bit perfect usb dac?
Apr 30, 2006 at 11:54 PM Post #4 of 11
Most any usb dacs that use ASIO drivers are bitperfect.

May 1, 2006 at 5:17 AM Post #6 of 11
Let me just clarify. ASIO support means that MOST LIKELY the output is bit perfect. But you can also get bitperfect output without asio support.

All in all it depends on individual implementation. Usually before the DAC stage or some driver level stuff.

May 1, 2006 at 12:11 PM Post #7 of 11
I'm still not sure if I have bit perfect or not. Using asio but still can't play a DTS wav file without hearing just static.

Have looked for an idiot's guide but being an idiot I can't find one
tongue.gif

Anyone know of a simple test?

May 1, 2006 at 12:32 PM Post #8 of 11
DTS/DD passthrough runs at 16bit at 48khz according to my soundcard drivers when i select it as a digital out option. I can't help further since I don't have a decoder for this type of thing.

May 2, 2006 at 12:39 AM Post #10 of 11
The audio processor in the Windows' kernel screws with the sound. This prevents it from being bit-perfect. The workaround for this is either the kernel streaming drivers or ASIO drivers.

Beyond that there's still soundcard drivers and the hardware itself. I remember one of the creative cards (Audigy?) resampled to 44.1khz and then back to 48khz even if a 48khz signal was fed to it on a firmware level. In these cases Mac OSX, or Linux will be just as effected as any Windows machines

May 2, 2006 at 2:24 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Garbz
The audio processor in the Windows' kernel screws with the sound. This prevents it from being bit-perfect. The workaround for this is either the kernel streaming drivers or ASIO drivers.

Beyond that there's still soundcard drivers and the hardware itself. I remember one of the creative cards (Audigy?) resampled to 44.1khz and then back to 48khz even if a 48khz signal was fed to it on a firmware level. In these cases Mac OSX, or Linux will be just as effected as any Windows machines

hardware resampling is done on all creative cards prior to the new X-Fi line. and except from the EMU.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back