Blon in ear monitors impressions thread
Feb 18, 2020 at 9:03 PM Post #2,584 of 6,129
Is the 05 what used to be called the 03 MK II ?

If I'm not mistaken, they are different. BLON BL-05 has DD + piezo config. BLON BL-03 Mk2 is a retuned version of the venerable BL-03 with longer nozzle (for better fit) and decreased midbass/upper mids.

Both will probably be delayed now due to the coronavirus outbreak in China.

Feb 18, 2020 at 11:47 PM Post #2,585 of 6,129
If I'm not mistaken, they are different. BLON BL-05 has DD + piezo config. BLON BL-03 Mk2 is a retuned version of the venerable BL-03 with longer nozzle (for better fit) and decreased midbass/upper mids.

Both will probably be delayed now due to the coronavirus outbreak in China.
Is the BL-05 DD still using the carbon nanotube driver? If so, that's an interesting combo considering I was looking at the **** **** and the BL-03.

Feb 19, 2020 at 12:00 AM Post #2,586 of 6,129
Is the BL-05 DD still using the carbon nanotube driver? If so, that's an interesting combo considering I was looking at the **** **** and the BL-03.

Not sure on the 05's exact specs and driver material. BGGAR and some other prominent reviewers had a prerelease set, it looked a bit too bright for me from BGGAR's vid (I'm quite treble/upper mids sensitive so YMMV), but they are still in the midst of gathering feedback and finetuning the final FR.

**** and BLON BL-03 are pretty opposite in tuning, but both would be very good entry IEMs (without breaking the bank) to see what type of sound signature u prefer:

**** - more balanced, note weight thinner, better soundstage and technicalities (instrument separation, clarity, details), very artificial timbre/tonality. Needs amping IMO as the piezos handling the treble frequencies need some juice. Without amping (low powered sources), the treble is a bit dull. Subbass extension is quite good.
BLON BL-03 - better timbre/tonality, poorer technicalities. Harmanish with a midbass bump. Much worse fit OOTB without resorting to aftermarket tips +/- cables for most westerners. **** has also a notoriously bad stock red flange tip, but it is easier to fit than BLON BL-03 IMO. The midbass quantity is larger on BL-03, but it is slower and more bloated than the ****. BL-03 also benefits from amping in tightening the bloated bass.

So it depends on what you look out for in your music. Maybe **** is for more complex music with multiple competing instruments or synthetic instruments. BL-03 is better for slower genres which incorporate a lot of acoustic instruments. FWIW, I sold away my **** after I got my BL-03 as most of my music genres have acoustic instruments like jazz, classical and acoustic, and I couldn't tolerate the ****'s artificial timbre, even though **** was technically more superior than the BLON. There's a **** Pro version that came out recently with one extra BA, don't have it but maybe u can ask the others about their opinion on it.

Good luck in your search!

Feb 19, 2020 at 12:42 AM Post #2,588 of 6,129
Am I the only one who still gets surprised every so often how incredible this iem is?!

I haven't had mine for very long yet, but yes, they are pretty damn awesome and sound much better than they should for $36.

With the right tips, and a little cut in the mid-bass region they really are great.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2020 at 12:43 AM Post #2,589 of 6,129
Not sure on the 05's exact specs and driver material. BGGAR and some other prominent reviewers had a prerelease set, it looked a bit too bright for me from BGGAR's vid (I'm quite treble/upper mids sensitive so YMMV), but they are still in the midst of gathering feedback and finetuning the final FR.

**** and BLON BL-03 are pretty opposite in tuning, but both would be very good entry IEMs (without breaking the bank) to see what type of sound signature u prefer:

**** - more balanced, note weight thinner, better soundstage and technicalities (instrument separation, clarity, details), very artificial timbre/tonality. Needs amping IMO as the piezos handling the treble frequencies need some juice. Without amping (low powered sources), the treble is a bit dull. Subbass extension is quite good.
BLON BL-03 - better timbre/tonality, poorer technicalities. Harmanish with a midbass bump. Much worse fit OOTB without resorting to aftermarket tips +/- cables for most westerners. **** has also a notoriously bad stock red flange tip, but it is easier to fit than BLON BL-03 IMO. The midbass quantity is larger on BL-03, but it is slower and more bloated than the ****. BL-03 also benefits from amping in tightening the bloated bass.

