Blon in ear monitors impressions thread
May 29, 2021 at 8:50 AM Post #5,731 of 6,129
I done a very very brief A/B between my BL-03 and Andromeda 2020. The sound was closer than I would care to admit so I stopped the comparison pretty much straight away to prevent any further embarrassment.

Take this obviously with a massive grain of salt as the levels were not matched and it was not critical listening. But who listens critically when they are enjoying their favourite albums?

May 29, 2021 at 8:58 AM Post #5,733 of 6,129
I done a very very brief A/B between my BL-03 and Andromeda 2020. The sound was closer than I would care to admit so I stopped the comparison pretty much straight away to prevent any further embarrassment.

Take this obviously with a massive grain of salt as the levels were not matched and it was not critical listening. But who listens critically when they are enjoying their favourite albums?
Yes entry level gear has gotten really good over the last few years. If I was hard up I could happily live with the Blon Mini plus Sony A55 and still thoroughly enjoy my music. Obviously not on level with my top rigs, but still plenty good

May 29, 2021 at 9:29 AM Post #5,734 of 6,129

Haha! I felt exactly the same as you when I compared my Campfire Audio Vega (which I've since returned). I've also compared the Blon 03 with my friend's Meze Rai Penta, and even with those, whilst the Rai Penta is obviously the superior IEM or which that I can never deny, the Blon weren't far off in terms of shere musical enjoyment.

It really goes to show that you don't need to spend thousands or Pounds/Dollars for quality audio gear. Many headphone reviewers on YouTube get paid by these big companies to review their products (as much as they deny they haven't been paid, I don't believe them). The way these reviewers talk of many of these headphones and IEMs isn't always accurate to what you get.
I must admit that I got sucked in to thinking that you need to pay top buck for quality audiophile gear.

Massive respect to Chi-Fi brands, who are catering to us poorer folk, who aren't privileged to burn money.

I'm using the Blon 03 for musical enjoyment and bass heavy tracks I love, and I'm using my Etymotic ER4SR for reference / neutral listening. All a total of £225. That's me set for a very long time.

Last edited:
May 29, 2021 at 12:51 PM Post #5,735 of 6,129
Haha! I felt exactly the same as you when I compared my Campfire Audio Vega (which I've since returned). I've also compared the Blon 03 with my friend's Meze Rai Penta, and even with those, whilst the Rai Penta is obviously the superior IEM or which that I can never deny, the Blon weren't far off in terms of shere musical enjoyment.

It really goes to show that you don't need to spend thousands or Pounds/Dollars for quality audio gear. Many headphone reviewers on YouTube get paid by these big companies to review their products (as much as they deny they haven't been paid, I don't believe them). The way these reviewers talk of many of these headphones and IEMs isn't always accurate to what you get.
I must admit that I got sucked in to thinking that you need to pay top buck for quality audiophile gear.

Massive respect to Chi-Fi brands, who are catering to us poorer folk, who aren't privileged to burn money.

I'm using the Blon 03 for musical enjoyment and bass heavy tracks I love, and I'm using my Etymotic ER4SR for reference / neutral listening. All a total of £225. That's me set for a very long time.

It's easy to fall into the trap of listening to the gear and forgetting the music.

May 29, 2021 at 12:56 PM Post #5,736 of 6,129
Had a chance to spend some quality time with my new BL-03 over the past few days. I wasn't happy with the fit of the 01 and having read all the complaints about the 03 I knew this would be a risk too. Thankfully they are the most comfortable fit I've experienced with an IEM. I'm using Symbio F and get a decent seal. Timbre is great, the bass is tasty and theres enough action up top to catch some of the upper harmonics. Definitely a keeper!

May 30, 2021 at 8:39 PM Post #5,737 of 6,129
I only like the BL-03 with the nozzle completely filled with cotton, micropore tape as a mesh, Comply T-600 tips in reverse and stuffing the T-600 tips completely with cotton as well.

Very surprisingly, the vocals and highs still remain present and clear, just a lot of sibilance and harshness has been eliminated.

