Blon in ear monitors impressions thread
Jan 21, 2021 at 11:36 PM Post #5,222 of 6,129
I wonder how weird the idea of putting what's essentially flagship or at least near flagship eartips on budget IEM sound to a non audiophile...
If it works then why not...

Jan 22, 2021 at 2:38 AM Post #5,223 of 6,129
I wonder how weird the idea of putting what's essentially flagship or at least near flagship eartips on budget IEM sound to a non audiophile...

My oddest iem/accesories combo is KZ EDX with TRN T2 cable and Xelastec tips. The tips and cable take the price to over 4x the cost of the IEM, but - tips, cable and iem together came to about £20 and they sound better than any £20 IEM OOTB. Stuff like the BL-01 also needs tip rolling to sound its best.

Jan 22, 2021 at 7:59 AM Post #5,224 of 6,129
My oddest iem/accesories combo is KZ EDX with TRN T2 cable and Xelastec tips. The tips and cable take the price to over 4x the cost of the IEM, but - tips, cable and iem together came to about £20 and they sound better than any £20 IEM OOTB. Stuff like the BL-01 also needs tip rolling to sound its best.
Well... As mentioned probably not too long ago I've increased bass extension of the BL-03 by about 70hz form tip rolling and a single aftermaket cable (compared to stock/unmodded). And that's just the benefit I can immediately think of, on top of also no longer being death by treble.

Suffices to say, I probably took a gamble by buying an IEM that is well known for being hard to fit... Yet I mamaged to make it pay off BIG.

Jan 22, 2021 at 4:10 PM Post #5,225 of 6,129
I've increased bass extension of the BL-03 by about 70hz form tip rolling and a single aftermaket cable (compared to stock/unmodded).

Suffices to say, I probably took a gamble by buying an IEM that is well known for being hard to fit... Yet I mamaged to make it pay off BIG.
That sounds nice, buy why not tell us what tips and cable you used to give your ears a big payoff?

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2021 at 5:41 PM Post #5,226 of 6,129
That sounds nice, buy why not tell us what tips and cable you used to give your ears a big payoff?
From 4 pages ago.
Unfortunately. These were a gift, and for all I know they are the stock tips of some unknown IEMs. That being said it may be worth paying attention to the overall shape of them as shown hereIMG_20210115_132503.jpg

Notice how it's already at its maximum radius somewhere in the middle unlike something like the Final E-type where it maximum radius is at the bottom.

I've heard also that the aforementioned AZLA Sednaearfits are also great for getting seal with shallow insertion, but I haven't bought them... Yet.

Alternatively if you still have the stock tips around. It's definitely worth trying them while flipped. Slater can explain this one better than me.

https://www.amazon.com/8809456020301-SednaEarfitLight-2-pares/dp/B083XNV359?

These are the Sednaearfit Light. The more flexible variant.

I wonder if anyone else knows about more eartips suited for shallow insertion.
Also the cable is a Tripowin Zonie, but the point is that it just isn't awful like the stock cable. Cable could be made out of aluminum for all I care.

Jan 23, 2021 at 7:44 AM Post #5,227 of 6,129
Today I applied Oratory1990 PEQ to my BL-03, but with less bass cut. Highly recommend it, it fixes the mids, makes the sound very balanced while retaining the strengths of the IEM (dynamics, timbre). The bass is more controlled and tighter, while still emphasized 👍

Edit: using PEQ on my Qudelix 5K in DAC mode, great little unit!

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2021 at 7:58 AM Post #5,228 of 6,129
Today I applied Oratory1990 PEQ to my BL-03, but with less bass cut. Highly recommend it, it fixes the mids, makes the sound very balanced while retaining the strengths of the IEM (dynamics, timbre). The bass is more controlled and tighter, while still emphasized 👍

Edit: using PEQ on my Qudelix 5K in DAC mode, great little unit!
I thought he claimed the BL-03's tolerances were too high to propose an EQ setting.

Jan 23, 2021 at 8:02 AM Post #5,229 of 6,129
Jan 23, 2021 at 8:12 AM Post #5,230 of 6,129
With wide bore eartips such as SednaEarfits standard and KZs star fliptips BL-03 sounds good enough. With other tips usually i used to PEQ with this from KopiOkaya:

Screenshot_20200517-024118~2.png

Edit: That being said, yes it depends unit variations. My BL-03 sounds nice with this PEQ.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2021 at 8:33 AM Post #5,232 of 6,129
I understand Staco's curve, in line with what I applied, but I don't get yours: to my ears and according to most measurements I have seen, the BL-03 lacks most between 3 and 6kHz and you seem to be reducing it further? Or is it the IEM FR measurement? Sorry I'm lost here 😶

Jan 23, 2021 at 2:46 PM Post #5,233 of 6,129
I understand Staco's curve, in line with what I applied, but I don't get yours: to my ears and according to most measurements I have seen, the BL-03 lacks most between 3 and 6kHz and you seem to be reducing it further? Or is it the IEM FR measurement? Sorry I'm lost here 😶
No, you're not lost, I seem to like very polite treble apparently. And I still can clearly hear it despite this.

It's based on this mainly.
D5B4E61A-0C2B-494A-A9B4-CEF39DF5E234.jpeg
0884E579-6234-40D5-8E5C-FCEEBFCF4E75.jpeg
97EF43C1-1512-4DDA-92AF-608A976A8579.png

BBA331C9-F3E2-4DC4-AF22-297E04328516.jpeg
Blonvoyance Oppoty EQ.

Jan 25, 2021 at 9:43 PM Post #5,234 of 6,129
I just got my BLON BL-01, and wow these are super impressive for the price. I'm normally a self declared treble head who chases neutrality, but these are just so darn fun. The bass felt a bit overwhelming at first with noticeable rolled treble and more shallow mids, though after some ear burn in I find myself grinning from ear to ear when listening to pop. There is no noticeable deficit when listening to pop (aside from maybe some air-ier vocals) and the bassy thump just makes everything sound alive. I did however struggle with getting a good seal due to the short nozzle (ended up using the largest included tips and some careful positioning). I would not recommend these for close listening or classical, but for casual tunes these are a fantastic.

Jan 27, 2021 at 11:47 AM Post #5,235 of 6,129
I'm hoping someone can help me out here as I'm starting to bang my head against the wall.... I received my BL-01s this afternoon and I've found them to be completely unlistenable. As an example, on Tracy Chapman's Fast Car, the acoustic guitar sounds ok but Tracy sounds like she's singing inside a fast car at the bottom of a very deep well. It also sounds as though the vocals are a split second behind the beat.

I've tried them on my macbook (3.5mm socket), fire tablet (3.5mm socket), iphone (lighting to 3.5mm connector) and also Focusrite Scarlett Solo USB I/O (the closest I have to a headphone amp - macbook to Scarlett over USB and then a 3.5mm to 1/4 inch headphone adaptor). The BL-01s sound appalling through all of them.

I've spent the last 15 years listening to Etymotic IEMs so I know the importance of a good seal but this is much, much worse than that. I've also been enjoying cheap Chinese TWS for the last couple of years (e.g SSK BT03s) and so I have a good feel for what's possible from AliExpress for c.$20. I appreciate the stock Blon cable is poor but this is 100% unlistenable.

What am I doing wrong?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back