Black Gates for PPA Question
Apr 26, 2004 at 9:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

IpsilonSound

100+ Head-Fier
I've decided to further maximize the maxed out version of my PPA by replacing electrolytic caps with Black Gates.

The only electrolytic caps used in PPA are C1 and C4.

Can someone who already did that help me with the model#/type of the best Black Gates that would replace them? Are there any other caps that can be replaced besides C1&C4?
Thanks.

Apr 26, 2004 at 9:03 PM Post #2 of 5
The Black Gate FK series is the best for C1/C4. You can also replace all the film caps with BG N-series as well, if you really want to splash out, although BGs aren't too expensive compared to something like the WIMA MKS-2

g

Apr 26, 2004 at 9:57 PM Post #3 of 5
The trouble is that the Black Gate caps are so much larger than regular caps. So you will most likely have to get caps of a lower capacitance unless you are already using big boutique caps. The C1 caps are 12.5mm in diameter. The Black Gate FK 220uF 25V caps will work very well, provided your supply voltage is under 25V. They are about $9 each however. In the standard Black Gate series there are 100uF 50V caps 12.5mm in diameter that are about $5. This may give you less total capacitance than you want.

The C4 caps are 8mm in diameter. There is nothing the in the FK line that will fit. In the standard line you could try 47uF 16V but I wouldnt.

I dont think Black Gates are practical or economical for the PPA. In mine I used Elna Silmics for my C1s (220uf 35V) and Nichicon FG for my C4s )100uF 25V.)

Apr 26, 2004 at 11:04 PM Post #4 of 5
darn dimensions.... it always looks good in theory but when trying to actually implement it, there are pitfalls and headups. It's ok, I'll trying figure out something. The BG FK 100uF 25v 10 x 20 should fit for C4 if pushing the TLE a little bit. And if I use 4(instead of 8) FK 220uF 25v (13 x 25), they should fit tightly too, I think. Tangent recommends using less capacitance for higher grades and more capacitance for lower grades. So that should be just fine. The C2 isn't needed on the amp board since it's on the DDB already.
As for the C3, C5 and C6 I can also use electrolytic ones(N series) instead of metal film?

Apr 26, 2004 at 11:17 PM Post #5 of 5
The 220uF FK is actually 12.5mm in diameter. It should fit without any trouble. I like to have atleast 1000uF of capacitance for total C1 regaurdless of quality, but four should work fine.

The 10mm C4s will be tricky to fit in. It may require very creative tle2426 lead bending.

You can replace any of the film caps with black gate N/NX series. Size is once again your limiting factor.

For C3 you could use the 0.1uf NX but I wouldnt. I would use a film cap and then only if the opamps were oscillating without it.

For C5 you could use the 1uf or 4.7uf N series. There should be enough room for them.

Do not use a black gate for C6 stick with a high quality silver mica or ceramic cap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back