Black Diamond Vs Blue Dragon
Mar 20, 2006 at 7:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

animalsrush

500+ Head-Fier
No it is not a Pokemon battle. I waited for few weeks for the Balck diamond cable to burn before i could compare both on sound. These are just observations and i don't consider myself an audiophile

Set up:
Source: Rio Karma 5 Band Custom EQ
Music: VBR MP3s at 256 Kbps
Cables: Black Diamond RA mini-mini , Blue Dragon RA Mini- mini
Amp: Headamp AE-1
IEMs: Westone UM2s

Construction:
Black Diamond: This cable is built exceptionally well. I had the connectors upgraded to switchcraft. The black sheating makes it look like a snake. I got the foot long cable and it is about 5 cms shorter than Blue dragon . The connectors are bit wider but the AE-1 has big grooves to receive the cable. The cable is directional ( i think) since it has source and amplifier marked at ends of the cable

Blue Dragon: The cable is also built very well. I had the normal connectors and the connectors are smaller in size (width wise) than the black diamond. The cable is blue in color and has a nice dragon logo at the ends. The cable is non-directional

Sound:
Black Diamond: I will try not to use fancy words to explain how it sounds. In short the sound is clear. The highs are crisp and bass is tight. I have found enhanced depth and clarity that i thought was missing initially. Overall it is one of the most neutral cables i have had. The soundstage has expanded hugely

Blue Dragon: The bass is tight with this cable. The highs were some what recessed. The clarity was there but not as good as Black diamond. There was good depth to the music.

Conlusion: Both are very good cables. If you want good sound for a great price you can't beat Blue dragon. If you want great sound and willing to pay for it get Black Diamond. Kudos to both Myo and Drew for making these excellent cables

Mar 21, 2006 at 1:10 AM Post #2 of 15
Excellent review. I have the RnB Black Diamond and I'm really enjoying them. Btw, they're not directional. I think they're printed there just for reference. Apparently, cables settle after current travels through it in one particular direction. But (ONE BIG BUT) aren't audio signals AC? Then would direction not matter? I dun know. Someone clarify this pls...

Quote:

Originally Posted by animalsrush
No it is not a Pokemon battle.

LOL!!!!!!

Mar 21, 2006 at 1:30 AM Post #3 of 15
I just got some info about the directionality of RnBAudio's offerings from Myo himself.

The reason the words "Source" and "Amplifier" are printed onto the plugs is not because of the electronic directionality or burn-in of the cable, but because of physical break-in. Apparently, cables physically break-in and get "used-to" the way in which they are plugged in. It is (I quote) "more about physical breaking in of the cable rather than burn in. The labels are mainly used for directing which end goes into amp and source for straight to RA configurations or mini to RCA."

Thanks to Myo for his prompt response.

Mar 21, 2006 at 1:36 AM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

No it is not a Pokemon battle. I waited for few weeks for the Balck diamond cable to burn before i could compare both on sound. These are just observations and i don't consider myself an audiophile

Set up:
Source: Rio Karma 5 Band Custom EQ
Music: VBR MP3s at 256 Kbps
Cables: Black Diamond RA mini-mini , Blue Dragon RA Mini- mini
Amp: Headamp AE-1
IEMs: Westone UM2s

Construction:
Black Diamond: This cable is built exceptionally well. I had the connectors upgraded to switchcraft. The black sheating makes it look like a snake. I got the foot long cable and it is about 5 cms shorter than Blue dragon . The connectors are bit wider but the AE-1 has big grooves to receive the cable. The cable is directional ( i think) since it has source and amplifier marked at ends of the cable

Blue Dragon: The cable is also built very well. I had the normal connectors and the connectors are smaller in size (width wise) than the black diamond. The cable is blue in color and has a nice dragon logo at the ends. The cable is non-directional

Sound:
Black Diamond: I will try not to use fancy words to explain how it sounds. In short the sound is clear. The highs are crisp and bass is tight. I have found enhanced depth and clarity that i thought was missing initially. Overall it is one of the most neutral cables i have had. The soundstage has expanded hugely

Blue Dragon: The bass is tight with this cable. The highs were some what recessed. The clarity was there but not as good as Black diamond. There was good depth to the music.

