Blon in ear monitors impressions thread
Nov 24, 2019 at 11:46 AM Post #1,397 of 6,129
The look of the BL-05 is very nice. I find that style very comfortable. Going to be hard to not order one especially now that I have found my end game "fun" IEM. Still its very interesting to me.
Does anybody know if its single dynamic or hybrid? Maybe a single dynamic DLC?

The Chinese text says something about 7 layers porcelain horn:
chrome_2019-11-24_08-55-04.png

I'd guess it can be either a piezoelectric driver in a hybrid configuration or a kinda horn waveguide device to improve highs. Who knows...

This post from the "insider" gives an idea that will be there 2 models; one hybrid and 1DD model, so possibly the BL-05 could be a hybrid and the BL-04 could be the BL-03 with longer nozzle and new tuning. Hopefully, we'll know all the details asap. :D

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2019 at 12:10 PM Post #1,399 of 6,129
A bit of an update.

I tried my girlfriend's UE amp with the 03s and the difference is definitely pretty astounding.

Even more astounding in some ways was switching the Sedna tips down a size. It completely brought down the approx 250hz range that I was finding a bit too intense.

The Sedna tips still add a load of high end, so I'm still rolling that off a bit for modern pop stuff...

Anyway... I have a Ztella Dac/Amp cable coming in the next couple weeks. And a replacement cable. Hopefully those two things will make it even better.

My girlfriend uses the UE (CIEM Ref Remastered) for work and knows them ver well. She loved the Blons. Like... They're not as good obv, but she's thinking for a cheap OTG set they might be her endgame.

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2019 at 7:24 PM Post #1,401 of 6,129
A bit of an update.

I tried my girlfriend's UE amp with the 03s and the difference is definitely pretty astounding.

Even more astounding in some ways was switching the Sedna tips down a size. It completely brought down the approx 250hz range that I was finding a bit too intense.

The Sedna tips still add a load of high end, so I'm still rolling that off a bit for modern pop stuff...

Anyway... I have a Ztella Dac/Amp cable coming in the next couple weeks. And a replacement cable. Hopefully those two things will make it even better.

My girlfriend uses the UE (CIEM Ref Remastered) for work and knows them ver well. She loved the Blons. Like... They're not as good obv, but she's thinking for a cheap OTG set they might be her endgame.

Definitely amping tightens the bass and makes it less bloated for me.

I have a feeling a lot of folks saying the BL-03's bass is very boomy are using eartips/low powered sources that are not very compatible with the midbass. Though caveat is I'm a basshead so maybe the rest have less tolerance to the BL-03's bass.

Nov 24, 2019 at 9:03 PM Post #1,402 of 6,129
as someone who went with widebore tips early, the midbass really never was much of a concern at all. I feel like the mark of a truly good IEM can be how its tuned so well that the very shape of your ear and the best tips for your desired sound can vary across the spectrum. Some people here are slapping on a subbass boost with the tape mod or EQ, others are reaching for the high end with sednas, and some want the full bass experience with foams. If you're not happy with the sound, you just might need some better tips for the sound you want because these blons truly put many many older earbuds to shame across the price performance spectrum. hopefully the 1DD is improved enough to warrant getting :) you can definitely be happy with just some plain tennmak whirlwinds (which are supposed to boost high end too) or some TRN foams from aliexpress too

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2019 at 11:34 AM Post #1,403 of 6,129
Definitely amping tightens the bass and makes it less bloated for me.

I have a feeling a lot of folks saying the BL-03's bass is very boomy are using eartips/low powered sources that are not very compatible with the midbass. Though caveat is I'm a basshead so maybe the rest have less tolerance to the BL-03's bass.

I got the Sony MH 755s in the post today and they're pretty amazing for a fiver, no doubt. But I put the Sednas on them and they suddenly were significantly better.

So as a test I put the 755 tips on the Blon and.... No good.

Fine like, but... That boomy bass was back.

Astounding how much tips matter. Its mad that more IEM companies don't really really spend the time on them that they deserve.

Nov 25, 2019 at 12:03 PM Post #1,405 of 6,129
Got myself a $3 cable from KBEar to pair with my BL03 and they're super comfortable now when I wear them. Works equally well when worn cable up or down. If someone's looking for a replacement cable they should surely check it out. It's KBEar's version of ZSN pink cable as wire is eerily similar on the outside and titling is very similar. I bought TFZ style connector which fits flush. Link for those who are interested -

https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/5llfGqjW

Nov 25, 2019 at 5:12 PM Post #1,408 of 6,129
@zachmal

I think that most of the changes are to do with the fit, original cable has a tendency to pull out the item from the ear canal.

