Blon in ear monitors impressions thread
Apr 25, 2021 at 2:33 PM Post #5,581 of 6,129
TFZ/NX7 pin has a recess, it's the perfect shape for the task in hand but... The pins are too long so it still sits slightly proud. Although by half the amount the other ones do.
Can we can cut it with a pliers ?

Apr 25, 2021 at 2:41 PM Post #5,582 of 6,129
Can we can cut it with a pliers ?

You know, I keep looking at my overly long pin arrangement, and my pliers, and my overly long pin arrangement, and my pliers.

I can't see any reason why it wouldn't work, but I'm loathe to try it just in case.

Edit - no. Doesnt work. The recess in the plug isn't deep enough. Oh well.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2021 at 11:52 PM Post #5,583 of 6,129
I’ve been lurking 10 years since I last posted on head-fi, happy with my flavor of the month at the time, and coming back it’s overwhelming with all the new stuff, especially chi-fi. I’ve read every post I could and picked up the BL-03, which are described elsewhere as “incredibly musical…typical [of] way higher end gear” and a “great sounding IEM with atrocious fit.

That last bit is true because after another $40 in cables and over $50 of foam and silicone, I can now teach a crash course in how to stuff your ears. These are amazing even factoring total costs. The eye opener is the sub-bass that I’ve only felt on incredibly expensive setups. Nowadays there seems to be a slew of chi-EMs that can excel for so little money, BL-03 might not seem special anymore. Who knows, I might be down the rabbit hole again, chasing those bits of sonic quality with cross-referenced database reviews. For now though, it might be another 10 years.

BL-03.jpg

Apr 26, 2021 at 12:35 AM Post #5,584 of 6,129
I’ve been lurking 10 years since I last posted on head-fi, happy with my flavor of the month at the time, and coming back it’s overwhelming with all the new stuff, especially chi-fi. I’ve read every post I could and picked up the BL-03, which are described elsewhere as “incredibly musical…typical [of] way higher end gear” and a “great sounding IEM with atrocious fit.

That last bit is true because after another $40 in cables and over $50 of foam and silicone, I can now teach a crash course in how to stuff your ears. These are amazing even factoring total costs. The eye opener is the sub-bass that I’ve only felt on incredibly expensive setups. Nowadays there seems to be a slew of chi-EMs that can excel for so little money, BL-03 might not seem special anymore. Who knows, I might be down the rabbit hole again, chasing those bits of sonic quality with cross-referenced database reviews. For now though, it might be another 10 years.

BL-03.jpg
whats the difference between azla sedna light vs nonlight?

Apr 26, 2021 at 12:43 AM Post #5,585 of 6,129
I put the BL-05S and Focal Utopia through a real-test tonight.

tl:dr - I previously mentioned the 05S was a bit flat in comparison, and that is still true and I expand on that. The 05S trades accuracy for a touch more vivid, engaging sound, yet is still alive/real feeling. Incredible value (even after customizing your ride with a deluxe 16-core uber-Litz cable upgrade and new tips). I have a new affection for Jade Green.

In addition to an assortment of instrumental hiphop, electronic (Lycoriscoris), psychedelic rock (Circulatory System), ambient, the main piece of comparison was
Khatia Buniatishvili Sergei Rachmaninoff piano concertos Nos 2 & 3 with Paavo Järvi / recorded with the Czech Philharmonic Orchestra, at Rudolfinum, Dvorak Hall, Prague.

This is a fantastic recording and true test for any headphone. Piano is among the most challenging instruments to record - and reproduce - in audio. Khatia's performance is intense in its precision and expression. The dimensional acoustics of the Dvorak Hall is everpresent.

The BL-05S is definitely the real deal. On the merits of frequency response and tuning the BL-05S is truly among the top in terms of presentation. The tuning on it's own is an achievement.

The BL-05S is uniformly strong in its flexibility across many genres. I would say covering even more ground than the Utopia in part due to the Focals bass roll off. The 05S can be more enjoyable on pieces where bass is formative.

The primary difference is that the Utopia, is both drier, yet more faithful to the recording and timbre of the instruments, and brings with it a larger dynamic range, transparency, headroom, and dimensionality. The physical characteristic of each also factor in (i.e. larger driver and enclosure on the Utopia., etc). The 05S is still very vivid, and its presence combined with its low end is engaging overall. The Utopia is also less fatiguing - the sound is completely transparent, even when you turn the Utopia up to get more of an impact. Add a bit of EQ to the Utopia's low end or add a SubPac and it is essentially perfect.

