Black Shure Foamies vs. Comply tips?
Sep 26, 2007 at 5:00 AM Post #16 of 31
Quote:

Comply claims that the gray tips are good for about 3 months of regular use.

No! Maybe a whole pack might last three months IF you use the tips sparingly. I can usually only manage to make a single pair last about a week before I have to throw them out because the foam becomes separated from the tube.

The Shures however have an ultra-long lifetime. I ran out of extra pairs a long time ago, and because I'm stingy, I've been using the same pair for nearly half a year now and they're still as strong as ever. (I have been washing them regularly, of course.)

Sep 26, 2007 at 5:02 AM Post #17 of 31
Any foamie is going to react to the environment and frequent compression and change somewhat over time -- no matter how sturdy they are or hygenic you are. Some (any) foamies "shrivel" up if stored too long exposed to air. So keep your spares sealed up tight, and consider changing foamies for structural reasons even if they seem fine cosmetically. Experiment to see how the different types react -- you will have an excellent stash on which to draw.

Sep 26, 2007 at 5:18 AM Post #19 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by jmpage2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It sounds like I might well save the Comply tips for special occassions like 6+ hour flights, etc.

Thanks for all the advice everyone!

Comply tips are washable: just mix some laundry detergent with warm water in a cup, dump the used complys, and gently squeeze them a few times while they're underwater. The'll look, and feel, as good as new once they are dried.

Sep 26, 2007 at 5:56 AM Post #21 of 31
The only gripe that I have with the comply tips is that they fall out of their inner tubes after a while. I think pulling the foamies when changing the tips has to be the major cause for that.

Sep 26, 2007 at 6:09 AM Post #22 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by analogbox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The only gripe that I have with the comply tips is that they fall out of their inner tubes after a while. I think pulling the foamies when changing the tips has to be the major cause for that.

It's a pity, since I experienced the same problem. Only if there exist a tip that is as comfortable as the complys while being more durable.

Sep 27, 2007 at 2:50 AM Post #23 of 31
does anyone have a picture of black olives that fit on the Futuresonic M5's? a nice person sent me a pair of olives but they are like foam and there is no way to flip them inside out to get a better seal (its physically impossible). So i'm curious as to what exactly is the replacement earbud that everyone has suggested in the FS M5 thread. different angles of the picture of the olives and the exact link on ebay where i can get them would be absolutly terrific I love you.

Sep 27, 2007 at 7:34 AM Post #25 of 31
"there is no way to flip them inside out to get a better seal (its physically impossible):

Right ... just place them on the stem of the earphones so that the tapered "bullet-shaped" end is facing "backwards" and the flattened-off end of the foamie inserts into the ear. In other words, put them on backwards (not inside out). Note that they might be a little more difficult to remove this way, especially the first time (twist and pull simultaneously to remove them).

Sep 27, 2007 at 9:40 AM Post #26 of 31
I just recived my black shures (for my er-6iS).

It solved one problem, the fatiuging snare on the er-6i's. everything sounds more natural, a little bass heavier (in comparison to my ety small biflanges), but the bi's gave me in addition to the fatiuging sibilance and snare a little boost on rythem guitar, that I liked.

So it's a fare trade, I like my er-6i's much better now.

edit: the seal is amazing, seriously! And I recived them just in time for my flight
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 27, 2007 at 2:46 PM Post #27 of 31
The complys are awesome, but they do not last. The foam separates from the tube. The Shure black foam provide the best isolation, are extremely comfy, but slightly muffle the sound.

Sep 27, 2007 at 4:51 PM Post #29 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tipped_Pro95 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The complys are awesome, but they do not last. The foam separates from the tube.

You can fix this
biggrin.gif

"Shoe Goo" brand glue. Put a tiny bit on the inner tube and push the foam part back on. Dries fairly quick.

The lady at the earplug store also told me don't just push these into your ear hole, but compress them first. It will help them last longer without coming apart.

Sep 28, 2007 at 2:40 AM Post #30 of 31
I must have gotten a really great set of Comply tips. I have used them 2-3 hours a day for over a month now without any problems. I have also changed them out on my E500's 30-40 times while comparing them with all of the other tips (they arrived right before a two week trip to Europe, so lots of time to play).

When I remove them from the IEM stem, I am careful to squeeze enough that I am pulling on the tubes and not pulling the foam away from the tubes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back