The new cable, even worn over the ears doesn't pull, so a tighter fit and with it a nice bass response. (To my ears anyway)

Treble, timbre and soundstage are the same, and a little more gain as it's a balanced cable. Volume level mostly in mid 40s through my Fiio M11.

Cost was about £11 on AK Audio store through AliExpress.

Hope this useful to you.

Nov 25, 2019 at 5:58 PM Post #1,409 of 6,129
I brought the Blon to the office this morning, dressed with the Null Audio cable. People's faces were priceless. Within minutes, 3 workmates came to me asking what kind of IEM it was. Always having spare tips in the carrying case, one immediately ordered a pair after he listened to it and I told him about the whole cash needed for a full set (extra cable and tips incl.). Interesting enough, they never had asked about my now sold DM6, S8F and still in my possession Sony N3, E5000 or even the Fibae Black.

What follows is pretty long and unnecessary. If you like a somewhat dark, bass- and mids driven sound signature, being ok with letting go some "air" or "sparkle" in the treble, then don't waste your time and go buy a pair of BL-03 (not 4 like @FastAndClean, ok? 2 are sufficient ahahahahah) if you haven't so far. For the others, you might want to read, but family being out for once, some drinks and nice music brought me to blablablabla :)

A few posts ago, some head-fiers were comparing the BL-03 to other IEMs in their possession, most of the time priced way up north than the Blon.

Just my take on this funny exercice (vs. BL-03), knowing that I do like a compromise between resolution and a decent amount of bass, mids being very important to me and metallic, unnatural treble a real nightmare for my ears. I choose musicality over technicalities and/or graphes every day of the week. I intensely am listening to music since 1987, everything from OST to Drone, 80's synth pop to dub techno, from Dire Straits to short-lived unknown bands from my area.

From memory:
1) DM6 (sold in May) - USD 169/199: For what is worth after having spent so many months away from the DM6, let's say that both IEMs don't have a lot in common to start with (1DD vs. 5BA). I actually miss my ex-DM6 quite a bit. I am reconsidering buying another pair to use with the Calyx M. It should be a good synergy. Anyway, BL-03 is less impressive, technically speaking, but also is less source picky. Both benefit from proper amplification, but the DM6 hates bad recorded or poorly mastered tunes. The BL-03 is much more forgiving and remains a better "all-rounder". More bass and meatier mids for the Blon, better resolution and forward vocals with treble emphasis for the DM6. Choose your ice cream flavor, double caramel or strawberry sorbet? Still, with the right synergy and quality audio material, I remembered going "higher" with the DM6.... which ended being almost 3 times more expensive than the Blon, both equipped with premium aftermarket cables. Dropping pure listening pleasure and budget into the equation results in a draw for me.

2) S8F (sold in October) - USD 489: I had to sell my pair a few weeks ago, cash needed back in the days. Now, very surprisingly, I don't think I would pay that amount of money for that kind of slightly bright, clear and very detailed signature anymore. I loved my S8F, but for 3 times less money, I surely could live with the DM6 instead of the S8F, if the need of a BA-only IEM should arise anytime soon. The comparison between the BL-03 and the S8F is taking the same route as the one with the DM6, seeing the S8F offering much more bass in quality and quantity, but also a night/day layering level. You get more than the DM6, and also than the Blon for sure, but I have issues justifying, in my opinion and regarding my financial ressources, spending so much cash in a pretty specific sounding IEM, which has very good technicalities, but requests a lot of criteria around it to sound as it should, meaning source, audio material and sound signature preference.

From my modest IEMs collection:

-> battles in the higher tier (FIGHT!!)

1) Sony N3 - USD 249 (with upgraded Sony 3.5mm cable and JVC Spiral Dots/Final E tips): Here, cost-no-object, the N3 impresses with better defined bass and smooth yet detailed treble. The mids are clean and clear, without being recessed or too forward. Please note that the stock tips, the triple-comfort proposal, did not convince me at all. JVC Spiral Dots is the way to go for Electronic or bass-friendly music and they transform the N3. The Final E tips for the vocals and rock, metal. Then you can start banging your head and sing along. The BL-03 is beaten in every area, but surprisingly not by (too) far. Even in the price comparison exercice, it is a very close second, but behind the N3 anyway.
NB: for the ones who listen to a multitude of music genres, the N3 also requires cable and tips rolling to show its tremendous potential. A sadly underestimated gem, at a realistic price.

