Blon in ear monitors impressions thread
May 6, 2021 at 6:09 PM Post #5,656 of 6,129
After more listening to the Blon mini, I really like them. They sound very much like the 03 to my ears, slight sub bass roll off, tasteful highs, not too over done, pretty much my preferred tuning, although I haven't A/B them. Treble is slightly less than the kbear ks1 and is less fatiguing, also slightly less bass, similar levels of detail separation etc on all 3, that is OK, not brilliant but pretty good. They have very nice timbre like the 03 and 01.

Isolation is slightly above average, but not world beating, not as good as my kbear kb10 pure ba set, those form a vacuum in my ear canals, but I dislike the tuning on them. I've tried the standard cable and a trn BT20 non s, and I can't hear any differences. I like these headphones because I can listen to them at lower levels, and the v shaped tuning acts as an old school loudness switch. I'm tempted to buy a spare pair.

May 7, 2021 at 11:58 AM Post #5,657 of 6,129
I find them to be exceptional in the isolation dept. @Sebulr. I thought so out of the box but when I swapped out the original for the larger tips, even more so (the Spinfit-like "Blonfit" tips are kinda awesome, btw). It creates that vacuum for me almost instantly and better than any other IEM I have. For me the fit is it's best attribute. They sound fantastic, don't get me wrong, but they block out all outside noise for me. I wore them walking into work today and part of that is an alley that often feels like a wind tunnel. I didn't hear a whisper of wind. I actually stopped walking for a minute because it was so cool. The sound is very much like the BL03; which for me is great because I LOVE my BL03. I'll A/B this weekend, but for now I'm fully enjoying the fun, warm, BLON sound and marvel at how darn comfortable these things are for me!

Attachments

• BLM.jpg
    BLM.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
May 7, 2021 at 12:13 PM Post #5,658 of 6,129
Flip tip is a mod you turn them inside out and use them. It works very well Blon tips. It is mod which was created by @Slater use the hakuzen method, it is instant and super interesting. https://www.head-fi.org/threads/flip-tips-or-fliptips-prepare-to-have-your-mind-blown.906357/

This mod took me from almost tossing the BL03 into a drawer to not taking them out of my ears for the last year. If you have fit problems with the BL03, try this mod. I did a whole batch of KZ Starlines and threw a pair in with every iem I own with that size nozzle. I honestly haven't tried any of them though, because it made the BL03 such a perfect 'phone for me I haven't wanted to use anything else. Interestingly enough, I had a pair ready to go for the BL-Mini but the "Blonfit" tips are shockingly effective. I'm sure that's partially due to the deeper insertion needed for the Mini.

Last edited:
May 10, 2021 at 4:31 PM Post #5,659 of 6,129
Blon Mini just arrived. Have the 03 w/balanced cable (for use with the qudelix F5 or the ES100 DACs). Guess I will run the Mini for 24 hours or so on my desktop and see what happens. I have pretty much moved to TW in-ears these days. My only wired IEMs are the 03, the Ety ER4XR (grabbed them during the amazing Adorama $129 sale) and now the Mini. Got rid of the rest for the most part. I liked the 03 so much decided to give the Mini a go, at that price. So looking forward to trying them out.

Last edited:
May 10, 2021 at 4:37 PM Post #5,660 of 6,129
Anyone have opinions regarding this new Blon bl05s 3rd revision?

Very interesting opinions from Zeos !

May 12, 2021 at 11:09 AM Post #5,665 of 6,129
Did you saw that custom “rounded” 2Pin connection? Same as in the case of New OperaFactory OS1 (Whizzer). I’m curious 2.5mm or Pentaconn 4.4mm balanced cable will be available or won’t.
I have a spare couple of spare two pin 4.4mm's. I always tip roll (usually Spiral Dots) and cable roll. Have you seen a site selling the Prometheus yet?

Last edited:
May 12, 2021 at 5:15 PM Post #5,666 of 6,129
Am I missing out big time for skipping the BL03?

On local online shops, it still costs almost twice than what I paid for the BL01. I don't have issues with fit on the 01 and defo prefer how it sounds compared to my only other pair, a KZ ZST X. I have to admit tho, my normal listening volume on the KZ is just around 60% while with the 01, it's almost at max. Trying to remedy it with a USB DAC for my phone which is now on it's way.

May 12, 2021 at 8:12 PM Post #5,667 of 6,129
Am I missing out big time for skipping the BL03?

On local online shops, it still costs almost twice than what I paid for the BL01. I don't have issues with fit on the 01 and defo prefer how it sounds compared to my only other pair, a KZ ZST X. I have to admit tho, my normal listening volume on the KZ is just around 60% while with the 01, it's almost at max. Trying to remedy it with a USB DAC for my phone which is now on it's way.

If u have the BL-01, they are not exactly the same tuning, but the BL-01 is a marginal upgrade over the BL-03 in terms of technicalities and bass tightness.

I would regard the BL-03 as a generational milestone CHIFI IEM, as it brought great timbre and tonality to the table in 2019. Back then, a lot of budget CHIFI focused on a driver nuclear race and also getting outright technical performance, but some of these multi driver sets had coherency, timbral and tonality issues. So maybe BL-03 is a sort of baptism IEM that all entrants to the hobby should try, it also makes a good comparison IEM when someone asks for A/B comparisons against other new CHIFI releases. I think in 2021 the BL-03 is still a good set for those that appreciate timbre and tonality, it is very good for slower genres.

On the flip side, I see a lot of folks claiming the BL-03 is a giant killer, but for me the BL-03 is not perfect, it has a bloated midbass, below average technicalities, and the biggest issue is the fit. The nozzle is too short so a lot of folks need to purchase aftermarket longer nozzle eartips or do mods to get a good fit. And this adds to costs.

As for the BL-01, it is quite hard to drive as per your post above. It really scales much better with amping. The BL-03 isn't as hard to drive, but does benefit from amping.
Amping is not about absolute volume, if that were the case, we can just plug in some planar gear to a low powered smartphone (non LGV) and just max the volume. It is just that without amping, some harder to drive IEMs lose dynamics, soundstage, microdetails.

May 12, 2021 at 8:35 PM Post #5,668 of 6,129
I find them to be exceptional in the isolation dept. @Sebulr. I thought so out of the box but when I swapped out the original for the larger tips, even more so (the Spinfit-like "Blonfit" tips are kinda awesome, btw). It creates that vacuum for me almost instantly and better than any other IEM I have. For me the fit is it's best attribute. They sound fantastic, don't get me wrong, but they block out all outside noise for me. I wore them walking into work today and part of that is an alley that often feels like a wind tunnel. I didn't hear a whisper of wind. I actually stopped walking for a minute because it was so cool. The sound is very much like the BL03; which for me is great because I LOVE my BL03. I'll A/B this weekend, but for now I'm fully enjoying the fun, warm, BLON sound and marvel at how darn comfortable these things are for me!
Same here re isolation. With a larger tip, they are pretty much blocking out all sound, can't hear my typing, nor the TV on downstairs. Agree, similar to the BL03, but the form factor is light years better once you get them cabled up and on your ears. These are comfort beasts. Have them connected to the Earstudio ES100, no EQ. Listening to Amazon Music HD, simply an amazing sound for $30.23. Just nuts. If they are durable, they are just fantastic. I don't have much experience with the other low cost brands (Trayna, QCY) but these are a much better combo of comfort and sound. I know, those brands are TW. But I have sampled some older Sony budget-fi in-ears like MH755, MH750, MH1C) and others in the past. Hard to believe what Blon delivers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back