Blast from the past - HD540 Gold
Jan 23, 2006 at 5:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

devwild

1000+ Head-Fier
An acquaintance of mine mentioned he had an old pair of senns he hadn't listened to in some time. The only thing he knew was that they came in a wooden box, and I couldn't think of what that could be at the time.

The other night he dropped them off for me to take a look at. Lo and behold, what do we have but a pair of HD540 Gold Reference headphones - Sennheiser's top headphone circa the late 1980s. I barely remembered mention of them in some odd head-fi posts, and they are definitely hard to dig up information about. Even harder to find pictures of, so I took some
smily_headphones1.gif

Nestled in their wooden box, showing some age:
hd540_1.jpg

What a retro rofile:
hd540_2.jpg

Headband:
hd540_3.jpg

Closeup of the left can:
hd540_4.jpg

And the box - why don't the 650s get this treatment?:
hd540_5.jpg

The earpads had a thin pleather-like covering on the face which had deteriorated completely, probably with help from our crazy pacific northwest weather. You can just barely see in the pictures the white cloth underneath. Makes them a bit itchy to wear
wink.gif
. If anyone has any ideas where he could get replacement pads let me know, as sennheiserusa no longer appears to have them.

Sound wise, I listenned to them a little bit with my home setup. I doubt anything else I have could properly drive the 600 ohm beasts. My primary comparison cans were my FrankenSenns (HD580 driver, HD525 body), HD595, and SA5000s. I used the frankensenns since the 580 replaced these headphones, though they aren't a true representation of a 580. The first thing that struck me was the brightness. The 540s are bright, fairly forward, agressive, and somewhat grainy. They have more high end extension than the HD595 and a bit of sparkle up top at times. I don't have a Grado around anymore, but they stuck me as being closer to a Grado than what head-fiers consider a traditional Senn sound.

For rock/alternative (coldplay, pumpkins) they would be ok except that they fall apart on complex passages and heavy cymbals, getting sloppy all around. They actually do pretty well at instrumental solos and general dynamics. The graininess of the headphones seems to give a false sense of speed that you can see (hear) through if you know the recording. Bass is pretty good and balanced till you get to the far low end where it gets sloppy, but not moreso that I've heard from many other headphones.

For classical (beethoven - berlin phil.) they are actually quite engaging. They present a more intimate experience than my frankensenns or HD595. While the newer Senns are in the audience, and the SA5000s are in the orchestra, the 540s are in the front row. What I percieve as graininess on other music adds to the texture of the music, and also gives it something of a comforting vintage feel. They might sound better out of a tube setup than my current configuration.

I imagine that time and weather probably contributed to how these cans currently sound, but overall, it was an interesting experience. The newer generation is clearly much more refined, but it's eye-opening to see what Sennheiser thought of as "reference" 20 years ago.

580smile.gif

Jan 23, 2006 at 5:30 AM Post #2 of 32
sweet man - nice find
icon10.gif

Jan 23, 2006 at 12:13 PM Post #5 of 32
Fantastic condition, and a very nice box! they might actually be worth more now. Why won't sennheiser continue the wood tradition, and give us those wood boxes today. These companies are getting very sloppy!
rolleyes.gif

Jan 23, 2006 at 12:38 PM Post #6 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by cheechoz
Fantastic condition, and a very nice box! they might actually be worth more now. Why won't sennheiser continue the wood tradition, and give us those wood boxes today. These companies are getting very sloppy!
rolleyes.gif

Agreed! I dropped my 650's (sturdy, but still) cardboard box on the floor, rendering it useless. Perhaps I should build a nice wooden box and use the padding from the cardboard box? (Hey, that's an idea!)

Jan 23, 2006 at 4:07 PM Post #7 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by kin0kin
WOW that's some superb condition phone there!

As I mentioned above, the pads are toast, but otherwise the headphones themselves are in very good condition. Wouldn't hurt to replace the cable with the newer version available from Senn. The box foam should really be replaced, and the outside of the box has its share of surface scratches on the wood and gold paint, but is otherwise in good condition and could probably be restored by someone properly skilled. Note the clasp on the last picture is digitally touched up for my own purposes, you can see the scuffs on it in the first picture.
Quote:

Unfortunately that's in Germany... perhaps if he's interested I can get a head-fier to help out, but that sure is a heafty premium to pay. I'm curious if the HD560 pads would fit, they are available in the US, but I'm not sure the underside of the pads would fit. The HD250 pads should fit but that's a downgrade (pleather, ick), and costs just as much.

Jan 23, 2006 at 4:26 PM Post #8 of 32
Very nice condition

I have a pair of the silver HD540 Reference in decent shape, they were my first listen to a Sennheiser and helped reel-me-in to buying my beloved HD600's.
I was lucky to find the HD540 on eBay years ago for $9.oo plus shipping! (No wooden box though . . too bad). That plus new pads from Senn and I was a happy girl. A real step up from my 1970's vintage AKG 240.
I still occaisionally enjoy a listen with the HD540.

Jan 23, 2006 at 4:55 PM Post #9 of 32
Wow those phones are beautiful! In an 80s bling sort of way, beautiful nonetheless. Is the headband material plastic or some metal? It looks solid and of the construction quality that is not commonly seen today.

Jan 23, 2006 at 5:15 PM Post #10 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by sxr71
Wow those phones are beautiful! In an 80s bling sort of way, beautiful nonetheless. Is the headband material plastic or some metal? It looks solid and of the construction quality that is not commonly seen today.

Plastic. I would say they are of similar durability to the 595s, mainly because of the socket joint between the cans and headband. Keep in mind I consider the 595 more durable than the old 5x5 series because of the cable and the headband (the old 5x5 headband is much easier to break than it looks, I know
rolleyes.gif
)

Jan 23, 2006 at 5:25 PM Post #11 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by devwild
Plastic. I would say they are of similar durability to the 595s, mainly because of the socket joint between the cans and headband. Keep in mind I consider the 595 more durable than the old 5x5 series because of the cable and the headband (the old 5x5 headband is much easier to break than it looks, I know
rolleyes.gif
)

Wow that's too bad. I saw the second picture and the headband looked like aluminum but the fourth clearly shows the plastic finish of the headband. I should have looked more carefully.

I still think the phones look great though, with the gold accents and beautiful wooden box it takes me back to the more decadent era the 80s were for many.

Jan 23, 2006 at 6:40 PM Post #13 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by cheechoz
Why won't sennheiser continue the wood tradition, and give us those wood boxes today.

Because cardboard boxes are cheaper to manufacture.
rolleyes.gif

Very nice looking cans and the condition! They look like a new headphones.

Jan 23, 2006 at 7:37 PM Post #14 of 32
I really like them. Thanks for sharing
biggrin.gif
If only we could go back in time to the good ol' days...

Jan 23, 2006 at 9:33 PM Post #15 of 32
I have HD530's and the sound from mine is not bright at all - the cans also have some midbass hump and are fairly neutral. The pleather pads are not that bad (I have DT880's also) and the headphone is very lightweight and durable. The plastic is of high quality and the joint between the cup and the headband is solid - I already dismantled them. Also the cable on mine is of steel type - like in some HD-25-1's - durable, but bad for the sound quality. I replaced mine with some starquad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back