Black Gate alternatives?
Aug 22, 2008 at 6:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

MrKazador

100+ Head-Fier
I was thinking of replacing the 2 output capacitors on my Chaintech av-710. Lots of people recommend Black Gate and was wondering... What are some alternatives?
I'm looking for 6.3v 22uf

Aug 22, 2008 at 10:17 AM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, a good film cap would obviously be best, but I'm wondering, why would you possibly want 22uF? For a 50K amp you need no more than 1uF, for a 10K portable 4.7uF is good and for driving headphones directly, you'll want a lot more than 22uF, so why that value?

It was suggested in another thread that 47uf is "overkill" unless you upgrade the other caps. I really don't know anything about this so any help would be great.
Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Aug 22, 2008 at 10:39 AM Post #7 of 19
Quote:

It was suggested in another thread that 47uf is "overkill" unless you upgrade the other caps. I really don't know anything about this so any help would be great.

The size of the cap determines at what frequency the bass starts to roll off. As Fallenangel said anything over 1uF should be fine.
If you have the space I would suggest this:
Digi-Key - BC2076-ND (Vishay/BC Components - 2222 416 71005)

Aug 22, 2008 at 7:51 PM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by rds /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The size of the cap determines at what frequency the bass starts to roll off. As Fallenangel said anything over 1uF should be fine.
If you have the space I would suggest this:
Digi-Key - BC2076-ND (Vishay/BC Components - 2222 416 71005)

That is too big, the stock caps are 5mm and not much space for something like 15mm. The caps I need to replace are circled in red; http://img235.imageshack.us/img235/2756/phase1hp1.jpg

Where can I buy the caps you guys suggested? A place without a minimum order would be nice...
Thanks.

EDIT: I will be using my Go-Vibe v5 with this. I checked the input impedance and its 8.8k

Aug 23, 2008 at 10:56 AM Post #10 of 19
Creative mounting my friend, creative mounting. If you're using an amp with the AV-710, you really should just go with a nice quality film cap. Consider soldering it on the back of the card.

EDIT: For that GoVibe v5, it's 4.7uF you'll need. Consider Wima MKS for cheap and nice, otherwise you're looking at quite a size increase for most "boutique" film caps.

Aug 23, 2008 at 8:23 PM Post #12 of 19
Wow, interesting selection. I've used similar caps (NPCAP from United Chemicon) in power supply roles, but I've never tried them for audio path. Do you like these better than something like BG/Silmic/Muse, or are they more of a good second choice if those aren't possible?

Muse ES are pretty big for a given capacitance, compared with other boutique types, so that may be a problem for the original poster.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dsavitsk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Try these

94SA226X0020CBP

Good sound, no minimum order, not too expensive, and small.

Aug 23, 2008 at 9:28 PM Post #13 of 19
Got something against BG? Nx Hiq is perfect and you don't lose another PCI slot with foil caps
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back