1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Blu-Ray Audio: The latest gimmick?

Discussion in 'Sound Science' started by proton007, Oct 9, 2013.
First

Back
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Next

Last
  1. amirm
    I have never heard of such a rule. How many such titles have you verified?

A counterexample is the Adele album, live at Royal Albert Hall. The CD sounds horrible. The blu-ray soundtrack of the live album is definitely superior. And they came in the same package when I purchased them.

RockStar2005 likes this.
  2. RockStar2005
    Yeah so prob one of the ones mentioned here besides Foobar then?

3. RockStar2005
    Yeah it's probably not true now that you mention it that way. Like if a band releases a remaster on mp3, CD, and Hi-Res on the same day, I wouldn't expect them to sound the same for sure, though it's definitely possible IF the same master was used. Though as a counterpoint, I bought this Hybrid SACD and was told by the studio themselves that the same master was used on both the SACD and CD layers.

What sux is unless the studio tells you, or you analyze it with special software, it's very difficult to determine this just by listening. And even if you do, then you gotta spend triple the time (mp3, CD, Hi-Res)! lol

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
  4. bigshot
    The Doors and Fleetwood Mac sets I recently got have equivalent sound quality. All the Steven Wilson mixes are just as good on CD and DVD. They are the exact same 2 channel mixes. I can see why a redbook layer on an SACD would be hobbled to make the SACD layer sound better, but I don't see why they would hobble a recording on a totally different format in the same package. I'll let you know when my Led Zeppelin How the West was Won set is released.

You look at the package and you can tell. Something released for a pop market is more apt to have a difference than a "super deluxe" package designed for more discerning listeners. Blu-ray audio is aimed primarily at discerning listeners. The CD is just there to give you something to rip. There's no motivation to make it deliberately inferior.

RockStar2005 likes this.
  5. RockStar2005
    Nice. Yeah maybe sometimes the Redbook layer on a Hybrid SACD gets hobbled on purpose, and if so, then I guess I got lucky in that I really didn't have any desire to spend money on an SACD player. lol I've only bought a few of those anyway.

Which exact set did you order for West? What's included??

6. bigshot
    It looks like a good set. I hate the sound quality of a lot of the Led Zeppelin CD releases. I'm hoping this one is better.
    http://amzn.to/2Gd9VND

By the way, I think they pulled a switcheroo on me. When I first preordered this over a month ago, it was a blu-ray/CD set. Now it is just blu-ray. I don't care because I can rip blu-ray, but that is pretty sneaky.

The only reason to buy SACD is for multichannel. Blu-ray is the same.

Glmoneydawg and RockStar2005 like this.
  7. RockStar2005
    Ok so you're getting JUST the Blu-Ray audio CD then? I thought you were getting like a set with different versions.

It's lame that the Blu-Ray audio CD is only available as a standalone. None of the various pricier sets they're offering include it.

8. bigshot
    It looks like they tricked me on the preorder. I swear there were CDs in the set when I ordered it. After I preordered it, it disappeared from Amazon and came back a couple of weeks later at a higher price. It looks like they changed the specs on the set.

RockStar2005 likes this.
  9. RockStar2005
    Wow that's BS! So they took out the CDs then repriced it to a higher amount??

10. Glmoneydawg
    the zep remasters seem to have exagerated the distortion present on the original recordings..i have all of the remasters but much prefer my old cd copies

RockStar2005 likes this.
  11. bigshot
    I had it on preorder at a really low price, and it's dropped even further since then, so the Amazon preorder price guarantee helps in this case.

I have the original LZ LPs. They had a tremendous kick to the sound. Dynamic punch. When you listened to it, it sounded loud even at normal volume. The CDs all sound tame in comparison.

RockStar2005 and Glmoneydawg like this.
  12. Glmoneydawg
    was gonna mention the records but figured i would get flamed lol

RockStar2005 likes this.
  13. RockStar2005
    Interesting. I only compared the Hi-Res remasters to my mp3s and def heard a difference in favor of the remasters. Never compared to the CDs. I guess no medium is ever 100% superior. lol I'm very happy with my Hi-Res ones though.

14. RockStar2005
    Oh ok. But still, why did they take the CDs out? Would've been nice if you could've compared them to the Blu-Ray audio. Oh well. lol

Hmm ok. I would like to one day hear them on vinyl as well, just for kicks. lol

My fav version of vinyl is digital vinyl, when you put it through a filter to remove the scratch noises. I got a FANTASTIC 24-bit "Toshiba Red Vinyl" Special Edition of George Harrison's "All Things Must Pass" that was done pre-Dani Harrison's (his son) 2015 Hi-Res remaster, which from user reviews I've read sounds more compressed than the one before it, which now is very hard to find. But the version I obtained was filtered from vinyl and sounds INCREDIBLE compared to the mp3s I had before. Much more warmth.

But I also got an "unfiltered" vinyl version of Alice in Chain's 2009 "Back Gives Way To Blue" album, or some cuts from it. The song "Your Decision" on there sounds incredible. The record scratches, which you can only hear at the very beginning and end when it's really quiet, actually make it sound cooler IMO cuz it's kind of a dark quieter acoustic song. So I guess there's exceptions to everything! lol

15. RockStar2005
    Just pre-ordered the West blu-ray audio CD as well. But I will wait to see how it goes for you with the conversion before I do anything. lol

So, let's say I ALSO wanted to keep a copy of the 5.1 tracks on my phone to play when I'm in my car. Would 5.1 even work in my car? Would it sound better than the downmixed stereo version?

First

Back
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Next

Last