2) Final E5000 - USD 279 (a bit cheaper now): The E5000 is a love story. For me at least. This is my all-time favorite IEM, with the right set-up. A tiny, very comfortable, power hungry single DD with a warm and darkish sound signature that shines with a powerful, clean and clear source (the DTR1 i.e.). Fit is fantastic. Do you like going deep? Embrace the E5000. Musicality at a very high grade, with enough details to hear everything a properly mastered and recorded track has to offer. We love or we hate the E5000. Hit or miss. Difficult to put it head-to-head with the BL-03. They are siblings actually. BL-03 is a baby E5000, soundwise speaking. The E5000 remains a tour-de-force by Final. Bass is slightly boomier on the BL-03 and the instrument separation just average compared to the E5000. Treble seems similar, but when the BL-03 shows (over-)smoothness, the E5000 succeeds in keeping a very decent instrument separation and a satisfying layering. My BL-03 set-up at USD 130.- vs. the E5000 at USD 400 is very legit and they have a lot in common. Think having pleasure driving a 330i, knowing the M3 awaits you in the garage (please replace with any brand you like, not starting a debate here :))

3) Fibae Black, universal fit - USD 450: Single BA (heavily tuned from Custom Arts) vs. single DD. The Black sound signature is all about the mids. Bass is controlled and the sweet highs perfect to my ears. It lacks a bit of treble sparkle and is sometimes even darker than the E5000. Very musical IEM with a addictive sound signature, but it requires a transparent and powerful source. A well-known reviewer named it the "black siren". 2 words which describe everything. Read between the lines. Switching from (almost) any BA-driven IEM makes you think you lost everything, excepting mids. Where is my bass, my treble, my "energy"? Don't worry, let the music play and growing on you, the tunes you know and you like. When the music is not playing between your ears, but playing with your hairs and your spine. This is what the Fibae Black does. So, what about the Blons? More bass, less mids, different kind of rolled-off treble, immediate pleasure - The BL-03 continues to pull while the Black shows more elasticity. Too much bass at a certain level of "BOOM" also might became fatiguing. BL-03 is a steeplechase runner, the Black a marathoner.

-> battles in same league (TKOs) - very short impressions

1) Venture Electronic Bonus IE - USD 20: My least favorite set. Boomy bass, average comfort, recessed mids and elevated treble. Do you know what "V" means? Let me introduce you to its father... this IEM is nothing but "V". The more I listen to it the more I want to throw it out of the window... but no, I have surprised myself using it with Tidal and some EDM while commuting. It prevents from falling asleep after a day of intense work. Summary: no match with the BL-03. The latter being closer in "pleasure quality" to my 2 preferred IEMs than the Bonus IE to the Blon.

2) Final E1000 - USD 40: The E1000 is natural sounding, without any emphasis on anything. Treble is quite soft. A very strong offering for commuting, fit and isolation being excellent! With the E1000, you are eating an average sandwich on a bank for lunch and with the BL-03, you are seated in a restaurant enjoying a juicy steak with fries (sorry for the vegans).

About time to shut-up...and listen

Music is my life, guys and girls. Even after so many years in that hobby, this is so nice to be a part of a community like ours, full of good, nice, helpful and sometimes rude, frustrated and I-know-better-than-you people like you and me. It's all about music, for the majority of us, isn't it? I hope at least :)

BL-03!! For me, an amazing tuning in a pretty shell for the price of a tête-à-tête in any fastfood. You add some tips and a decent cable? Take your date to the theatre, add pop-corn and a soda. With some luck, you won't sleep alone. Worst case scenario with a pair of Blons in the ears :)

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2019 at 9:08 PM Post #1,410 of 6,129
I got the Sony MH 755s in the post today and they're pretty amazing for a fiver, no doubt. But I put the Sednas on them and they suddenly were significantly better.

So as a test I put the 755 tips on the Blon and.... No good.

Fine like, but... That boomy bass was back.

Astounding how much tips matter. Its mad that more IEM companies don't really really spend the time on them that they deserve.

The budget CHIFI companies seem to spend most of their cash on the tuning and IEM itself, with sparse accessories (like crappy cables/tips) being common at the budget segment. I can see why they are doing this though, as they have to cut corners somewhere to save money and yet at the same time provide us cheap bang for buck IEMs.

Cables are a controversial subject on whether they change the sound of an IEM, but for sure a heavily microphonic or overly stiff cable is not too useful. But eartips are the ones that can truly make or break an IEM IMHO. We also all have different ear anatomies and CHIFI companies make their IEMs/tips with their local Chinese population in mind, so unfortunately there'll always be a subset of folks that cannot get a good fit with stock tips OOTB. But agreed, some stock tips are worse than others - looking at you, BLON BL-03 and **** (horrendous red flange stock tips!)

Lucky we in this hobby know how to tiproll and have a stash of eartips on hand for this!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back