Blackberry Z10 + Neutron Music Player = excellent Sound Quality
Jan 29, 2016 at 4:12 PM Post #46 of 56
I was looking for portable players. Have scouted quite a few for the past 4 months. One thing that really annoys me of them all is the interface. So, I found a z10 that was sitting in my shelf (it was my wifes previous phone), decided to repurpose it. Got new battery and case and of course neutron. Once again Blackberry delivers. I used to have the Q5 which I broke. Well the Z10 is as good. The sound quality is amazing. It is crisp. And the UI better than most of the daps out there. One more thing, Blackberry is far from dead for the user that posted that they were dead. Once again, how many updates do you see from these dap players? Not a lot.

Feb 1, 2016 at 1:43 AM Post #47 of 56
Well, some quick research. The Z10 uses the Qualcomm WCD9310. Apparently it supports 24/192 as well.

I've been listening to it a lot tonight. It's hard to tell, really, for me how good the DAC really is compared to others. Initial impressions were that it sounded...clinically restrained, this is compared to my Nokia 820 windows phone. It might have more detail than the iphone 5. It is hard to tell to be honest.

I'm really trying to figure out the DAC on the Z30. No teardown or anything done which would say.

I do like the UI and the sound actually is pretty good. Transferring files is terrible though. For some reason the blackberry software shows the player up as a network location. Transfers are really really slow, not even USB 2.0 speeds.

And is there any podcast app for this thing? I would considering moving to this as full-time media player, as I like the UI and I think it has gapless playback. 

Feb 1, 2016 at 5:43 PM Post #48 of 56
  Well, some quick research. The Z10 uses the Qualcomm WCD9310. Apparently it supports 24/192 as well.

I've been listening to it a lot tonight. It's hard to tell, really, for me how good the DAC really is compared to others. Initial impressions were that it sounded...clinically restrained, this is compared to my Nokia 820 windows phone. It might have more detail than the iphone 5. It is hard to tell to be honest.

I'm really trying to figure out the DAC on the Z30. No teardown or anything done which would say.

I do like the UI and the sound actually is pretty good. Transferring files is terrible though. For some reason the blackberry software shows the player up as a network location. Transfers are really really slow, not even USB 2.0 speeds.

And is there any podcast app for this thing? I would considering moving to this as full-time media player, as I like the UI and I think it has gapless playback. 

Mine shows up as a network location as well (Linux). There is a way, funny enough I was trying to find the bookmark but it has to do with changing the interface. I just couldnt find the bookmark that showed me how to. But it is possible.  I connected my z10 to my loved PAV2 and it really had some serious interference. Didnt try my phone on Airplane mode but will do tonight to see if that fixes it. 

Feb 24, 2016 at 12:45 PM Post #49 of 56
For podcast on my Z10 i use Nobex. But has to be the BB10 version, the android one doesnt have podcasts as far as i know. already shows the most popular podcast and you can add any podcast if you know the RSS link. For file transfer, you can enable USB storage mode and will show as a usb device but only for the microSD. Much faster transfer speeds and you really should only use the microSD for storage and leave the internal memory for app installation.

Dec 19, 2017 at 1:20 AM Post #50 of 56
Just an update:
I was able to direct download and install the Hiby Music apk. All working well including 24/196. Quite pleasant with Koss PortaPros. I was getting itchy for new gear and found this old phone and decided to play around. It has stuttered some but all my memory is maxed on the card and phone so if I cleaned it out a bit I'm sure it would work perfectly.

Dec 19, 2017 at 8:59 AM Post #52 of 56
The Z10 really did have very good quality sound. A friend of mine still uses her Z10 as her daily phone believe it or not and she still really enjoys it.

Dec 19, 2017 at 8:47 PM Post #53 of 56
My Z10 crawled into a halt after a while because of the Android software ports or something kept eating the storage space and memory. I don't see factory resetting as a viable solution, for me its an old phone and can't keep up with my needs so I've replaced it.

Dec 19, 2017 at 10:45 PM Post #54 of 56
My Z10 crawled into a halt after a while because of the Android software ports or something kept eating the storage space and memory. I don't see factory resetting as a viable solution, for me its an old phone and can't keep up with my needs so I've replaced it.

I deleted all my accounts and all installed apps except for Hiby and it wizzes along, no issues. Sorry to hear about yours. I paired my Z10 with Nx1 and PortaPros. Nice “new” combo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back