black gates N series, super E
Sep 21, 2007 at 6:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Mazuki

500+ Head-Fier
The super E configuration for the Blackgates N series is well documented. Has anyone heard about it also being applied to the Nichicon Muse ES series? They're both nonpolar caps, so I assume it can be done?

Sep 21, 2007 at 10:48 PM Post #2 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mazuki /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The super E configuration for the Blackgates N series is well documented. Has anyone heard about it also being applied to the Nichicon Muse ES series? They're both nonpolar caps, so I assume it can be done?

If you're talking about adding some of the 0.47uF-50V NX HiQ's to bypass a Muse ES - yes, it might work well, but I don't know if anyone's tried it. However, there is a documented case of bypassing the ES with the Sonicap GEN II's in Dsavitsk's Notes on Output Coupling Capacitors - with sterling results. The GEN II's are not as cheap as the BG's, but still only $3.30 ea.

Sep 22, 2007 at 3:16 AM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mazuki /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I think Mazuki is refering to a technique to cancel inductance by paralleling two type N caps in opposite directions. Black gate has this page about it: http://www.acoustic-dimension.com/bl...e/techEcap.htm
It should also drop ESR too.

They claim that it only works with their type N caps, but you certainly should experiment to test your idea.

Jeff

Sep 22, 2007 at 3:58 AM Post #5 of 8
"Blackgates N series is well documented"

Hehe... alhough the diyhifi measurements did show that they were excellent capacitors, approaching film territory in their HF performance.

Bollocks on the referenced article is right though... I hadn't read that one in awhile and almost spewed on the LCD in the 2nd para.

Sep 22, 2007 at 5:02 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by DaKi][er /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The super E configuration has been measured and shown to be a complete load of bollocks, you cannot physically cancel inductance like they say you can in the documentation

There is more discussion on it with the measurements somewhere here - http://www.diyhifi.org/forums/viewforum.php?f=13

Yes, well, perhaps I assumed too much from the OP's perspective. What you state is certainly correct. I just assume that everyone knows that around here and the question was in the context of whether bypassing a large cap with a smaller one works to improve performance.

From that perspective, the "Super E" may be nothing more than an outrageous claim that is actually due to the bypassing practice, which as stated with the tiny BG, is not such a bad idea to make a larger cap perform better with high frequencies.

The actual "Super E" configuration uses two caps of the same size, I believe, which seems a bit ridiculous.
blink.gif

Sep 22, 2007 at 11:45 AM Post #7 of 8
I guess I'll just have to give it a shot then (super E w/ Muse ES then). I've already got a couple caps but now need the Blackgates for comparison. Fortunately these low farad N series are pretty low priced for easy experimentation.

Sep 23, 2007 at 5:44 AM Post #8 of 8
I'm still new to DYI, and I thought the story on reducing inductance and ESR in the BG super-cap made some sense, so I tried it. I compared

1) a 100uF BG NX, and

2) parallel end-end super-cap BG 47uF NX, and

3) parallel Dynamicap 5uF and 47uF BG NX

as output coupling caps in a modded Rotel RCD-971, running via Cardas NR into a SP PPX3 SLAM and Equinox / HD600s.

Any bets?

To be fair to all posts I've seen, I burned them all in > 100 hrs (which does seem to matter, at least to my ears). The #3 won, hands down (ok, the bass does bloom a bit). The "super-cap" was not as enjoyable as the straight 100uF.

These ears are mine, so IMHO, of course.

Happy Listening
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back