Blon in ear monitors impressions thread
Jun 11, 2021 at 8:42 PM Post #5,761 of 6,129
For $30 I CANT go wrong 🤔

Jun 11, 2021 at 11:37 PM Post #5,762 of 6,129
Here's a BLON MINI review: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/blon-bl-mini.25157/reviews#review-26048

3.5/5 stars

WhatsApp Image 2021-06-05 at 21.48.01.jpeg

Pros
Excellent fit and good built. Unique housing that works!
Good isolation.
Above average technicalities.
2 pin connector – better lifespan than MMCX in general.
Easy to drive.

Cons
Overly boomy/nebulous bass with midbass bleed.
7 kHz area can be hot with some sibilance.
Timbral accuracy issues.

TLDR:
The BLON MINI is a V shaped budget set with above average technicalities, but has some slight issues in timbre and tonality. It thankfully fixes the fit issues of previous BLON iterations. The BLON MINI looks weird, but actually has a very good fit and isolation to boot.

Jun 11, 2021 at 11:52 PM Post #5,763 of 6,129
@baskingshark looking forward to reviewing my own Mini when it arrives. Btw, I notice you refer to technicalities in your reviews. When you mention technicalities what aspects are you referring to?

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2021 at 11:54 PM Post #5,764 of 6,129
@baskingshark looking forward to reviewing my own Mini when it arrives. Btw, I no ice up u refer to technicalities in your reviews. When you mention technicalities what aspects are you referring to?

Technicalities = soundstage, imaging, instrument separation, microdetails etc

Jun 12, 2021 at 7:25 AM Post #5,765 of 6,129
Hi, after some change (cable and reversed tip) i get pretty good sound with the Blon 03, now it's the seal i'll need to get better, i have better sound on right ear then left, but if i press more the left iem i get good sound on both side, i may have a different size of ear.. so molded tip can be a solution ?

Which model would you recomend ? again a price how reasonable compare to blon 03 :slight_smile:

Thx

Jun 12, 2021 at 5:36 PM Post #5,766 of 6,129
I have had the same problem, it was really frustrating. I have tried all the tips I have, then I've bought and tried all of the recommended ones like Sedna, KZ,F-audio tips and the only tips that sorta worked for me were some old double flanged that I have.Then the SpinFit CP145 came and gave me the perfect fit. No issues any more, they work super with the 03 for me. I like them so much, that I used them on my Fiio FH3 as well. You can give them a try.

Jun 12, 2021 at 10:54 PM Post #5,767 of 6,129
Hi, after some change (cable and reversed tip) i get pretty good sound with the Blon 03, now it's the seal i'll need to get better, i have better sound on right ear then left, but if i press more the left iem i get good sound on both side, i may have a different size of ear.. so molded tip can be a solution ?

Which model would you recomend ? again a price how reasonable compare to blon 03 :slight_smile:

Thx
Not sure what you think of foams, but I had fit issues with the BL03, and someone a few pages ago suggested the NewBee foams:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/blon-in-ear-monitors-impressions-thread.916702/post-16362278

They are pretty cheap and seal well.

Jun 15, 2021 at 5:09 AM Post #5,770 of 6,129
I have had the same problem, it was really frustrating. I have tried all the tips I have, then I've bought and tried all of the recommended ones like Sedna, KZ,F-audio tips and the only tips that sorta worked for me were some old double flanged that I have.Then the SpinFit CP145 came and gave me the perfect fit. No issues any more, they work super with the 03 for me. I like them so much, that I used them on my Fiio FH3 as well. You can give them a try.
What about real molded tips ? that can work with Blon 3 ?

Jun 15, 2021 at 6:06 AM Post #5,771 of 6,129
I keep hearing good stuff about the Blon 3, but I'm worried about one thing - I listen to a lot of Symphonic Metal (Epica, Nightwish etc), and because there's a lot of female-front high vocals in those, my ears get shredded with the highs. Everything is just too bright and painful. Blon3 mentioned to have a tamer highs, and I was wondering if anyone had experience with this kind of music (source is a mobile phone with no amp).

