreck and doesn't seem to know what to do with itself. To compensate it tries to have non stop gags throughout the entire film that rarely work on any level, and when they do are generally repeated to the point of diminishing the small original humorous moment. On the good side the transfer is solid and the extras whilst abundant are merely descent, this however is not enough to save this blu and make up for the poor film. If you haven't seen this film I strongly recomend giving it a rent first. However fans of the film will likely not be dissapointed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by oqvist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can´t wait for gladiator or lord of the rings that will be epic!

I think i'll have a mega three lord of the rings in one day marathon once they are released.
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 4, 2009 at 5:13 AM Post #59 of 161
Serenity was great, I'd never seen it before a couple months ago but was impressed with it. LOTR I will rent and wait for the EE... I don't find a great deal of value in the EE of the first two but the third has some important scenes that were left out of the TE imo.

I'm watching The Curious Case of Benjamin Button right now and so far I would rate this near reference quality in PQ and AQ.

oqvist - The Fall has some impressive PQ, you should also add I'Robot and Incredibe Hulk to your list of impressive transfers to see.

Jul 4, 2009 at 10:57 AM Post #60 of 161
How did I forget. Rattatouille. Now animated look bloody damn HD on DVD format as well but it´s perfect on bluray. Makes you hungry
biggrin.gif

As for batman begins well it explains why I didn´t see that much difference then. I don´t know if anything beats batman begins on DVD... Perhaps king kong again lol.

Serenity I thought was okay will have to watch it again. I got the firefly on DVD but haven´t watched it. I tend to collect more movies then I have time to watch...

Oh and also Planet Earth... Of course the image quality per see is not reference but it compensates by the photo and the scenes being like made for it.
Shark water is pretty amazing as well.
Would like Blue Planet in HD as well
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back