Conlusion: Both are very good cables. If you want good sound for a great price you can't beat Blue dragon. If you want great sound and willing to pay for it get Black Diamond. Kudos to both Myo and Drew for making these excellent cables

Now I know why I don't bother to write reviews!?!?.
biggrin.gif
They would be as meaningless as the above review. No disrespect to animalsrush, but in all reality, did the review tell us anything substantitive. Other than basic descriptions of the physical characteristics of both cables. I guess a cable is a cable is a cable. Enjoy your new cable.

Mar 21, 2006 at 3:38 AM Post #5 of 15
an impression is better than nothing don't you agree??
confused.gif

Mar 21, 2006 at 4:15 AM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder
I just got some info about the directionality of RnBAudio's offerings from Myo himself.

The reason the words "Source" and "Amplifier" are printed onto the plugs is not because of the electronic directionality or burn-in of the cable, but because of physical break-in. Apparently, cables physically break-in and get "used-to" the way in which they are plugged in. It is (I quote) "more about physical breaking in of the cable rather than burn in. The labels are mainly used for directing which end goes into amp and source for straight to RA configurations or mini to RCA."

Thanks to Myo for his prompt response.

Yep, it settles in if you use it one way however, I was told by Zu that if you for some reason switch the direction of the cable the sound won't be degraded but you will have to burn it in all over again until it "Settles in" once more.

Mar 21, 2006 at 4:37 AM Post #9 of 15
Thank you for the impressions at least. I'm going to have to get a new IC eventually, and this does help.

Quote:

Originally Posted by skyline889
Wow, I just used my 600th post to talk about cables
redface.gif

Skyline, congrats on your 600th, and I hear its mighty rainy over on Oahu now that the storm has almost finished flooding Kauai silly.

Mar 21, 2006 at 5:00 AM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by etys rule
Now I know why I don't bother to write reviews!?!?.
biggrin.gif
They would be as meaningless as the above review. No disrespect to animalsrush, but in all reality, did the review tell us anything substantitive. Other than basic descriptions of the physical characteristics of both cables. I guess a cable is a cable is a cable. Enjoy your new cable.

Did you happen to catch the part under the word "Sound:"?

Mar 22, 2006 at 5:00 PM Post #12 of 15
Because there is a definite improvement of the soundstage. Karma is a very good source with 5 band EQ and i can get very instrument seperation and depth. BTW UM2s are great IEMS and IMO they come close to some big headphones ( not fully there but close)

I will try an analogy: People modify thier Honda Civics for performance, when with the money they have spent they could easliy buy a BMW.My current set up is like that souped up Honda Civic .. It gives me what i want with sound and portability but it is not a BMW (yet)

Apr 28, 2006 at 4:46 AM Post #13 of 15
I received my Diamond mini-RCA a week ago. I took first listen to it after about ten hours burn in, it was good but the bass was kinda bloated and the treble was not as nice as my other cabe, Grover UR5. Two days later, I took second listen, wow, the cable totally changed, the bass was tight and controlled, and compared to the Grover UR5, it just sounded more musical. I've been using it instead of UR5 since then. A wonderful cable.

May 2, 2006 at 7:05 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Because there is a definite improvement of the soundstage. Karma is a very good source with 5 band EQ and i can get very instrument seperation and depth. BTW UM2s are great IEMS and IMO they come close to some big headphones ( not fully there but close)

I will try an analogy: People modify thier Honda Civics for performance, when with the money they have spent they could easliy buy a BMW.My current set up is like that souped up Honda Civic .. It gives me what i want with sound and portability but it is not a BMW (yet)

Ya but your not souping up the civic, just tuning it. Still the same-ol heap of an engine. I'd just sell off the UM2's and spend the money on some ES2's. ES's sound great outa the karma.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back