So it depends on what you look out for in your music. Maybe **** is for more complex music with multiple competing instruments or synthetic instruments. BL-03 is better for slower genres which incorporate a lot of acoustic instruments. FWIW, I sold away my **** after I got my BL-03 as most of my music genres have acoustic instruments like jazz, classical and acoustic, and I couldn't tolerate the ****'s artificial timbre, even though **** was technically more superior than the BLON. There's a **** Pro version that came out recently with one extra BA, don't have it but maybe u can ask the others about their opinion on it.

Good luck in your search!
Cheers for the info!

My thinking is the piezo is being used to add a little tasteful brightness to the BL-03's treble, but I'd imagine it would be tricky to tune for. I'll have to do some more digging on info before the end of March.

Feb 19, 2020 at 1:40 AM Post #2,590 of 6,129
Hello.... Still learning the ropes here... Can somebody please confirm for me that this ballanced cable will be 100% safe to use from balanced output of my Sabaj DA3
NZ$ 24.84 32%OFF | Hi-END 2.5mm TRRS BALANCED Cable, HD650 HD600 HD660s Silver & Copper Twisted headphone upgraded cable
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/_TRThC
and fit all my 2-pin IEM earpieces?

Feb 19, 2020 at 7:35 PM Post #2,591 of 6,129
Feb 22, 2020 at 6:20 PM Post #2,592 of 6,129
These have no business sounding as good as they do for 40$

Feb 22, 2020 at 7:00 PM Post #2,593 of 6,129
They really do punch way above their price category
AE2670C1-F77A-4B02-8F4E-2345ADE6E8B9.jpeg

Feb 23, 2020 at 2:16 AM Post #2,594 of 6,129
I want to through out a source suggestion for the 03 I've been happy with.
See the thorn twist in your side
The Fiio BTR5 with a 2.5 balanced cable.
It's another component that is hitting well above its pricepoint, although repeating out of stock popularity has caused sellers to pump the price from 109 to 139-149.

Mother do you think she's dangerous
The extra power helps everywhere and the bass. Low gain.
And the train, it won't stop going No it could slow down
The unbalanced 3.5 output uses one ES9218P for both channels. 2.5 balanced uses one for each channel.
This means more power 220mW at 32ohms and more separation from higher signal to noise for a wider soundstage.

Talk, talk, talk, talk. Hey, I felt the coldness of my winter.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fii...-ll-aptx-hd-ldac.918298/page-71#post-15481370
And a freight train running through the middle of my head.
I'm using a Tripowin Zonie $16 cable from Linsoul. Here.
They've let him lie for a long long time . . . til the rains from heaven did fall.
11211Tripowin_Zonie_Cable_2_1024x1024.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2020 at 3:29 AM Post #2,595 of 6,129
A common complaint I’ve read about the bl-03 is that they have “poor technical ability” but what are people referring to exactly?

The reason I ask is because I can’t really hear much wrong with my set. The only thing I notice is that the soundstage is a little bit narrow, and there’s a little bit of congestion in busy passages of music. The instrument separation is probably not the best either but it’s certainly not “poor”, so I’m just wondering if there’s something in particular that maybe I’m not hearing? Or maybe I got lucky and have one of the better built sets?

For reference, I own multiple TOTL IEM’s such as Sony IER-Z1R & M9, QDC Anole VX, Campfire Solaris and other high end sets and honestly the Blons are in the mix with those guys which is almost crazy to say, but I can’t argue with what I’m hearing. I also own the KZ ZSX & Tin T4 which are in a similar price category but the Blons are leaps and bounds ahead in every way.

Sorry I don’t mean to sound like I’m hyping the blons any further than they already are, I’m just genuinely curious what the technical shortfalls are so I can try and notice them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back