Blocked! No more Head-Fi at the office!
May 10, 2004 at 11:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

Canman

Headphoneus Supremus

The IT dept at my office installed a program called Websense which basically blocks everything that doesn’t have to do with work. On some sites there is quota time you can use but not for Head-Fi.

Work sucks if I don’t have Head-Fi to waste time.
frown.gif

I have successfully gotten around it before by using my university library server as a proxy. Unfortunately, my school account is set to expire at the end of this month (I graduated two years ago) so I won’t be able to use it anymore. Does anyone have experience with getting around this program, or does anyone know about using proxy servers in this situation?

May 11, 2004 at 12:08 AM Post #3 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Canman

The IT dept at my office installed a program called Websense which basically blocks everything that doesn’t have to do with work. On some sites there is quota time you can use but not for Head-Fi.

Work sucks if I don’t have Head-Fi to waste time.
frown.gif

I have successfully gotten around it before by using my university library server as a proxy. Unfortunately, my school account is set to expire at the end of this month (I graduated two years ago) so I won’t be able to use it anymore. Does anyone have experience with getting around this program, or does anyone know about using proxy servers in this situation?

More time to view your female colleagues and (wow this would be a first) speak to them. Could be a blessing in disguise
biggrin.gif

May 11, 2004 at 12:09 AM Post #4 of 28
Put your machine at home on a dsl line with a static ip, then use
windows XP and remote desktop. Make it look like you are doing
remote administration
eggosmile.gif

May 11, 2004 at 12:13 AM Post #6 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by kevin gilmore
Put your machine at home on a dsl line with a static ip, then use
windows XP and remote desktop. Make it look like you are doing
remote administration
eggosmile.gif

Kevin, I have cable modem at home which I believe is dynamic ip so that's not going to work...I really don't want to get DSL because I don't have a phone line at home. I use my cell phone for all calls.

Ed, we are using XP pro and IE at work, but I could probably install an alternate browser.

May 11, 2004 at 12:16 AM Post #7 of 28
Some cable companies can supply a static ip...

Or cheat and rig some kind of keepalive and keep the dynamic address
all of a specific day...
Or have the machine email you every time the address changes...

May 11, 2004 at 12:18 AM Post #8 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by PinkFloyd
More time to view your female colleagues and (wow this would be a first) speak to them. Could be a blessing in disguise
biggrin.gif

Advice from the ladies' man...coming from the same guy who started the fart thread
smily_headphones1.gif

May 11, 2004 at 12:18 AM Post #9 of 28
Google for: free anonymous proxy

There are a couple of good ones, but I don't have time to search for you right now.

May 11, 2004 at 12:48 AM Post #10 of 28
carrying on from the setting up remote admin at home.

You could use a IP redirection service like www.no-ip.org or www.serveftp.org which keeps the address pointed to you IP.

or set up a proxy at home and use that.

May 11, 2004 at 1:27 AM Post #11 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by damitamit
carrying on from the setting up remote admin at home.

You could use a IP redirection service like www.no-ip.org or www.serveftp.org which keeps the address pointed to you IP.

or set up a proxy at home and use that.

How would I go about setting up a proxy server using one of these programs?

May 11, 2004 at 1:32 AM Post #12 of 28
you would use one of those services to get around your cable modem dyanamic IP problem.

Then get a program to set up a proxy server on your pc at home. Search google for "free proxy server software" or something.

Or try download.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back