Jun 15, 2021 at 6:51 AM Post #5,772 of 6,129
I keep hearing good stuff about the Blon 3, but I'm worried about one thing - I listen to a lot of Symphonic Metal (Epica, Nightwish etc), and because there's a lot of female-front high vocals in those, my ears get shredded with the highs. Everything is just too bright and painful. Blon3 mentioned to have a tamer highs, and I was wondering if anyone had experience with this kind of music (source is a mobile phone with no amp).

The BLON does have an upper mids peak, it is more apparent on poorly recorded music or at louder volumes (Fletcher Munson curve). Also this is partially dependent on hearing health and types of eartips used (a lot of us are not using stock tips on this set due to the atrociously short nozzle, mandating that most need longer aftermarket eartips or mods).

So female vocals are usually concentrated at this upper mids area, it can be peakish as above. I don't consider upper mids as treble region (which is tame on the BLON BL-03).

Jun 15, 2021 at 8:04 AM Post #5,773 of 6,129
That's good to hear. I don't have much experience with IEM, but my previous Budget headphones, MEE M6, were really hurting my ears listening to energetic music. I was able to bring it down by EQing into Harman, but I really want fun V shaped Headphones - Hopefully the BLON are just that.

Any specific tips that are recommended the BL03? The MEE-M6 came with Comply, but while comfortable in-ear, I didn't like the process of putting them on. I was decided to go on Silicon tips this time around, I seen SpinFit CP145 being mentioned.

Jun 15, 2021 at 8:12 AM Post #5,774 of 6,129
That's good to hear. I don't have much experience with IEM, but my previous Budget headphones, MEE M6, were really hurting my ears listening to energetic music. I was able to bring it down by EQing into Harman, but I really want fun V shaped Headphones - Hopefully the BLON are just that.

Any specific tips that are recommended the BL03? The MEE-M6 came with Comply, but while comfortable in-ear, I didn't like the process of putting them on. I was decided to go on Silicon tips this time around, I seen SpinFit CP145 being mentioned.

Spinfits have longer nozzles in general and can help to fix the fit issues of the short nozzle of the BLON BL-03.
The Spinfit CP145 is more neutralish, the Spinfit CP100 is more V shaped (perceived more bass/treble), both can fit the BLON BL-03.

If you are more adventerous, you can try spacer mods or the KZ reverse starline mod:

Spacer mods here (pics included, credit to these folks), YMMV:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/chinese-asian-brand-iem-info-thread.820747/page-1745#post-15176790
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/chinese-asian-brand-iem-info-thread.820747/page-1841#post-15260691
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/chinese-asian-brand-iem-info-thread.820747/page-1774#post-15201197

Slater's reverse KZ starline mod: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/flip-tips-prepare-to-have-your-mind-blown.906357/ (credit to Slater).

Well it takes a bit of work (such as sourcing for aftermarket tips/mods) to get the BLON BL-03 sounding nice, and I would understand if some folks would just prefer to get something working OOTB with minimal fuss. But if u can put in the work, you would be rewarded with something that costs way more than the $20ish USD asking price.

Jun 15, 2021 at 8:46 AM Post #5,775 of 6,129
I have been playing multiple instruments during my whole life, but I never really delve into Audio before (those are my 2nd IEMS). So while I can easily tell you what note your playing just by listening to it, and all around have very sensitive hearing, I don't have much audio experience. I knew the M6 were painful for me, and the highs are to blame. After I did some reading, learning what Response graph is, and learning to use the proper "words", I can tell those were just too bright for me. The 2k-10k was too much.

So the point is, as I'm still "learning", it's hard for me to know if I want more V shaped ear-tips or more neutral. So I guess I will be "guessing" right now (unless you think I should start with either 100 or 145). Spacer mods looks awesome, but again - I probably should start with simple that just "Works", at least until I can have better understanding.

The MEE M6 Pro came with a large kit of silicon tips. I tried to look for 4mm one (CP100) and it was a bit too shallow in my ear. Hard to tell really, because they don't have the same structure. I was able to tell though, I probably need medium - so that's something :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back