May 31, 2021 at 12:26 AM Post #5,738 of 6,129
I only like the BL-03 with the nozzle completely filled with cotton, micropore tape as a mesh, Comply T-600 tips in reverse and stuffing the T-600 tips completely with cotton as well.

Very surprisingly, the vocals and highs still remain present and clear, just a lot of sibilance and harshness has been eliminated.
I just did @Slater 's mesh-mod on my 03's and found the results quite pleasing. Certainly recommended if you haven't tried them that way.

I made baffles on the longer side so may try again with shorter bits of wipe and see what the results are. I kept the stock metal and foam grills, as i hadn't ordered any replacements and don't have any micropore tape.

Been meaning to try this for ages, and in fact had hardly been using my 03's as i didn't find them as good all rounders as the MH750, especially with TV and movies. Their boomy bass was a bit annoying as well. The mod seems to have helped a lot with both issues.

Has anyone tried this mod on the new BL-minis?

Last edited:
May 31, 2021 at 3:53 AM Post #5,739 of 6,129
I just did @Slater 's mesh-mod on my 03's and found the results quite pleasing. Certainly recommended if you haven't tried them that way.

I made baffles on the longer side so may try again with shorter bits of wipe and see what the results are. I kept the stock metal and foam grills, as i hadn't ordered any replacements and don't have any micropore tape.

Been meaning to try this for ages, and in fact had hardly been using my 03's as i didn't find them as good all rounders as the MH750, especially with TV and movies. Their boomy bass was a bit annoying as well. The mod seems to have helped a lot with both issues.

Has anyone tried this mod on the new BL-minis?
Yes I removed the stock mesh a while ago. It made the transient response a bit quicker, made the bass less boomy and everything more forward.

With the cotton mod, they sound closer to my Final E5000 and E3000 IEMs, which is more to my liking sound signature wise.

Last edited:
May 31, 2021 at 7:37 AM Post #5,741 of 6,129
Currently using Unique Melody stock silicone tips (L) size. I usually use a size S or M and go for a deep insertion but the wings of the large tip fills the concha allowing a shallower insertion and great isolation. The bore and neck of the UM silicones is some of the most firm silicone/plastic I've come across which ensures the tips sit proud of the body of the BL03 and atop the rim, giving some extra insertion depth.

Hope this helps someone on their search for a better fit. I'm fairly certain they can be bought separately as part of a forthcoming UM accessory package.

Edit: these outperform, to my ears, CP145 and all the foams I've tried, they seem to keep the signature very clean without bass bloom I was getting on the foams. Very clean and timbrally accurate across the frequencies.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2021 at 11:05 PM Post #5,743 of 6,129
Totally agree. I much prefer the 03 to the 01. With a couple simple mods to get eartips to fit properly and a cable swap, the 03 is a much better unit. One of my favorites that I listen to on a regular basis. I've got both and prefer the 03 over the 01, both for fit and SQ.

Jun 8, 2021 at 3:27 AM Post #5,744 of 6,129
BLON mini came in the mail today, and so far I'm really impressed!

Esp vs the BL-03, I'm getting a much better fit with silicone tips, and therefore a more open and detailed sound vs using foams with the BL-03.

One odd thing I noticed, is there are no indication of L/R on either the IEM or the cable? I just kind of worked it out from how they attach to the cable, but a bit strange there is no L/R or colour to indicate this...

Jun 9, 2021 at 3:53 AM Post #5,745 of 6,129
BLON mini came in the mail today, and so far I'm really impressed!

Esp vs the BL-03, I'm getting a much better fit with silicone tips, and therefore a more open and detailed sound vs using foams with the BL-03.

One odd thing I noticed, is there are no indication of L/R on either the IEM or the cable? I just kind of worked it out from how they attach to the cable, but a bit strange there is no L/R or colour to indicate this...
On my Mini there is written L and R indication on the body of the iem close to the connection point and on the plugs on the cable. The stock cable is quite nice but useless to me without a chin slider

Users who are viewing this thread

Back