Blank media
Oct 21, 2008 at 8:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

soMn

100+ Head-Fier
Is this the wrong forum? what's the best blank media to buy for burning from flac to an audio cd? and for that matter, what's the best drive to use? I still have an old Plextor 8x from '01, (among others) that I use for music burning now because it has been so reliable, and at slow speeds it's never made a coaster.

Oct 21, 2008 at 9:44 PM Post #2 of 9
ive got a samsung drive from newegg and generally use verbatim's or memorex. never had any issues...

Oct 21, 2008 at 10:34 PM Post #3 of 9
I remember seeing Taiyo Yuden as a top manufacturer of recordable media. The thing is, they manufacture them, others might sell them as their brand. If you search that name you'll probably find some references and threads talking about different media brands and manufacturers.

I would say, however, that if you have all the FLAC files and are burning a CD for your car or something, don't worry too much. You can always make another if one goes bad. If you are trying to back up something, then you might want to look harder.

Oct 21, 2008 at 10:46 PM Post #4 of 9
well, it's really more that only one system is tied into the pc, so occasionally I just want to burn a new one rather than go and dig through boxes of CDs that I packed away. but I'll check out that Taiyo Yuden as well, thank you.

Oct 21, 2008 at 11:58 PM Post #5 of 9
TY and verbatim are the best

tho be careful, theres alot of fakery

for dvd/cd i always use verbatim

theres even codes to look out for [ie with dvd i always use mcc004 from verbatim] cds have this as well

Oct 22, 2008 at 1:10 AM Post #6 of 9
I use Verbatim that are basically Taiyo Yuden discs. I used to use Mitsubishi Diamond Blue discs, but was told they are no longer in production (man, that was years ago, and the blank media I have was bought nearly 2 years ago).

The are alot of fakes as pointed out by Al4x. Over here, I tend to avoid the rally cheap ones and suspect that are fakes made in China. I remember doing a search about Taiyo Yuden discs, and found that generally the spindle holding Taiyo Yuden discs look different.

Here is an oldish link that you may (or may not) find useful : The Taiyo Yuden FAQ - Club CDFreaks - Knowledge is Power

Oct 22, 2008 at 2:11 AM Post #7 of 9
Really? I got a spindle of Verbatim, and after about 2 plays, the CDs (about 12, mind you, not just one) started to pop and hiss every now and then. Maybe I got fakes?

Anyways, I've since switched back to Memorex, and haven't had a problem.

Oct 22, 2008 at 3:12 AM Post #8 of 9
First of all, not all verbatims are Taiyo Yuden. Then I suppose there could be fakes.

I have also heard that some drives work better with some brands of blank media. So mileage obviously varies quite a bit . . .

My father, for example, has had decent experience with some cheap no name blank media, which has lasted longer than some branded, pricey media.

Oct 22, 2008 at 9:08 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jubei /img/forum/go_quote.gif
First of all, not all verbatims are Taiyo Yuden. Then I suppose there could be fakes.

I have also heard that some drives work better with some brands of blank media. So mileage obviously varies quite a bit . . .

My father, for example, has had decent experience with some cheap no name blank media, which has lasted longer than some branded, pricey media.

yeah there is the matching of media to drive

i use verbatim only, made in taiwan usually, [think made in japan is best] with a lg e60 drive for my dvd backing up, but then its ten time more difficult with dvds

Users who are viewing this thread

Back