However, there are aspects to the 05S, that are entirely unique. In part, it is the IEM world, the slightly boxed in yet cavernous feeling, the real reverberation from its more sealed enclosure. You can easily sink into anything with this IEM. The right tips and fit are so so important with any iem, and true in this case. I'm going to invest in better because like @gshb mentioned for another BLON
These are amazing even factoring total costs

If I could tell myself what headphone to start with in the audio journey it wouldn't be the HD650 - it would be the Blon BL-05S. I have a feeling, as others have also stated, that there is something about the 05S that will keep bringing them back, even over their other headphones.

For your Driams.

Apr 26, 2021 at 1:15 AM Post #5,587 of 6,129
I put the BL-05S and Focal Utopia through a real-test tonight.

tl:dr - I previously mentioned the 05S was a bit flat in comparison, and that is still true and I expand on that. The 05S trades accuracy for a touch more vivid, engaging sound, yet is still alive/real feeling. Incredible value (even after customizing your ride with a deluxe 16-core uber-Litz cable upgrade and new tips). I have a new affection for Jade Green.

In addition to an assortment of instrumental hiphop, electronic (Lycoriscoris), psychedelic rock (Circulatory System), ambient, the main piece of comparison was
Khatia Buniatishvili Sergei Rachmaninoff piano concertos Nos 2 & 3 with Paavo Järvi / recorded with the Czech Philharmonic Orchestra, at Rudolfinum, Dvorak Hall, Prague.

This is a fantastic recording and true test for any headphone. Piano is among the most challenging instruments to record - and reproduce - in audio. Khatia's performance is intense in its precision and expression. The dimensional acoustics of the Dvorak Hall is everpresent.

The BL-05S is definitely the real deal. On the merits of frequency response and tuning the BL-05S is truly among the top in terms of presentation. The tuning on it's own is an achievement.

The BL-05S is uniformly strong in its flexibility across many genres. I would say covering even more ground than the Utopia in part due to the Focals bass roll off. The 05S can be more enjoyable on pieces where bass is formative.

The primary difference is that the Utopia, is both drier, yet more faithful to the recording and timbre of the instruments, and brings with it a larger dynamic range, transparency, headroom, and dimensionality. The physical characteristic of each also factor in (i.e. larger driver and enclosure on the Utopia., etc). The 05S is still very vivid, and its presence combined with its low end is engaging overall. The Utopia is also less fatiguing - the sound is completely transparent, even when you turn the Utopia up to get more of an impact. Add a bit of EQ to the Utopia's low end or add a SubPac and it is essentially perfect.

However, there are aspects to the 05S, that are entirely unique. In part, it is the IEM world, the slightly boxed in yet cavernous feeling, the real reverberation from its more sealed enclosure. You can easily sink into anything with this IEM. The right tips and fit are so so important with any iem, and true in this case. I'm going to invest in better because like @gshb mentioned for another BLON

If I could tell myself what headphone to start with in the audio journey it wouldn't be the HD650 - it would be the Blon BL-05S. I have a feeling, as others have also stated, that there is something about the 05S that will keep bringing them back, even over their other headphones.

For your Driams.

Come on! I'm really trying hard not to buy the BLON BL05s because of that mint-green color, but you are persuading me to get them! I already own the "best of the best", but you are torturing me and basically I am becoming hooked on getting them. Now, you got me talking to myself...just one more, just one more!!! :joy:

Apr 26, 2021 at 9:35 AM Post #5,589 of 6,129
How do the BL-01 compare to bl05s

BLON BL-05S is more U shaped than the V shaped BLON BL-01, so it isn't as depressed in the mids as the BL-01. BL-01 has more bass quantities. Both sets need amping to shine better, but the BL-01 much more so. In terms of tonality, the BL-05S is better IMO.

BLON BL-05S also has the best technicalities of the BLON IEMs. In terms of microdetails, instrument separation, soundstage, imaging.

Fit and isolation are worse on the BL-01 for me. Shell is of course a garish green colour in the BL-05S, which can be a dealbreaker for some.

So all in all, BL-05S is an upgrade over the BL-01, but we are talking about different price brackets.

Apr 26, 2021 at 11:21 AM Post #5,590 of 6,129
Right now I am new to the in ear monitor world. My first purchase was the blonde bl-01 and then I discovered the MoonDrop aria which I am using as well.

I guess am wondering what would be a better complement to the moondrop? The Aria seem like they play everything nice. Would the Bl-01 or 03 be better to cover different genres? Think the 05s might be more similar to the Aria.

Apr 28, 2021 at 4:53 AM Post #5,591 of 6,129
OK, my fellow head-fier's! The BLON BL-mini is here!

I've been listening to them for several days now and they punch way over their size and weight!!! They have an immersive bass impact and it's not about to be bullied! They are overall surprisingly clear with incredible upper treble with micro-details. Amazing, for such a small size and overall good fit! I would consider them V-shape. Yes, you heard me right! These are V-shape directly competing with the likings of CCA CSN. They have nice timbre like the BL03 and can put out better details when compared to the BL01. But, note that I don't have the BL05s to compare them to, though most people that own them say that they are U-shaped while currently the BL-mini are V-shaped. So, maybe I'll just try to buy the dreaded mint-green color after all.
Enjoy my PIC's! :beerchug:

WeChat Image_20210427164839.jpgWeChat Image_20210427164736.jpgWeChat Image_20210427164659(2).jpgWeChat Image_20210427164854.jpgWeChat Image_20210427164717.jpgWeChat Image_20210427164728.jpgWeChat Image_20210427164848.jpg

-Clear

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2021 at 6:47 AM Post #5,592 of 6,129

I've been listening to them for several days now and they punch way over their size and weight!!! They have an immersive bass impact and it's not about to be bullied! They are overall surprisingly clear with incredible upper treble with micro-details. Incredibly, for such a small size and overall good fit, I would consider them V-shape. Yes, you heard me right! These are V-shape directly competing with the likings of CCA CSN. They have nice timbre like the BL03 and can put out better details when compared to the BL01. But, note that I don't have the BL05s to compare them to, though most people that own them say that they are U-shaped while currently the BL-mini are V-shaped. So, maybe I'll just try to buy the dreaded mint-green color after all.

-Clear
I just ordered mine (gun color) this moment. But it says it won't be "dispatched" till the 3rd of May (Lazada). Converted to roughly 19 USD. Maybe they don't have stock yet for the international market? Not sure as I majorly use Shopee.

Is the connector the BLON special that doesn't ideally fit 2-pin and TFZ?

Saw the FR and it's so similar to the BLON BL-01 and KB Ear KS1 from bass to midrange. The three of them differ in the treble region but still about the same.

Screenshot_2021-04-28-18-48-59-22_39060a31215a48c7aaf1fb3368fa2e89.jpg

*Also have TRN STM incoming

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2021 at 7:28 AM Post #5,593 of 6,129

I've been listening to them for several days now and they punch way over their size and weight!!! They have an immersive bass impact and it's not about to be bullied! They are overall surprisingly clear with incredible upper treble with micro-details. Incredibly, for such a small size and overall good fit, I would consider them V-shape. Yes, you heard me right! These are V-shape directly competing with the likings of CCA CSN. They have nice timbre like the BL03 and can put out better details when compared to the BL01. But, note that I don't have the BL05s to compare them to, though most people that own them say that they are U-shaped while currently the BL-mini are V-shaped. So, maybe I'll just try to buy the dreaded mint-green color after all.

WeChat Image_20210427164839.jpgWeChat Image_20210427164736.jpgWeChat Image_20210427164659(2).jpgWeChat Image_20210427164854.jpgWeChat Image_20210427164717.jpgWeChat Image_20210427164728.jpgWeChat Image_20210427164848.jpg

-Clear

Nice, how is the fit? BLON has a rep for IEMs that don't really fit well, and this one takes the cake in terms of design.

Would also be interested in a BLON BL-01 and BL-03 versus BLON MINI comparisons. Thanks in advance!

Apr 28, 2021 at 11:49 AM Post #5,594 of 6,129
I just ordered mine (gun color) this moment. But it says it won't be "dispatched" till the 3rd of May (Lazada). Converted to roughly 19 USD. Maybe they don't have stock yet for the international market?

Is the connector the BLON special that doesn't ideally fit 2-pin and TFZ?

Saw the FR and it's so similar to the BLON BL-01 and KB Ear KS1 from bass to midrange. The three of them differ in the treble region but still about the same.

Screenshot_2021-04-28-18-48-59-22_39060a31215a48c7aaf1fb3368fa2e89.jpg

*Also have TRN STM incoming
The detachable cable 2-pin connector is basically the same as the BL03 and BL01, since swapping between cable for all three BLON's was pretty much successful.:ok_hand:

-Clear

Apr 28, 2021 at 1:17 PM Post #5,595 of 6,129
According to amazon and Linsoul, my Blon mini has been despatched today. I've also ordered the new kz, trn BT20 Pro facsimile today for £21. It quotes 6 to 7 hour battery in the headset, so it's worth a try.

I only ordered the Blon mini because they look so weird, that I just have to try them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back